Home Forums Bike Forum New Hardtail

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • New Hardtail
  • molineux1980
    Free Member

I bought an On One Big Dog, and i’ve put about 150 miles on it so far. I love it. I’ve just sold a Voodoo Bokor and Specialized Enduro and have the BD as my only bike for the winter.

Loving the steel feel, it’s far less twangy than the Voodoo, and I specced it with the 175mm reverb so I can get the saddle right out the way when jumping.

I’ve put maxxis shorty/ minions and gone tubeless. Rode my local (Cannock Chase) Hanchurch and Bucknell Woods. Loved how good it felt going downhill, but climbs well and is good fun.

Recommended.

damascus
    Free Member

Don’t dismiss the on one whippet.

Rigid fork, carbon frame, 29er wheels and £999.

Gives you budget to buy a set of forks and upgrade the wheels abd tyres.

With two sets of wheels that means you can have a rigid bike with gravel tyres or a hardtail with mtb tyres. Makes a versitile set up in budget.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOWHSX/on-one-whippet-sram-sx-mountain-bike

intheborders
    Free Member

I bought the On-One Scandal last night. Early Christmas present to myself!!! Looks like a pretty sweet whip plus was on sale so hopefully it will arrive asap.

A large will be right for you – I’m 6’2″ and ride the large.

I’ve added a 200mm Brand X dropper to mine (I’ve long legs), you may need to limit yourself to a 150/170.

andydunne12
    Free Member

I hope to be getting my new scandal soon. It’s a complete bike.
    But looking through some threads on here, there are a few things I need to watch for regarding build quality.

Spokes and wheels are not always tight or running fully through?
    Derailleur is not always fully set up?
    Headset not adequately greased? Would you advise changing the headset for a better one?

Is there anything else I need to watch for?
    Thanks

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one as well. I’d always give a new bike the once over to make sure everything is working as it should and all the bolts are tight.

I read the rear QR takes an 8mm allen key so make sure you have one on your multitool!

I’d not change the headset until needed but factor in that might be sooner than you’d expect.

I’ve no idea what the tyres are like? Heavy, good grip? I don’t think they are tubeless ready so that will mean they get swapped anyway for me.

cloggy

My wheelset was, came with Gomas which were tight on the Alex rims.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up.

I don’t have any experience building a wheel or straightening a wheel etc. I am not a bike mechanic after all as much I would like to think I am ha.

So for things like this I might bring the bike to a bike shop to give it a going over, once I get it ‘looking’
    straight.

intheborders
    Free Member

Headset not adequately greased? Would you advise changing the headset for a better one?

Mine was greased fine (as I swapped out the fork for an X-Fusion I had spare).

Wheels were decent and tight too, but you may want to add tyres a bit more ‘wintery’ :-)

andydunne12
    Free Member

New On-one scandal arrived over Xmas.
    Really nicely boxed. The box was huge, no issues with damage at all.

Really happy with, only rode it down the street.
    The 35 mm forks are noticeably bigger than what I am used to seeing.
    Brakes feel a bit spongy but think they need to be both bled and bedded in properly.

Some thing I don’t like is the saddle. It’s awful hard and will be binned soon I think.
    What saddle are most guys running? Recommendations?
    The tyres are also pretty chunky and don’t seem to fast rolling.
    Did anyone upgrade these? If so, too what?

vmgscot

Right this minute, I’m finding chunky tyres quite useful :-)

andydunne12
    Free Member

Fair point mate, bike looks great

stevextc
    Free Member

Some thing I don’t like is the saddle. It’s awful hard and will be binned soon I think.
    What saddle are most guys running? Recommendations?
    The tyres are also pretty chunky and don’t seem to fast rolling.
    Did anyone upgrade these? If so, too what?

Don’t bin the saddle, some of us will use anything. (I’m not that sensitive to saddles…)

Tyres, leave till after the worst of winter … of course keep an eye open especially any Jan sale discounts ;)

stevextc
    Free Member

I don’t have any experience building a wheel or straightening a wheel etc. I am not a bike mechanic after all as much I would like to think I am ha.

