Home Forums Bike Forum Navigating on MTB routes

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Navigating on MTB routes
  • rob13
    Free Member

I’ve been back into MTB since last year, and I’ve been using a mix of trailforks and OS sub to navigate about on the Moors and Dales. I’m in unfamiliar territory so I’m picking out permitted routes on the fly sometimes, others guiding myself around a pre determined route.

My Wahoo Bolt isn’t really up to the MTB stuff so I find myself pulling out my phone a lot which slows me down and costs me enjoyment time.

I’m looking to get something that can provide me with maps at a glance. One option is a new cycle computer i.e Garmin or Wahoo but the other option is a Garmin Fenix 6 pro with maps.

What do others use when they don’t have a pre determined gpx and just want to check location or see whether that trail you’ve just passed is permitted or is going in the right direction? The watch will obviously give me body metric which should improve my training but I want something to cover the mapping requirement.

hot_fiat

Edge 820/830. I’ve a fenix with good maps but it’s my navigation system of last resort before the compass and paper map get dredged out. Not having a touch screen means it really is a pita to use for pan and zoom. Also find that the start/stop buttons activate way too easily if I’m recording a ride.

rakas

I’ve got an edge 530 and find it great for wandering about ‘what’s down here’ kind of riding. Easy enough to follow a gpx file or set a destination in the fly. Trailforks baked into the map as well.

weeksy

Guesswork and blind faith… it’s the only way to cycle on that type of riding :)

Permitted, meh.. if it’s brown because it’s had traffic, it’s OK with me.. :)

I can’t imagine following a GPX on a mtb, it seems all wrong.

rickmeister

Edge 800 here but an Edge 1000 screen is a bit bigger. I don’t use the HRM and power functions, its just a good bike computer that can be swapped across bike easily.

MadBillMcMad

If you google talkytoaster you can get OS maps for a garmin.

Navigation, I use a garmin 830. Being old with dodgy eyes I should have got a 1030 which has a phone sized screen.

When you really need to see what is about You can not beat OS maps. The OS map is pretty good apparently. On android there is Backcountry navigator. Free or pay to use and caches maps so you can download areas on WiFi.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t find the new Garmin maps that good for mountain biking so downloaded some different ones. Not an option on the wahoo?

I generally plot a route at home using a variety of sites. Where’s the path, Strava, bike hike, being the most common.

I run my Garmin on really basic settings just a purple line over the map. This is fine for me. If I decide to explore it’s normally pretty easy to work my way back.

I’ve got a 530 and an 830. The 830 is basically the same but has touch screens rather than buttons. I find the buttons harder to use/scroll around but they work better in the cold and wet. I understand the 1030 is just a big 830.

All of these have small screens. Navigation is limited in that regard. Ok for short sections of non planned but it would be frustrating doing a day without a good overall idea of the route.

If I want to explore an area I’ll plot a way in and a way out. Mark them with waypoints. When I get there I’ll just follow my nose and then use the waypoints to help me find a way out. This is good for those areas you know there are trails but they aren’t on the map.

ahsat

Definitely needs a dedicated head unit type thing, like one of the Garmin Edge range. I’ve got one, and a Fenix 6, and the Fenix is a nightmare to nav on the fly – the screen is tiny and on the bike your wrist is at the wrong angle to see the screen (which at this time of year is probably buried under your jacket/gloves) so you have to take your hand off the bars to look at why it’s beeped at you again. I use it for on the fly walks in new places; but never for a planned day out on the bike. Something up in front of you, mounted on the bars with a bigger screen is much more useful.

qwerty
    Free Member

Garmin Etrex with Talkytoaster OSM maps and then add a GPX file of the route.

continuity
    Free Member

I do exactly what you do and it works fine. I look at the map before the ride so I understand where I’m going. I use a bolt for GPS. If I’m really stuck, I’ll get out viewranger on my phone (about a 5 second activity from my pocket).

