Home Forums Bike Forum New hardtail ideas

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • New hardtail ideas
  • mrl

Hi, looking to get a new bike. I want a longish travel hardtail but not sure were to go. I want it for all purpose riding rather than a particular type of riding – rides with kids, short single-track blasts and longer night rides. I have a Santa Cruz 5010 as well, so it won’t be the only bike. Just want another bike!

Think I want steel for comfort but not sure that is a real thing. Would love a Pace 627 or 529 but they are about 3300 for a GX and Pike ultimate build. Current short list of

Bird Forge GX with Pike ultimate roughly 2800 with hope hubs.
    Sonder Signal ST or Ti, 2200 for ST or 2700 for the Ti. GX build again
    Orbea Laufey HD LTD xt-slx build with fox performance forks. 2000

I like the idea of big long travel Bike like the Bird but feel it might be a bit of overkill. The Signal look a bit less extreme but the bikes seem a bit short (reach on the large is the same as my 5010 which is an older model), the Ti version looks good value though and should be nice and light. The Orbea is a last minute add to the list, local shop has one and it looks good and reviewed seem positive. Given that i am not going to be charging down mountains on it it feels the shorter travel Orbea might be a better idea. And it is cheaper!

Anyone picked one of the above and loved/regretting it? Or any other options I can add to the list?

Cheers

davros

I sized up on the signal to the XL for longer reach, so don’t rule it out on that. I’m 6″1 and could probably squeeze in a 180mm dropper. Really happy with mine. There’s a few threads on them somewhere.

But if you can get the orbea now I’d be tempted to go for that as it will probably be 6 months minimum til you can get a signal. And it sounds like decent spec for the money.

pothead
    Free Member

The Signal look a bit less extreme but the bikes seem a bit short

A lad at Alpkit in Gateshead told me they can get the signal ti made to custom geometry/sizing (at extra cost but not sure how much) a couple of years ago, don’t know if that’s still an option but they do look good value

mrl

Cheers, I am 5.11 so sizing up to an XL signal might be a bit much.

hardtailonly

Cotic Solaris?

I’ve a Ragley BigWig, mine’s an older frame (2016 I think) but with a 150mm fork, and 2.5/2.6 tyres, it’s pretty capable and great fun.

stwhannah

Nukeproof Scout might be worth a look (though not steel), or a Pipedream Sirius. There’s always the Moxie if you want to go bigger, but I reckon the Sirius with a top end fork would get you down an awful lot of stuff. In fact, if you’re not getting air or plummeting down a rocky mountain you might find there’s a lot of happiness to be had on a 120mm SID Ultimate rather than a lower end bigger fork.

didnthurt

Hello Dave? Enjoying mine but it’s not light and maybe too slack for general xc/trail. It does allow me to ride steep trails that I’d never ever attempt before.

mrl

Will take a look at the scout. It needs to be a whole bike as it on the bike to work scheme, so not sure Pipedream will work.

Cotics seem to come out at the same price as Pace. So if I stretch that far it will have to be pace! But would like to not spend that extra.

tall_martin

Hello dave +2

Mackem

If it doesnt have to be steel, look at the Bird AM Zero.

joebristol

I think if you run big tyres like a 2.6” then steel is less of a benefit over alloy (that said my Marino is steel and has 2.6” tyres and is the comfiest hardtail I’ve had).

The Forge is a really nice bike but it does run quite a big fork I think. Given what you say you’d ride it for I think with Bird I’d look more at the Zero 29 which will be lighter / more lively on flowy trails. Not to say the Forge wouldn’t do what you want it to do – and the colours are great.

Nukeproof Scout 29er is decent if in stock and quite a nice looking frame.

For steel and mid travel 130-140mm fork it’s a bit harder without going mental on full build cost. Maybe have a look at Stanton and Cotic and see what they can do I’m within your budget (assuming they do bike to work).

Ribble 725 steel is pretty nice – but might be a bit longer travel again potentially like the forge (27.5” wheels though so potentially more playful).

I love the Vivid Pink Pipedream Moxie but I don’t know if they do full builds / bike to work.

Edit – on reach a hardtail isn’t directly comparable to your full suss 5010. When the fork on a hardtail sags the reach gets a bit longer. On a full suss because the back sags as well it doesn’t get longer.

mrl

Thank you, lots to think about. I think the hello Dave is a bit extreme for me.

Will have another look around. Stock might sadly be the deciding factor!

alan1977
    Free Member

Hardtails are generally shorter reach than FS
    was going to suggest the signal TI myself.. ive got one, and i really do rate it. The frame isnt harsh and its my do it all bike, to the point were i plan to have a second set of wheels and tyres to comute on

glp1
    Free Member

Titus loco moto – had mine a couple of months – essentially a ti version of the Planet X hello Dave. its an amazing bike, I’ve ridden some silly steep dh stuff i’d never have attempted before, for 2K it really can’t be beaten on vfm – 150mm pikes and reverb dropper, gx throughout (cassette aside). Look past the geometry, yes its super slack, and steep, but this really comes into play when riding, I’ve done all day quantocks, mendips, FOD, Bristol trails rides, handles them all with aplomb.

tall_martin

Thank you, lots to think about. I think the hello Dave is a bit extreme for me.

