Home Forums Bike Forum MTB around Bray, Co Wicklow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • MTB around Bray, Co Wicklow
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

We’re off to visit family who have moved to Bray. Never been before and wondering if it’s worth the hassle of taking my bike.

My googling skills have come up with The Ballinastoe Trail (14km) and The Ticknock Trail (8km).

…but I did notice this on the official Wicklow Mountain national park website.

Mountain Biking is not permitted within the National Park, due to the serious damage that it does to habitats.

Can anyone recommend anything in that area or an hours drive in either direction?

Thanks in advance.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd.

stcolin
    Free Member

Both are fantastic places to ride, lots of off piste riding and man made trails.

donncha

Both great spots:
    You are also close to https://www.thegap.ie/ if that is more of your thing.

honourablegeorge

Ballinastoe & Ticknock are official trail centres, and there’s loads of fantastic off-piste/enduro stuff in Djouce and the surrounding areas

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will take the bike then :)

Djouce sounds great from what I’ve read. Anyone got any good Strava routes?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The Gap (Glencullen Adventure Park) is defo worth a visit; excellent variety of trails with killer views and being a relatively small hill, you get loads of runs in during a session.

All told, it comes highly recommended (though I would say that having had free reign building one of the soon to be opened trails there)

beer247
    Free Member

I moved to Dublin 3 years ago – sold my MTB as thought “I’m moving to a city, no trails there!”

Could not have been more wrong!

As others have said – Ticknock and Ballinastoe are close, plenty of off-piste stuff as well as man made. The GAP is bike park stuff. Other places to check out

Djouce
    Carrick Mountain
    Devils Glen
    Roundwood
    Downs hill
    Trooperstown
    Glencoria

There’s loads! All this is within a 50 minute drive of Dublin City Centre so will be closer for you, if you’re based in Bray.

Please make sure you respect the trails and leave no trace!

nicko74

I’ve literally just moved here (4 weeks ago) and when the container turns up with my stuff I’ll be wondering the same thing. I’ve seen a few MTBers nearby (close to Sandyford/ Carrickmines), so there’s obviously some decent trails around!
    And tbf an hour’s drive from Bray is a pretty large radius – everything’s fairly close by!

big_scot_nanny

Another vote for Ticknock. I have to come over with work a fair bit (well, used to, likely again soon) to Dublin. Rent a flat in Sandyford rather than a hotel, and ride up to Ticknock from there. Warning, the road climb up is not much fun on an MTB.

The mail trails are great fun for a a few laps, but the off piste is a hoot. I just asked a local when up there (hello again Kevin), who showed me around a bit. Fab.

Lots of beaches also good for the fat bike if so inclined.

beer247
    Free Member

Nicko74 give me a shout if you need a guide!

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Looking forward to riding around there next week. Loads of choice. Fingers crossed the weather plays ball.

peterob

Even closer still (couple of km, won’t need a car to get there) you could try out the Leadmines/Carrickgollogan for some more decent (unmarked) trails, not as challenging as the other steeper trials but good fun all the same.

https://www.coillte.ie/site/carrickgollogan/

theomen

I live in Bray and can show you the local trails (beginning on Bray Head) and those trails further away. And as you are willing to drive an hour in either direction then there’s plenty of places to go. PM me if you want.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

@theomen thanks for the offer. That would have been perfect but it’s my last full day tomorrow. I’m hoping to bag Ticknock tomorrow morning before everyone wakes-up.

I love Bray btw, great location. Very envious.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘MTB around Bray, Co Wicklow’ is closed to new replies.