Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Neighbours Smoking Weed – how to deal with it?
  • teenrat

We live in a terraced house and our neighbours smoke weed, We can smell it in our house and some days, the smell is very strong. It is coming through the walls and through small voids in the party wall where the stairs, ceiling and floors are. I am now beginning to think i can smell it on my clothes as well..There is also the issue of passive smoking.

Just how do i deal with this? I dont care what they do within their own home, but i cant put up with smelling that in our house.

Do i talk to them about it, and let them know the score. However, i’m worried that this would then put me under suspicion if anything were to happen in the future, even if it wasn’t me. I’m also not sure how they will react, as he has a very short temper.

Or do i call the authorities anonymously and hope something gets done?

any advice welcome

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do i talk to them about it, and let them know the score.

Yes, the police won’t be bothered a out personal use so you need to let them know its a problem

martinhutch

I’m also not sure how they will react, as he has a very short temper.

Wait until after he’s had a smoke. 🙂

If it wasn’t weed, wouldn’t your house be riddled with cigarette smoke smell anyhow given how porous the wall appears to be?

If you own the property, can you spend some time tracking down and sealing some of the gaps to reduce the ingress of smoke?

TBH I wouldn’t talk to them about it. They won’t stop, they’re not doing it on the front step. And if someone else involves the authorities, you’ll get the blame and then have a psycho on your case. I doubt the authorities would do much anyhow.

flyingmonkeycorps

We had exactly the same problem. Gave them a knock, was very friendly and open and let them know that we really didn’t mind them smoking at all but that it was powerful strong in our house and would they mind maybe smoking in a different room or closing the windows?

Not smelt a sausage since.

everyone
    Free Member

What about the weed though?

Drac

You turned them vegan?

cdoc
    Free Member

I’m also not sure how they will react, as he has a very short temper.

Maybe he knows this and is self medicating to make everyone’s life easier?

Anyway, could be worse. Used to live in a new build flat and could smell the neighbours almost constant gas.

Also, another time I used to live next to some terrible addicts who downed a couple of bottles of Chardonnay or some other fermented fruit drink, every night, followed by an hour or two of idiotic giggling and noise as their choice of poison kicked in and began debilitating their mental functions. They seemed to enjoy it.

Then we had to put up with them dumping the bottles in the wheelie bin at one AM, keeping everyone awake.

Bloody druggies, making personal choices and then expecting a degree of privacy in their own homes.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Same problem here. And i havent come up with a decent solution yet. I would be concerned about reprisals if going to police. And ive read that they have a policy of not doing anything about  small scale growers let alone users.

Saying that, in your case it might be worth getting something officialy registered about it with the police if you fear losing your job over smelling of weed.

One idea was generating possitive air pressure in the house with a large fan connected to the outside of the house away from them so flow of smoke could be reversed if needed. I havent done that though and would be cold in winter as is ventilating by just opening windows when it does happen every day..

jekkyl

If you want them to stop you’ll have to talk to them. Perhaps suggest they go for a walk round the block to toke or investigate a vapouriser which is considerably less if not at all smelly and are freely available on Amazon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyway, could be worse. Used to live in a new build flat and could smell the neighbours almost constant gas.

Yeah suck it up princess 😉 you might chill out about it 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Passive smoking? The Police? FFS this place.

Your house must be falling down if you can smell the neighbours smoke.

Your life must be pretty stress free to worry about your neighbours smoking habits.

Have a quick toke yourself, it might chill you out.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Make an air scrubber for when it smells really bad, get yourself a 12” ruck in-line fan, some silenced ducting and a decent sized carbon filter. Attach it to a fan controller and your issues will be smell free.

Or make one and present it to your neighbour to use when he’s toking.

teenrat

you being serious? my life is far from stress free, and lying in bed at night with the bedroom stinking of weed is not nice. My house is also not falling down.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Maybe like me  the op has kids he doesent want being exposed to skunk every day? Maybe he has the type of job where they test him for drugs regularly. Maybe he is an ex smoker who doesnt want to be exposed to it and wants to leave that behind. my house is very solid yet it comes in through boiler flue window air vents and air bricks. The neighbours are also growers as ive seen the plants. Still not worth calling the police though.Perhaps for the op it is is all im saying. if his job is at stake.

finishthat
    Free Member

OP you are being trolled – there are some ignorant selfish folks on here – best get advice from somewhere else if you can.

simmoz
    Free Member

Surely just go and have a friendly chat with them?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

“Your house must be falling down if you can smell the neighbours smoke.”