It just rides like a bike btw: ) it even goes up and round corners!

marksnook
    Free Member

Love my cotic bfemax, doesn’t feel like a lot of bike, it’s a whole bunch longer than my enduro bike but I kind of think longer benefits the hardtail as it just feels a bit more stable over rough stuff. Think longer eases the lack of rear suspension in a way
    I’m running it with a 140mm fork. It feel great at that travel but can’t compare to a longer fork. Just buy the one you like the look of!

cheers_drive

I’ve just been through the same choice. Except when you really look in to it most of the full builds are expensive and/or compromised so I got myself an ex hire Ragley Bigwig. Great spec for the price, nice frame if a bit on the heavy side. Drover Cycles still have some in XL.

molineux1980
    Free Member

I’ve a Scout 290, it’s a great bike. Fast, capable but also decent for pootling. Definitely the best hardtail i’ve had. Currently running Rockshox 35’s at 130mm – I may change the travel to 140mm until I can afford a decent fork as it’s capable bike.

ali69er
    Free Member

I bought a Banshee Paradox earlier this year because it was one of very few bikes I could actually get. Running a 150mm fork up front. Very capable. Fun to ride, perhaps a bit heavy but that’s the fork and rims more than anything I think.

bfw

I bought a custom build Orange Clockwork Evo a few years back and I love it so much. Its transformed my off-road riding v smiles. I replaced the wheels a year ago for Strada built DT Swiss 350/E532. Mine is in the gloss battleship grey :-)

Not a clue how it compares

tuboflard

Another Ragley Big Wig owner here. Great versatile and capable hardtail for the money. Not light but not porky either. I’m 5’9” and on a medium so suspect you’ll want a large.

bentudder

2.4″ 29er with 30mmish rims, the benefits of steel over alloy are less noticeable – and this is from someone that owned a DeKerf for over a decade, as well as a Genesis Io and a Singular Hummingbird. Some nice supple 2.4s and a tubeless setup on wide rims and you should be good. As an example: I happily did the SDW in a day on a Trek Stache with 2.3″ tyres and 29mm rims. 2.6″ and you’re golden – if approaching the point where a hardtail will lose its ping, IMHO.

Also: it depends what you’re riding. I’m in the Surrey Hills, and if I’m riding bigish stuff, I have a perfectly capable FS bike (yours is more capable, by the way). The hardtail is for thrashing about and having fun, so I’m on a 130mm fork. You can go bigger, but then you’re probably going to be overlapping with your FS, so why bother? If you are going to have two bikes, why not have one that does one thing well, and another that does another thing well? Also: if you’re riding with your kids and they’re not child prodigies, a slack as a slack thing hardtail might be a bit tiresome; they come into their own on steep stuff at high speed.

Maybe look at the less exciting manufacturers as well: the Specialized Fuse is pretty underrated.
    But you are also spoilt for choice: any of the bikes above will put a smile on your face. Try a few out and get what you fancy.

One last suggestion if you still want steel: Bird do a steel hardtail called the Forge, and it’s downright lovely. You can also spec what you want down to a painfully nerdy level of detail, and their rep for customer service is waay up there. Personally, If I was going for a smaller manu, Cotic, Pace, Pipedream and Bird would all be on my shortlist.

tuboflard

Finding one in stock might be half the challenge. Just had a look on CRC and surprisingly they’ve got both the Big Wig and Big Wig Race in stock in Large at the moment. Guess it depends if you’re happy to wait for other options to come in to stock.

mrl

Lots of good stuff, so thank you. Not sure it has helped my decision making though!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im also going to chuck Ragley in the mix but the cheaper BIG AL ,ive had a couple of steel hardtails and ive got to say the Al at £290 has been to date fantastic and quiet forgiving for an alloy frame . For all day adventures to sketchy Sh** in the Lakes and Peaks its kept up with most and left me smiling all the time. I think to date ive clocked over 3500 miles on it over the last 18 months . thats about 3000 more than the 6k Santa Ive sat in the study ..

Ben_Haworth

Voodoo Bizango Pro?

Ben_Haworth

NS Eccentric Lite?

geordiesherman

Had a Sirius, amazing bike when paired with a SID Ultimate…v v rapid DH but low stack didn’t work for me sadly

geordiesherman

Just bought a Titus Loco Moto awaiting delivery 😬 how comfy is it when pootling along?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail ideas’ is closed to new replies.