Home Forums Bike Forum Mtb Crash Helmets – do you renew after a period of time ?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mtb Crash Helmets – do you renew after a period of time ?
    walowiz

Come from a long time motorbike background, where I didn’t keep crash helmets beyond a few years of use and if one hit the deck it was binned immediately and replaced.

i just realised my current mtb lid is 7 years old, I’ve had multiple offs – none have been direct head to tree type incidents, but as I now look for a new crash helmet, got me to wondering what’s the conventional wisdom re life of a helmet for mtb ?

also any recommendations for a new lid, as nearly every one I’ve looked at is on sale ? Don’t need full face.

Kramer
    Free Member

The conventional wisdom (sponsored by helmet manufacturers) is that they need to be replaced after (I think) 5 years, a significant impact or if showing signs of damage.

The last two I agree with, the first one I’m not so sure about. Virginia Tech used to say that there was no need to change just for age, however since receiving industry sponsorship they’ve changed their stance.

Cue people waffling on about how because pigments fade in sunlight there must be structural damage occurring too.

scotroutes

7 years old, I’ve had multiple offs

TBH I’d have replaced it by now.

walowiz

TBH I’d have replaced it by now.

agreed, which I’m about to. The Bell Super 3R MIPS wasn’t cheap when I bought it, but it’s lasted well, no marks on it at all, which is why I’ve never really thought it needed replacing or beyond it’s useful life.

twistedpencil

My commuting lid I’ll use until it falls apart, 1hour a day in Manchester means it never gets exposed to UV 😀.

MTB or BMX, once I land on my head they get replaced. Either that or sweat kills them within 3-4years.

I am of the opinion that age isn’t an issue for helmets stored out of the sun etc.

Currently in the market for a full face for uplift days and a new trial helmet. May buy a new trial lid today if the lbs is open.

dartdude
    Free Member

Likewise op. 4 yrs for MC lids still ?

I can highly recommend Oakley DRT5 for pure comfort imo, packed with loadsa nifty features.

They have updated it to a new model name with more temple and side on coverage.

dartdude
    Free Member

I went from an extremely hot 🔥 TLD A1 in size M/L to a S in Oakley.

I’m 57cm for reference though take a L in MC Shark lids and L in Fly FF MTB lids

dartdude
    Free Member

Oh and the TLD was on sale at £99.99 and the Oakley was on sale at £60.

walowiz

Cheers guys

yep @dartdude about 3-4 years on a m/c lid back when I was commuting to the city. And had a very nice race rep one for the weekend rides.

dartdude
    Free Member

Oooo sounds like a funky paint job type lid.

Mine was an RSR carbon

akira

Replace every 3-5 years without major crash, comfiest I’ve found are the Giro Spherical ones. Tried quiet a few others and just felt bulky and awkward.

FOG

Surely sweat must cause deterioration in the padding if not the shell which must have some effect on safety. Lots of helmet manufacturers used to sell replacement pads but this seems less common these days

nickfrog
    Free Member

I had to renew within 12 days as CRC had Fox Mainframe MIPS for £15 in L.

Although I previously had to renew within 3 months had I had found a Fox Speedframe MIPS for £42.

Etc etc

hatter

I Generally change lids every 3-4 years or whenever it starts to feel flexy.

natrix
    Free Member

After testing over 600 cycling helemts,

“There is no justification for two to ten year replacement recommendations based on impact performance.”

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm

feed

I thought the whole replace a motorbike helmet after a big impact was because they were (back then) made of fibreglass and designed to split to to absorb forces in an impact so even though they looked ok the material “could” be damaged. Same might apply to carbon fiber lids but I would assume most cycling helmets are plastic skin over foam. The other big difference is the speed, I’m guessing the fastest I’m going to crash a mountain bike is about 30kmh, motor bike could potentially be over 100kmh. I replace helmets when they look really manky, not based on number of years.

As an aside, I found one of my old (90’s) motorbike helmets in the attic a few months back. A Shoei of some description. I couldn’t believe the weight of it. Maybe I’m just used to lightweight mtb helmets and motorbike helmets are still heavy.

walowiz

@nickfrog lol missed the opportunity to get one before CRC closed for good, hadn’t realised I may need a new helmet!

@natrix

After testing over 600 cycling helemts,

“There is no justification for two to ten year replacement recommendations based on impact performance.”

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm

that’s interesting, I’m no expert, but I really thought foam would deteriorate with age, especially with regular use / sweat / weather etc.

@feed
    yep, that’s pretty much why.

looking at one of these,  it is it overkill for xc use ? https://www.sigmasports.com/item/POC/Kortal-Race-MIPS-MTB-Helmet/SG40

walowiz

@dartdude where did you find the Oakley DRT5 for £60 ?

Kramer
    Free Member

@walowiz that would be fine. A bit heavy if you’re a weight weenie, but that’s the sort of helmet I wear for my day to day riding.

wzzzz
    Free Member

When it stinks(!) I wish all helmets would come with a free set of replacement pads, when washed they start falling apart

jamj1974

I do all three:

1. Replace after 5 years.
    2. Replace if damaged.
    3. Replace if crashed with a head impact
    zerocool

If it’s been regularly used then I replace it every 4 or 5 years due to regular bumps and knocks it will have received in the bag, van, garage, beer garden, cafe, etc mixed with UV exposure. My Full Face is a lot older but it only comes out now and again, and is stored in a cool place out of the sun.