You know, the thing with smoke, is it’s smoke. It gets everywhere. And weed smoke / smell is particularly strong in odour and if you don’t like it, it’s gonna piss you off even more.

OP I see the problem, but there’s not much that can be done about it. Did you notice it in winter? Just wondering as I hear it’s summer there at the moment and your neighbour is probably just enjoying a smoko in the garden?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m amazed it’s coming through the walls. But it won’t be in any concentration high enough to actually “affect” you or your family.

But it would bother me as well, you’ll have to have a chat with them. See how that goes before you do anything else.

Jakester
    Free Member

Ignore the weed evangelists – their line is always ‘everything is improved by a smoke’ and I’d hardly trust their critical faculties as they’re usually off their tits!

We used to live in a terraced house where both neighbours partook; one, for (genuine) medical reasons, the other because he and his (adult) kids liked to smoke.

It reached the point where the smell was all pervasive in our newborn son’s room, so we were a bit unhappy about it, but a polite word with both soon stopped it.

You’re perfectly entitled to peaceable enjoyment in your own home, but rather than be confrontational how about just popping round and asking about a strange smell, rather than immediately saying it’s weed?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Maybe like me the op has kids he doesent want being exposed to skunk every day? Maybe he has the type of job where they test him for drugs regularly

Exposed?

Showing up in a drugs test?

FFS.

You know, the thing with smoke, is it’s smoke. It gets everywhere.

It can’t pass through a solid wall.

I was brought up in a terraced house and we could never smell anything from next door.

and lying in bed at night with the bedroom stinking of weed is not nice.

Maybe Mrs Rat is a secret toker and that’s why the smell is so strong.

You could also try some Neutradol.

The way people go on about “passive smoking” on here is ridiculous. Yet they still drive their brats to school in diesel Audi’s.

handybar
    Free Member

I feel for the OP, it is annoying and anti-social, and he is in a difficult position.

If they are smoking skunk, then it is very pervasive and the smell gets everywhere, so I don’t see how anyone can question him on this point.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

“””it might be worth getting something officialy registered about it with the police if you fear losing your job over smelling of weed”””

bahahaha.

oh… is this actual advice???

aphex_2k
    Free Member

“It can’t pass through a solid wall.”

You’re quite right. But as he’s already said, his window is open at night. It’s summer.

Plus houses often loft / roof spaces, breather bricks, gaps…. Genius.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Oh and “if they’re smoking skunk…”

Maybe. It’s not as common these days. 20 years ago. There’s better strains.

Hydro was called skunk as compared to bush, it did smell quite strong. But skunk is a particular strain now – amongst thousands of others.

gobuchul
    Free Member

You’re quite right. But as he’s already said, his window is open at night. It’s summer.

Plus houses often loft / roof spaces, breather bricks, gaps…. Genius.

Ridiculous.

He claims it “stinks”. Really?

So what about all the other smells? Cooking? Car fumes? Can he smell the dog shit in the gutter?

He most have nostrils like Fred Bassett.

My neighbour smokes cigars in his garden, I can smell it but it doesn’t permutate the house and “stink” the place out. Cigars easily smell as strong as weed.

I say get a life and go and worry about real stuff.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My neighbour smokes cigars in his garden, I can smell it but it doesn’t permutate the house and “stink” the place out. Cigars easily smell as strong as weed.

In the open air around bits of Manchester you can get a very strong smell of weed, it’s quite distinctive and seems to hang around.

Perhaps you have become desensitised to it, you know how smokers don’t get how much they stink.

Anyway simple answer is go next door and have a quiet word about it.

binners

If you’re too scaredy-pants to just pop round and speak to him in person, like most grown-ups would, could you not request an intermediary from the UN to conduct some shuttle diplomacy? And if that doesn’t work, having legitimately exhausted all peaceful options you could then, quite legitimately, burn down his house?

BillMC

I find in central Manchester you smell spice rather than weed, the smell is much stronger and it always smells the same (cos it’s perfumed chemicals innit).

fossy

My brother has weed smokers next to him, fortunately it’s not come in the house, but you can smell it in the gardens (new baby though). We’re not too bad as as next door but one occasionally smokes – bit obvious leaning out the back window with a big spliff – he’s in his late 50’s.

