Home Forums Bike Forum NBD – no, not bike, but….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • NBD – no, not bike, but….
    Daffy

New Bell Day.

Pink – to add to the collection

wheelsonfire1

Now that is  worth boasting about, an achievable aspiration! Lovely.

dartdude
    Free Member

Loud & Proud

fazzini

Couple of scratches on the table could do with sorting out…😉

Oh, nice bell too 😁😁😁

I used to be in the “excuse me, bike coming” camp, but recently got a bell and it’s a revelation.

Just wish it would stop groups of walkers splitting to either side of the trail. Go the same way you morons 🤣

Sandwich

Got an earful on Friday as I didn’t ring the bell. Apparently not being in a hurry is not a good enough excuse.

My special edition version has an orange button on the ringer. Pink could be good for the commuter!

tthew

Just wish it would stop groups of walkers splitting to either side of the trail. Go the same way you morons 🤣

You can’t get too grumpy about it., everyone is being polite and moving to the other side, like a carefully choreographed Red Arrows manoeuvre. Granted it would be handy of they could plan which side to move to before setting off. I’m definitely in Team Bell though, all my bikes have them.

…an achievable aspiration!

You say that, but it appears to be a genuine Spur Cycles bell, not one of the Rockbros knock offs. 😁

The ones that suddenly decide that the opposite side would have been the better choice when you are 4ft away from them are the worst 🤣

bobbyspangles
    Free Member

60 knicker on a bell!

jeepers.

if you’ve got it spend it 😀

and shorten your hoses

rOcKeTdOg

Just wish it would stop groups of walkers splitting to either side of the trail. Go the same way you morons

The best is when they both decide to move to the opposite they are standing on and walk into each other!

Followed by me asking if they are ok being outside without their carer

There needs to be a bell that cam penetrate noise cancelling headphones though. I just don’t get how you’d want to listen to something other than the wind, birds singing, babbling brooks etc and walk along head down staring at a phone

FOG

No, it’s the ones who choose to go to the opposite side to their dog, attached to lead of course.

Daffy

This is my 8th/9th Spurcycle bell.

2 from the original Kickstarter (Raw and Black), 3 Chris King Ltd (Red, Bourbon, Violet) 1 green, 1 orange and 2 pink.

I missed both the Chris King blue and the Sapphire one, which I regret, but hey ho :-)

The original black one is showing some signs of wear now having been on the commuter for 11 years and having been part of the early batch of non DLC coated black ones.  The rest are perfect.  Only the Bourbon one isn’t in use at present.

I also have a couple of the Rockbros ones in a drawer and on my daughters tag along,  they really are quite rubbish by comparison.

wheelsonfire1

@daffy and @tthew when I admired the bell I thought it was just a bell in a nice colour! I never knew that a bell could cost that much, a bell is a bell surely?

Sandwich

I’ve only got the three on the nicer bikes and Timber on the MTB. It doesn’t matter what one does, some people will always jump when the bell sounds or I call out hello. (Hello for horses every time, not the bell to avoid any excitement for the rider of the beast).

Daffy

Not really.  These are functionally and aesthetically damn near perfect.  The materials are chosen not to degrade, the mounting system allows it to attach to almost anything and the ring is both powerful and persistent, but also pleasant and cheerful.

Their only downside is that the ring can dull if it’s really pouring down, but a slight upward angle to the bell usually stops this as the aerodynamics and surface tension can then do their thing.

They also fetch pretty much 2/3rds of their value if resold, but you almost certainly never will.

wheelsonfire1

I suppose if it’s going to last a lifetime then the initial cost is also better for the environment. I’m just too old to justify the investment now!

slowoldman

I love a Spur bell.

garage-dweller

Nice bell and I was wincing about £60 on a tyre. 🤔

Daffy

Looking (and sounding) good this morning :-)

soundninjauk

Those things are spendy but in my experience in terms of £ per quality of life improvement a Spurcycle bell is the best bike upgrade available.

desperatebicycle

In term of £ per utter bafflement on my part, spending out on a **** bell is right up there with personalised number plates on cars.

I was glad I didn’t have a bell yesterday – there was a bit of track with a really old couple walking along it, both had sticks, shuffling along… if I’d had a bell I would’ve pinged, they would’ve, slowly twisted their poor old necks round, shuffled out of the way, I would’ve ridden past, I would’ve been obliged to! then thanked them, then realised that I was going the wrong damn way and had to turn back  and bother them again. As it was I stopped and waited for a suitable place to pass and realised before carrying on that it wasn’t the right way. Not having a bell is awesome! :D

tthew

Nah, what would have happened is that they wouldn’t have heard your bell because it’s high pitched and people get deaf in the upper frequency ranges first. So you’d have been crawling along muttering to yourself about ignorant old codgers before they sensed your presence and fallen over their walking sticks in surprise.

(I still prefer a bell, but you have to bear this in mind when using it)

I wasn’t too fond of the look of my (cheapo) bell on the bars of my gnar machine, so I’ve done something completely revolutionary… 😉

20230821_122242 by davetheblade[/url], on Flickr

I’m a rebel without a clue

Daffy

Isn’t that just going to fill with dirt/water, or is it a photo angle rather than a bell angle thing?

Isn’t that just going to fill with dirt/water, or is it a photo angle rather than a bell angle thing?

Been fine so far, we’ll see…

Daffy

Even more bells!  This time “denim” or blue with a funny ceracote finish to the rest of us.

IMG_6823IMG_6825IMG_6824

desperatebicycle

Still baffled

Daffy

No, it’s a clear, crisp ring.

desperatebicycle

It sure is

Daffy

In a world where a road tyre which lasts 2000km and costs £80, I’m happy to pay £60 for something which should last forever and be simply the very best it can be for all that time!

My original one is now 11 years old, has covered over 60k km and still works perfectly.  It’s not quite as dingy as the newer ones as the coating technology is now better/thinner, but it’s still better than any other bell.

ton

We are a 2 spur family. Both 8 years old. Bargain.

desperatebicycle

A tyre isn’t a comparison.. another bell is – they are 99p and will last years, replacing as necessary would never get to anywhere near £60..but hey, whatever makes you happy.
    Still baffled.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.