Not sure you’d be any faster fiddling with a tiny touch screen gps on your bike thats covered in mud and water?

johnx2
    Free Member

I do same as the OP – Dales and Moors – and find OS maps on android brilliant to have on a ride, though yes do slow you down compared to knowing a route (which after decades of I basically do, Moors I’m still exploring), with Strava to suggest options for rides/good bits etc when ‘planning’.

What nothing does is tell you how a path or track is actually going to ride – bridleways that actually exist, good singletrack that’s not on the map, that sort of thing. Local knowledge init.

rob13
    Free Member

Cheers all, looks like I need to consider the potential of sticking with an on board option rather than going to a one solution fits all on the wrist. If the mapping isn’t very good on the wrist then perhaps I should look at the non map fenix. Ive got no smart watch at the moment so having the body metrics would help me.

I left Garmin when i went from a 500 to a Wahoo Bolt but I might need to look at Garmin again if they’ve upper their game..

jam-bo

workoutdoors app on my apple watch. gives me openstreetmaps at a glance with a trace of where i’ve been which is usually enough for me.I can add a GPX route to overlay/follow as well although it only gives warnings if you stray from the route, not turn by turn.

I’ve got OS maps on my phone if I need to stop and look in more detail.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

As said above, the mapping on the Fenix 6 Pro is only really a “last resort” type. I REALLY like my Fenix, it’s way more useful than I thought it would be, and I often use the mapping when off the beaten track and away from phone signal. But using it to follow a route whilst riding along would be very challenging. I use a bar mounted Garmin (800) for following routes, with OS mapping on it.

kingofthetoys

Recommend what you have: Garmin Edge 830 👍🏻

Blackflag
    Free Member

Garmin Edge Touring. No bells or whistles just a purple line showing the gpx route ive planned against a map. Mounted on the bar so i don’t need to stop to check the route. Perfect.

ayjaydoubleyou

phone on bars for navigation.

much as I like garmins etc for general purpose bike use, for exclusively mapping/navigation it can be better accomplished with better UI, and a nicer, bigger screen, for far less money with any modern smartphone and the appropriate app.

Blackflag
    Free Member

much as I like garmins etc for general purpose bike use, for exclusively mapping/navigation it can be better accomplished with better UI, and a nicer, bigger screen, for far less money with any modern smartphone and the appropriate app.

And as much as i also like garmins, i still agree with this.

Bez

What do others use when they don’t have a pre determined gpx and just want to check location or see whether that trail you’ve just passed is permitted or is going in the right direction?

The closest to a reliable guide as to permission (at least rights of way) is an OS map. I’ve got an old Edge 810 with OS maps on an SD card, and I’ve got an OS subscription which means I can use that on my phone. Most other mapping on dedicated bike GPS devices is based on OpenStreetMap, which is very good in some places, not so good in others, but generally not great at differentiating actual rights of way.

eduardorocha

I’m new to this digital navigation business but creating the GPX on Komoot and using a igs620 or Garmin 520 (both with buttons) is keeping me on the right way and in budget

scottishscrutineer
    Free Member

For gravel and especially MTB rides, I tend to have a look at OS type mapping to get a general idea before I head off, then just go and explore, following your nose and waysigns.

I used to try and plot a route, then upload to Wahoo Elemnt, but often had to resort to gettingthe phone out to check on Trailforks or similar. Now I just tend to enjoy the ride and when I find a main junction or road, where I’m not sure of where to go next and there’s no clues, then look at the phone map. Its quite a pleasant experience, jut to free ride and explore

appltn

workoutdoors app on my apple watch. gives me openstreetmaps at a glance with a trace of where i’ve been which is usually enough for me.I can add a GPX route to overlay/follow as well although it only gives warnings if you stray from the route, not turn by turn.

I’ve got OS maps on my phone if I need to stop and look in more detail.

I do exactly this too, if I’m going somewhere I don’t know I’ll put a GPX into my watch and then there’s a nice little map with the route on my wrist.

Bonus points because the apple watch is useful off the bike too.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Navigating on MTB routes’ is closed to new replies.