Home Forums Bike Forum New baggies needed – a lament for the Humvee

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • New baggies needed – a lament for the Humvee
  • alchiltern
    Free Member

Just opened up a new pair of Endura Humvee’s, got to say, quite dissapointed in them. Seemingly a substaitial downgrade from what I’ve just worn out from a few years ago. They’re also now far longer in XXL than they used to be, It’d be like wearing a set of 3/4’s.

Perhaps I should have guessed from the price, but still, they’re less than I was looking for.

So where to go to find something that’ll fit my tree like legs? Have very few options near for actually tying things on.

I don’t need many features, but durability and freedom of movement are top of the chart, some vents, a pocket or two would be good. Also open on them being waterproof in whole or part, given the season.

Recommendations greatfully received.

ayjaydoubleyou

new pair of Endura Humvee’s, got to say, quite dissapointed in them. Seemingly a substaitial downgrade from what I’ve just worn out from a few years ago

my ongoing rant about Endura just reusing the same 3 names on all products amking it impossible to reorder a garment you liked applies here too it seems.

Harry_the_Spider

Yep. Had loads of pairs of Hummvees in all the different colours over the years and have been delighted with them. When they have eventually failed it has been after too much abuse and I couldn’t complain.

Got a pair of the new blue camo ones earlier this year and nearly defecated with disappointment.

The fabric “pulls” leaving white lines, the massively useful rear pockets have changed and the fit is such that they stick out like a pair of jodhpurs.

“If it ain’t broke, break it” would appear to be their approach.

Garbage.

chakaping

Troy Lee Ruckus work well for my chonky legs.

Comfy, durable and don’t move around or do anything weird.

Royal Heritage are my other fave shorts, think they may be discontinued though.

crazy-legs

my ongoing rant about Endura just reusing the same 3 names on all products amking it impossible to reorder a garment you liked applies here too it seems.

Endura are only one of many companies that do this. Tyre manufacturers seem particularly prone to it. :-(

Rapha’s Trail Shorts are quite nice – personally I’d prefer them a bit heavier weight (like my Endura shorts!) but maybe worth a shot? Free returns if they don’t fit or you don’t like them…
    https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-trail-shorts/product/TOS01XXPMM

alchiltern
    Free Member

@ayjaydoubleyou & Harry, with you completely.

Fs260 shorts, four or five years ago, they were superb and lasted fantastically, I don’t hold out much hope for the latest version in my drawer. Such a change in quality.

Singletrack gloves, only worn when cold but now falling apart after 5 rides.

I’ve gone right off the company now.

alchiltern
    Free Member

Cheers, will check out the suggestions. Not considered Rapha before, though suspect they don’t have me in their sights as a customer. Their XXL goes to 46 chest, I’m 48 and legs are 28.

didnthurt

Given up on Endura a couple of years ago. You’ll get people coming on stating how great a particular garment is but that will be the exception to the rule. Shame really, especially when their factory/office is only about 5 miles from my house.

didnthurt

If you’re not wanting to spend £100 then I’d recommend looking at outdoor walking type shorts from the likes of RAB. They are very well made and can be picked up at your local outdoor clothes shop.

I’m a big fan of Gore but they are pricey unless discounted.

Another bet is to order a whole load of shorts in a few sizes from a shop that does free returns. That way you’ll more likely find what you’re after.

matt_outandabout

I find that my Northwave Edge and Northwave Escape baggies are far superior to the Endura’s.
    Better fit, stretchier fabrics and choice of more pockets / few pockets depending on model.
    Cheaper usually too.

crazy-legs

If you’re not wanting to spend £100 then I’d recommend looking at outdoor walking type shorts from the likes of RAB.

There’s a company called Revolution Race (which has been mentioned/linked to on here before) that do a good range of walking trousers and shorts – the shorts translate across to cycling pretty well.

Just be aware that searching for them immediately throws up RR adverts in your Facebook and Instagram plus constant emails from them
    – we see you searched for this, how about trying that…?!
    – sign up for 15% off!
    They are however pretty decent, I’ve got a couple of pairs of their walking trousers on big discounts.

scotroutes

As a general rule, baggy shorts seem to have got baggier and a lot less short these past few years. I think the manufacturers are under the impression that everyone wears knee-pads as they all make a big thing of this in their promo blurb.

Brainflex

Nzo – Quality shorts that last at a decent price.

Bottoms for men

Tracey

Sale on here at the moment. We’ll made and nice fitting

Mens Gravity Shorts | Forest

cobrakai

As a user of their skiing kit, I’ve been very impressed with Norronas MTB shorts. I checked strava and I managed about 3000km a on a pair before i had to add a few stiches to the seat area.

Very light and flexible. Sign up to the website and you will be alerted when the outlet is restocked. 40% discounts!

chiefgrooveguru

I’d really like some heavyweight baggies – I’ve got a couple of pairs of the old Endura Singletracks (the original ones) but really struggle to find anything else of similar weight. I cycle to work in them and wear them all day at work and it’s not that warm here but I have a bizarrely pressure sensitive case of pre-patellar bursitis so I’m not liking anything over my knees at the moment (otherwise trousers would be wise!)

Any recommendations on proper winter baggies? I’m probably a medium in everything. Also, I don’t want a liner short, can’t stand them!

chakaping

I’d really like some heavyweight water-resistant baggies

I was gonna say Madison DTE shorts (often cheap at Freewheel), but not sure if they all go over the knee.

Mine are almost 3/4s, but they may make some shorter ones.

VanHalen

As a general rule, baggy shorts seem to have got baggier and a lot less short these past few years. I

i’ve found quite the opposite – but i’m from teh matt hunter/helly hansen short era where big and baggy is a pre-requsite.

all my new shorts are shit and so short i feel like i’m wearing speedos and, if i dare wear them with pads, get the horrible padgap no one likes. these are from Altura with a waterproof arse (that would be really good if they were longer) and sweet protection ones which are more acceptable but still short. I’ve some ancient dakine ones from about 10yrs ago that are ace but on their last legs.

it seems shorts makers make shorts for stumpy people and forget that people above 5ft6 even exist – i`m 6ft so not exactly lanky!

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks! I’ve got pretty long legs so as long as a short isn’t an actual 3/4 it’ll probably be ok on me. I’ve edited the post to remove the “water resistant” bit – something thick, synthetic and reasonably wind resistant does the job in that respect, especially as I often Nikwax this stuff.

hainman
    Free Member

I bought some 2nd humvee trousers and their super tight at the thighs compared to the shorts
    My Fox Ranger trousers are good fit

lardman
    Free Member

My thighs are thicker than Chris Hoys. I have 3 pairs of Yeti Freeland shorts, as they’re a great fit for the chunkier of leg/bottom. Very hard wearing too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.