Home Forums Bike Forum MTB tool kit

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • MTB tool kit
  • andydunne12
    Free Member

Looking to buy a MTB specific tool kit for carrying out bike maintenance at home.
    Do you guys advise any in particular?
    Looking to spend 70-100 euro.
    I see Halford selling a 30 piece kit for 50 pounds.

More so kits which have chain splitter, cassette tools, bottom bracket tools etc.
    I am a plumber by trade so have all pliers, spanners, adjustable spanners. Not my first time buying or using tools but what do you guys use?

Thanks in advance, also if this has been covered please redirect me there

fossy

Start with the basics, and then buy stuff when you need it. I’ve a collection of bike tools over 35 years. A basic kit will get you started, but you need to have some good hex keys as a minimum for the workshop.

As a plumber you’ll know this..

endomick
    Free Member

Agree with above, buy as you need, kits have tools you’ll never need or use, buy as you need and you get exactly what you want, a torque wrench is a good start, over the years I’ve ended up with 3 cassette tools, one without centre guide, one with and another with thicker guide for 12mm hubs and an array of bottom bracket tools from square taper to current standard, my fave is my lezyne one than fits on a socket wrench, never use my spanner style one. If I had to replace all my tools in one go it would be eye wateringly expensive, but my collection includes facing tools, a spoke tension meter and bearings presses, I’ve even got a tool for inserting barbs into brake hoses from jagwire, it’s amazing what you can build up over 20 years.

tjagain

I would buy quality tools as you need them. A kit will duplicate some of what you have and have stuff you don’t need

aide

Agree with the above. I have done the same and got tools as i i needed them. It sounds like youve got a wishlist to start with. Maybe a bike stand to do maintenance with?

Trouble with tool kits with BB tools is that they are only good if they fit your BB, too many variations these days

jonba
    Free Member

Some of the kits have things in like cones spanners and crank pullers which may be essential but mine just gather dust as my bikes no longer have those components.

Put the money aside and buy as you need. Some jobs are more common and tools make it easier so off the top of my head the first ones you’ll need will be thinks like:

Allen keys
    Cable cutters
    Pliers
    Cassette lockring tool
    Chainwhip
    Quicklink pliers
    Chain tool
    Bottom bracket tools (could be threaded or a press depending on your setup)
    Spoke key
    Torx wrench

In general it is worth looking for quality stuff as it reduces the risk of rounding off bolts and damaging things. That doesn’t mean you need to spend £100s on park tool stuff, just don’t go bargain basement.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up guys and seems to make sense to me.
    A bike stand might be a better option to get started with.
    Santa received the list today, he is a great guy😁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘MTB tool kit’ is closed to new replies.