So for things like this I might bring the bike to a bike shop to give it a going over, once I get it ‘looking’ straight.

You can ping them and you’ll tell if the tension is all over by the sound (if your really tone deaf use a free guitar tuning app)… if it is then I’d just loosen them all and start again. Much easier than trying to fix a bad build (you could over tighten some accidentally).

It’s not hard but its a bit of practice ..I follow the ali clarkeson Youtube
    I used to write a label with tighten/untighten to remind me. Now I’ve done a few I don’t need to… but it used to be confusing when you spin the wheel towards you. (Might just be me)
    A drop of oil on each nipple as well once its loose.

Worst case you take them to the LBS so no worse than trying from half done.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Wheels and Spokes seem well put together but want to bring it to the LBS to give it a once over before I go smashing it.

I have posted this in a number or threads on here with no response.
    I want to change the rear thru axle with a QR axle.
    Which QR axle suits the scandal?
    I know its 12 x 148 mm boost. 12 mm x 1.75 thread.
    But the length is confusing for these.
    Any links for one that will work?

cloggy

Can you fit a QR? I didn’t know one could but can’t see the point anyway.

poah
    Free Member

Guessing he means one you can twist off rather than using a hex key.

tells you on the website

Spec is M12 x 1.75mm thread, 12mm threaded length, 169mm end to shoulder

andydunne12
    Free Member

Maybe it’s not called a quick release but a manual thing rather than the hex head.
    I know the length of mine but can’t find similarly sized online or one’s online do not specify length or a different so am buying completely blind. If someone has fitted one, can they tell me where they got it

jonba
    Free Member

There’s a few posts about scandal axles but they are buries in the mega threads.

The brand x one will work if it ever comes back into stock. I’m waiting…

There is a KTM one but they aren’t very good at descriptions so I avoided at the risk of having to try a few that didn’t fit. ZTTO on ebay, if you want to wait.

Most axles are a little longer but also have 20mm threaded section. As I understand it, it is the shoulder to the start of the threads that is critical. If you buy a longer one you end up with a few threads on the outside of the hanger. No big deal as far as I can tell.

poah
    Free Member

Building up a Dartmoor hornet. Waiting on new hubs for ex471/ex1501 rims I have. Most parts are from the spares bin.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Ooof. Look at those stays! That going to be fierce.

poah
    Free Member

It’s built to withstand a lot of punishment that it will clearly not get with me riding it lol

stayhigh

@rocketdog

Now that looks rather lovely.

andydunne12
    Free Member

SCANDAL
    Finally got out for a decent rip last weekend.
    Scandal feels great.
    Front forks feel so much more capable than my previous XC style bike.
    I still currently live in the Netherlands so trails are most quite hard packed with loose sand in parts. Not so mucky.
    Replaced the tyres with Nobby Nics.
    Saddle has been replaced, standard one was wicked hard for my liking.
    Brand x dropper has been ordered.

ElVino
    Free Member

looks great Andy, was going to ask you what part of Ireland you were based in, I built my Scandal up during the first lockdown and spent June-Sept riding it in the Ballyhouras. Back in London now and desperate to get back out!

andydunne12
    Free Member

Thanks man. Oh nice, I am living in nl at the moment but will be back home in April or may this year, for good.
    I am from kildare area usually ride trails in Wicklow, slieve bloom a few times also, it’s getting bigger every time I am there. Never been to ballyhoura.
    Have you got your bike in Ireland or UK?

ElVino
    Free Member

I’ll PM you rather than hijack the thread

andydunne12
    Free Member

So after almost 70 km and 3 rides with the scandal. I couldn’t be happier with it,ticks all the boxes I wanted a new bike to tick.
    Climbs well, descends well.
    Fork is alot more confidence inspiring that previous bike and fork.
    Thanks for the heads up guys, I would have never came across it without joining up here

andydunne12
    Free Member

New brand x dropper post for the scandal. Went about fitting it. How do you guys route the cables? Spent an hour at it and still struggling :/

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘New Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.