Thing is, it’s bloody everywhere.  Passed young lads smoking a stack of the stuff whilst they were fishing the last two nights whist I was out riding, then 4 lads sat in a car puffing away at the end of a farm track last night. And don’t get me started on rush hour drivers !

fossy

When I used to ride to work (pre broken spine) I could pin point which vehicle the weed was coming from as I cycled past – it’s that obvious – it reeks.  Nothing worse than standing in a supermarket next to someone that has had a spliff at some point. Sh1t sticks.

Just get one copper to stand on the pavement on any of the usual traffic queues and there would be loads of drivers nicked – probably too many to process.

poly
    Free Member

We live in a terraced house and our neighbours smoke weed, We can smell it in our house and some days, the smell is very strong. It is coming through the walls and through small voids in the party wall where the stairs, ceiling and floors are.

Through an open window I could believe, through walls, and very strong – are you sure they are just smoking and not growing?

I would be concerned about reprisals if going to police.

Well its not likely to go down well.  Crimestoppers would provide an alternative anonymous route – but they won’t act on single anonymous tip offs because people would just use it for revenge.  Can you smell it outside?  Not unusual for officers to smell it whilst investigating something else.

And ive read that they have a policy of not doing anything about  small scale growers let alone users.

Policies/practice vary around the country. Certainly they aren’t going to kick the door in if all they expect to find is a single joint.  I’d be surprised if there was anywhere that they weren’t doing anything about small scale cultivation though.   Prosecution is of course not the only thing they can do.  If its an 19yr old growing a single 12″ plant on his window sill for his own use, and he’s no previous record etc then a formal warning and confiscation of the plant probably achieves as much, and at far lower cost, than pursuing in court.   That won’t stop the media reporting as “doing nothing”.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I bet you wouldn’t say that to his face (or mine), Mr Internet Hard man. 🙄 Just grow up and start thinking of other people than just yourself.

A friend of mine had the same issue, it’s disgusting. He actually ended up removing skirting to find voids, filling even the tiniest crack up to try and stop it but he ended up moving house in the end as his neighbours didn’t stop and he couldn’t stop the disgusting stench coming into his house.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I could smell weed from my neighbor when I took the front off my bath, and it smelt really strong. So I went round and bought some off him, sorted.

Seriously, go and have a quiet word with your neighbors, you might have decided he’s a head case, but he’s probably just a normal bloke.

Jakester
    Free Member

Just grow up and start thinking of other people than just yourself.

Yeah, but, like, it’s only weed man, chill out, have a toke, it’s harmless, innit? If the OP’s getting stressed out, just roll one and have a puff, that’ll calm him down, yeah, man?

DT78
    Free Member

had this problem in old house.  rental next door which for years had been families and then suddenly turned into some sort of multi occupancy flat.  God knows how many blokes were living there.  you know the type that work at car washes.

Knackered from lack of sleep with new baby I went round there and got a bit shouty, threatened police, immigration and notifying landlord.  said if they wanted to smoke to do it in the shed at the end of the garden.  they probably realised I was fully prepared to smack them if they argued….they started using the shed.  a few months on immigration came knocking (not me) and they were gone.  back to a nice family again.

Moral of story is don’t be scared of telling them to stop.  although in hindsight it wouldn’t have been a great idea getting into a fight over it….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess you could get a case of industrial air freshener and just rig something to spray it towards their windows and any vents. I mean nowt wrong with that is it, just you like air freshener, live and let live man

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Start compositing your garden with rotting Durian fruits in retaliation.

binners

Get a massive air blower wind machine thing,. Then you’ve got the added bonus that you’ll then be able to all get dressed up and recreate 80’s hair-rock videos in your front room

yoshimi

Maybe your neighbour thinks that it’s more acceptable to smoke in his own house rather than in his back garden to avoid obvious use/smell to you and others.

And if that is the case I’d guess he doesn’t realise it’s affecting you so just go and have a chat and explain.

bob_summers

It’s a particularly nasty smell, especially when mixed with tobacco, I can sympathise.  Used to go in our living room first thing in the morning and it reeked.  I live in an old block of flats, not a terrace, but I drastically minimised the smell by silicon sealing around the electrical sockets on the party wall, as the smell seemed particularly strong around them.  Not sure if that’d help in your case.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Neighbours Smoking Weed – how to deal with it?’ is closed to new replies.