Home Forums Bike Forum MTB/e-MTB – what do you carry?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MTB/e-MTB – what do you carry?
  • rob13
    Free Member

I’m coming from a road background where I usually travel light but with enough to get me home should I need it. I’ve just bought an e-MTB to go off road exploring, bike parks and generally having a bit of fun/adventure with it. I’ll probably be carrying a camelbak anyway so just wanted some advice on what is best to carry out on the trail.

So far got the following:
    Phone/map/money/Jelly Babies/enough clothing
    First aid kit
    pocket rocket pump
    Spare tube
    multitool
    cable ties

I’ve never gone tubeless with sealant previously so would be interested to know what to get, and what to carry in case of the inevitable.

Also, I guess I need a shock pump at some point to make sure sag is ok. Are the lifeline tools from Wiggle any good?

rob13
    Free Member

Anyone see this post? Its not showing up on the forum.

jamj1974

I can!

cookeaa

Selfie stick
    Klingon phrase book (if visiting Wales)
    Nail clippers
    Flare gun
    Machette
    Prophylactics…

luket

I’d add a tubeless repair kit, a mech hanger and some brake pads to that. Oh, and a quick link.

There are many tubeless repair kits but basically they consist of a fork-like tool and plugs, with some rubber solution and usually a separate reaming/file tool, and a knife to cut the long ends down with after. Weldtite is the classic basic one and what I’ve been perfectly happy with for over a decade.

Dyna plug is a newer version of a similar thing. It’s quite a neat version on a similar theme.

I quite often don’t have a tube with me for local ish rides, because worst case I can get home.

For longer rides I’d add a tyre boot, maybe.

fasthaggis

Spare motor and a tow rope.
    Only joking :-) ,I carry the same as cookeaa.

Still joking :-)
    You seem to have the basics covered with your list,you might want to carry some type of anchovy repair kit for tubeless

jamj1974

Prophylactics

Indeed so.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have a one up tool in the stem with plyers and bacon strips in the stash and enduro strap bag with 2x co2 and a tube, juice also on the bike. Having no pack is brill!

I use this for most rides bar big days out when I ride with a pack with pump, shock pump, chain link plyers,tyre boot, more juice, first aid, emergency waterproof, tick remover, smidge, glasses wipes, food and extra gloves (in case of wet or manky) and also spare gear inner (for dropper or gear cable snapage) and a proper chain tool/several quick links.

escrs
    Free Member

Whatever kit you decide on try and make the bike take more of the load and not your back by having too much in a camelback

I run a Specialized Henge saddle with a Specialized Swat bandit bolted underneath, this holds a 29er tube, CO2 cannister, tyre levers and pump head

In the Steerer tube i have a Specialized swat tool with integrated chain tool and spare split links

This set up is perfect for local loops where im no more than 5-10 miles from the car should the worst happen

For bigger rides i have a Evoc bag with a shock pump, 2 spare tubes, hand pump which also takes a C02 cylinder, some gaffa tape and a piece of bendable plastic (for sidewall damage repair) couple of zip ties, small roll of bog roll and electrical tape (handy if you get caught short or need a make shift plaster etc…)

Tyres are set up tubeless, i do have a tubeless repair kit but Ive never had to use and now leave it at home

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MTB/e-MTB – what do you carry?’ is closed to new replies.