I’ve just realised my kayak helmet Sweet kayak helmet is 20 years old (hanging an old picture from back then) so probably should replace that.

retrorick

My Met parabellum is nearly 25 years old. Might get a trip out tomorrow 🤔.

walowiz

not sure I’d still use a helmet that old ! If I really liked it I’d maybe mount it on the wall of the man cave “maybe”.

so I bought a new lid in the sales, a Specialized Ambush, for £60 reduced from £125, super comfy and well it’s a Specialized so it’ll likely be very good, bit boring though.

i did really want an Oakley drt5, but couldn’t find anywhere local to try one on, it does come in a frankly fabulous green combo.

IMG_0766

nuke

Impressive. Although with your username, i was expecting an Etto helmet

chrismac

I check the foam with a finger nail. If it feels too rigid or stiff then it’s time to replace. It doesn’t happen very often as I normally have a lie down that requires it’s replacement first

dartdude
    Free Member

Sigma was where I bagged my Oakley drt5

It were a massive bargain as helmets go

Sizing is weird as there is no liner as such though fit is mmm so comfy

Only thing that would make it Uber nice is if it had a carbon outer shell

chakaping

I only replace when I know it’s taken a direct hit.

Currently have about nine helmets on active duty across the disciplines.

walowiz

Sigma was where I bagged my Oakley drt5
    It were a massive bargain as helmets go
    Sizing is weird as there is no liner as such though fit is mmm so comfy
    Only thing that would make it Uber nice is if it had a carbon outer shell

@dartdude
    thanks, at those prices that lid was a steal. Unsurprisingly none more in stock at that price.

joebristol

I had a POC Tectal and loved the look of it / the fit felt ok ish. But I’ve found it’s started to give me headaches on some rides.

Just picked up a Specialized Tactic for £45 from Certini in a sale. It instantly just feels better to me and I liked the price. The Ambush (next helmet up in the range) for £75 (also on sale) didn’t seem like it had much to justify the extra cost and the fit was significantly worse for my head shape for some reason.

I think with these things it’s best to go and try one in a shop and suck up the extra cost – once you’ve mail ordered one it’s tempted just to go with the fit if it’s ok ish rather then go through the hassle to send it back.

walowiz

@joebristol agreed, the tactic is a bargain,  if I hadn’t been able to get the ambush – albeit in boring black – for £60, I’d have got the tactic

if I’d have been able to source the tactic 4 in this dark moss colour combo in large I’d have had this. But the only place I can find it in stock is at Rutland cycles and they don’t deliver lol. Gotta laugh, must be the only place that doesn’t deliver.

IMG_0768

dartdude
    Free Member

Weird, I ordered a tld A1 bits from RUTTY.

Got 1st drop outta way on concrete garage ground on the shark fin like what Peaty does though mine wasn’t deliberate lol

Walowiz, check sigma again for Oakley helmets as sure I looked the other day to see some on special in different colours.

I went there by curiosity to get another for future though now need a full face fir bike park action

walowiz

Walowiz, check sigma again for Oakley helmets as sure I looked the other day to see some on special in different colours.

will do

mrauer

I replace mine at 5-7 years, depending on condition. If I crash it properly, replace at once. Also condition of straps and ratchets has to be taken into account – a solid helmet that comes off the straps and your head won’t do much good…

And if the EPS parts have lots of small nicks and bumps, replace. I usually have 2-4 helmets in use / rotation, and I replace them from the oldest when they start to look worn down in general.

I have also forced some friends to replace theirs, when they were looking more like potato fields on the outside – once a friend did a full flip forward over the bars and smacked to pieces the helmet I had given him a couple of weeks before. He was happy I did.

I also like to hammer-test the helmets when I bin them – some road helmets were so easy to crack to pieces that I mostly ride with a MTB helmet on the road too – just removed the visor. My favourite at the moment is the Endura MT500 Koroyd + MIPS version, it is an awesome helmet, fit-wise and durability-wise.

cx_monkey

I actually design & develop PPE – including helmets – for a well known brand in the industry. CE EN-1078 standard insists that the manual supplied with a helmet stipulates that consumers replace helmets at 3 years. However, there’s no justification for this as per the earlier link to helmets.org IF your helmet is stored in relatively benign conditions – extremes of temperature and UV will affect the longevity of PC shells and EPS impact liners. I’d recommend, as many earlier posters have said, that any reasonable impact is the point to replace. But even quite low level impacts can cause fractures in EPS, and the problem is you won’t always be able to see it. More complex helmets with dual density EPS and EPS/EPP impact liners will deal with this a little better. But my advice would be that if you think it may need to be replaced, or you’re even slightly concerned, just get it replaced.

walowiz

Weird, I ordered a tld A1 bits from RUTTY.

@dartdude
    tactic 4 from Rutlands is definitely click and collect only.

dartdude
    Free Member

Shitter! Try get a price match from somewhere local 🙂

walowiz

Thanks @cx_monkey that’s good to know. This place never ceases to amaze, with the breadth of expertise, knowledge and someone working in every sphere of industry.

Judging from the info in your post, it’s entirely possible I should have replaced the Bell lid quite a while ago.
    In fact I think I’ll follow @mrauer ‘s approach and have 2 in rotation.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.