Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • New car looming, who’s next for the gnusmobile?
  • gnusmas

I was contacted a couple of weeks ago by a forum member (wishes to remain anonymous) asking if I would like a bigger car. They have bought a new car and their old one will be available in a week or two should I want it. After a lot of guilt ridden thoughts (with all the effort involved sorting the gnusmobile and getting it to me), I said yes. I hope no one is offended with this decision.

The car is a 2000 silver astra estate. It has mot til next Feb and the only issues with it is the rear wiper and the air con don’t work. With this car being bigger I hope it will suit us a bit better and everyone will be able to travel a bit less cramped.

Aside from the oil leak (which has gotten worse but keeping an eye on it and topping up regularly) there are no new issues. It has been a joy to own and drive. It has taken us to the peak district and to London, add to that the countless local journeys it has truly been a blessing. Thankyou to you all for making it happen.

Only 2 questions remain. Where is the gnusmobile going from here? And what name shall be given to the new car? Thankyou all again for enabling us as a family to have those difficult but memorable trips and for making our daily lives that bit easier.

ads678

I can’t see anyone being offended by you taking up the offer of the new car. It sounds like the right thing to do. Good luck with it.

I say stick the gnusmobile on gumtree and see if you can get a couple of hundred quid for it and take the kids out for the day.

lunge

I can’t see anyone being offended by you taking up the offer of the new car. It sounds like the right thing to do. Good luck with it.

I say stick the gnusmobile on gumtree and see if you can get a couple of hundred quid for it and take the kids out for the day.

This would be my instinct.

yossarian
    Free Member

Two words:

Banger racing 😎

db

Pay it forward if anyone knows of a good cause.

Or sell it and spend cash on family.

Or maybe speak to the local fire station as they may want it to practice their cabriolet skills!

DezB
    Free Member

How ungrateful!

Nah, I don’t think anybody expected you to keep the Yaris forever. Hope it can find a use 🙂
    Oh yeah, nice one from the Astra supplier.

Bunnyhop

There are some fantastic people on here.
    Nobody would be upset by this. Go for it gnusmas.

Enjoy your new car.

molgrips
    Free Member

the only issues with it is the rear wiper and the air con don’t work.

I could maybe take a look?

duncancallum

Let me know how much and when…

Sisters in dire straights n I’m looking for a car for her.

Her focus caught fire…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sell the Yaris and use the money to do something nice. Also, it’s never gonna win in a banger race, so let it keep running a few more years… It will make someone else happy and is already manufactured, so probably more environmentally responsible to keep it running than build a new car.

andy4d

I say sell it and use the few quid to get the astra issues fixed.

franksinatra

Sell the car for not very much, enough for you to get a day out but cheap enough for someone else to benefit from some good fortune. That way you keep the karma going!

tjagain

db

Subscriber

Pay it forward if anyone knows of a good cause.

gnusmas

I am not looking to profit from the car, maybe I should have made it a bit clearer on the original post. After all the kindness shown to me throughout everything, the last thing I want is to gain anything when it could help somebody else out, much the same as it has for all of us. I agreed with andrewh and his wife when it all began, when and if I get another car the gnusmobile will be passed on to the next owner.

With all that in mind and hopefully a bit clearer (sorry) where is it going next?

spawnofyorkshire

RE the Astra’s air con. It probably just needs recharging, £40-50 at a garage

If you are looking to pay it forward, one way is to sell the Yaris and donate the proceeds to a charity you have an affinity to

highpeakrider
    Free Member

It’s just another step forward, think everyone will just be happy for you to make progress and move the family forward, hope you have many trips in the new car.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I like the idea of an STW pool car.

Everyone needs a bit of help now and again.

poolman
    Free Member

Well done keeping the gnusmobile going, I would pass it on to someone who needs it. Keep the karma going, or sell it and put the money towards gnusmobile 2. Our 03 yaris was written off we got 1350 for it…incredible really. Happy motoring btw

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is a good option.

or

Pass it on to someone on here that needs it.

Don’t for one minute think anyone will be objectionable to either proposal. After all, we pretty much agreed that this was a temporary stop gap and you’d find something bigger later on.

Best of luck.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Aircon and rear wiper issues can be sorted by ignoring the bejesus out of them.

tthew

Everyone seemed to skip past Duncan’s request. Good home AND he offered a bit of money.

gnusmas

Tthew – I had already seen it and not long sent a message to him. Its been one of those days today. Thanks for everyone’s input and suggestions. Will keep you all posted.

choppersquad
    Free Member

duncancallum seems a good shout.
    This car could help more people than the A-team.

andrewh
    Free Member

Hello.
    Good to hear that Little Yaris is still alive and well 🙂
    When MrsH donated it the intention was to keep it going as long as possible, she was very fond of it.
    She would quite like it to be passed around to whoever needs it, if you’ve now got something more suitable Duncan’s sister sounds like a good cause, and when she gets something else she can do likewise, bound to be someone in need of it.
    If it eventually dies she would be chuffed if it went eBay for whatever it’s worth and the procedes to these guys, http://radcliffedonkeysanctuary.co.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/

tthew

I had already seen it and not long sent a message to him

Nice one Gnusmas. I didn’t mean you specifically, but there are loads of people on here who read the first couple of posts, then jump straight to the comments box.

matt_outandabout

There must be someone on here who would like a free car…

(good move gnusmas)

Ambrose

I reckon that a road trip to get Gnusmobile to Duncan is the right thing to do. And to whoever you are that has passed on the Astra to Al, thank you… …but dou you not realise the difficulties that you are causing? We need to find a name for Gnusmobile ver 2.0, AAAARGH

andrewh
    Free Member

Everyone loves a road trip 🙂
    Any funds left in the kitty to give it to Duncan’s sister with a new MOT? Only been seven months since the last one so hopefully not much needs doing.

duncancallum

Don’t worry about testing it. I can sort that.

I’ll also have a look at the oil leak.

tjagain

So whereabouts is duncans sister? No doubt some other gawdforsaken inaccessible corner of the UK?

gnusmas

Right. Had a message from Duncan. He lives in Bolton but his sister lives in Southport, the car would need to go to him first, he said he would try and sort the oil leak first.

Road trip part 2 coming up me thinks!

duncancallum

I’m bl6 so pretty easy to get too

If I can get it nearer Brum I’ll try n wangle a lift down n drive it back in a day I’m not adverse to a few hours behind the wheel….

tjagain

Phew – other end of the country from me 😉

gnusmas

And i thought you were going to reunite with the gnusmobile and do all this again tj. I iz upset 😢

gooner69

This thread has made my day already. Im slowly boxing a roadbike that i have sold on ebay and didnt really want to let go. This has cheered me right up over a coffee:)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If I recall gnusmas and therefore The Car is in South Wales somewhere?

Re 2.0, the gnuspoon? The gnastra?

Oh and does moving the astra need to be arranged?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can do some driving if required, to West Mids area.

Harry_the_Spider

Dunc. Let me know if you need a lift back from Southport. I owe you one.

Harry_the_Spider

Also, if anyone is able to fix or replace an engine on an SMax after a timing belt failure I have one spare.

Can’t give it away, but I can sell it for near to scrap value. 12 months MOT, new front tyres, new rear brakes and discs, new alternator. Great family car/bike freighter. Needs major engine work :-/

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t tempt me, I don’t think my wife woudl appreciate a project car 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘New car looming, who’s next for the gnusmobile?’ is closed to new replies.