Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Movie clichés
  • emsz
    Free Member

The guy whistling a nice happy tune is always a baddy so that later on you’ll know something bad will happen and there will be a jarring difference between the murder/stabbing/nastiness and the cheerful happy whistling tune

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Hugh Grant as a dopey englishman.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

the fat , cheerful one who lags at the back will be the first to die

listen to the slow cello music and run like ****.!!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Unlimited shots,coming out of 30 round Magazine..

jekkyl

2 cops, one gets killed by the baddies giving the other one reason for revenge.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The unknown faceless security guard… Enjoy your 5/10 seconds in the movie before you die horribly.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A couple that suddenly find happiness together. One of them is about to die.

Any American teenager engaging in any sexual activity is going to die at the hands of a mad man. If the hanky panky is taking place in a cabin then the death will likely involve power tools.

The leading man is an expert in operating all forms of transport. trials bike yep like a pro, DC10? not a problem, space shuttle? I’m bringing her home.

grievoustim
    Free Member

“we’re not so different you and I” – Villain to Hero

drunk tramp sees something amazing – looks at the bottle of cheap booze in his hand and throws it away

Last day on the job = dead by the end of act 1 “Mendozaaaaaa!”

Car chase through an “ethnic” location – a fruit cart will be overturned

A car containing our heros crashes and comes to a halt.

If our heros leap from the car and start runnning >>>>> the car will explode
    If our heros remain seated >>>>>> the car will not explode

Junkyard
    Free Member

love scene – its has no real purpose but we will put it in anyway
    Often associated with the pointless boob shot
    As above but you get to see ladies breasts as well.

Shawshank redemption WTF Is that ending – Its straight out of a fairytale as all films must resolve to something happy no matter how preposterous

stumpy01

People getting shot bt a hand gun and being thrown backwards through the air.

People being shot multiple times, but they’re still comin’…..

The 10 second bomb timer that takes at least 2 mins to get to zero

The ‘dead’ person with just enough life left in him for a resurgent attack, a minute or so later.

The ‘dead’ person who comes back to life when someone tells them ‘I love you’

Crappy Police cars can keep up with modern supercars, all the while sliding all over the place like they are on an ice rink.

Not sure it’s a cliche, but squealing tyres; on gravel.

nedrapier

L-shaped bed linen, that allow a man’s chest to be uncovered while preserving his lady’s modesty

DezB
    Free Member

As above but you get to see ladies breasts as well.

Apart from the top paid celeb actresses who get to have sex with their bras on. Yeah, cos you wouldn’t want to see their boobies when in bed with them eh?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

as all films must resolve to something happy no matter how preposterous

What about Kes and that bastard Judd 🙁

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The plumber who is fixing the kitchen sink always ends up having sex with the housewife.

Harry_the_Spider

Every window in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower.

Everybody who coughs in a period drama dies as a result of it.

A car door will protect you in a gun fight.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Black guy

jekkyl

Every film with the words Nicholas and Cage on the poster is rubbish.

leaving las vegas?
    con air? (well maybe it’s not great but it’s still a pretty good movie)

I urge you to reconsider your opinion.

Harry_the_Spider

I have. Hence the quick edit.

bencooper
    Free Member

Aliens who are smart enough to build massive interstellar spacecraft and death rays, yet are outfoxed by strategies not much more sophisticated than “Hey, look over there!”

Massive alien space ships which always have one tiny flaw unnoticed by their super-intelligent designers but spotted by the plucky humans, which makes the whole thing blow up.

pondo

Shawshank redemption WTF Is that ending – Its straight out of a fairytale as all films must resolve to something happy no matter how preposterous

Dead Man In A Shawshank Sewer Pipe wouldn’t have had the same ring on the billboards. 🙂

RustySpanner

The Americans beat the Axis powers on their own.

LimboJimbo

Paramedics will, without anyone asking, always pause mid way through loading an injured person into an ambulance long enough for someone to tell them “hang on, don’t you dare die on me!”

GrahamS

Cars that have fifteen gears for dramatic car chases.

brakes
    Free Member

^^this is the best one.
    cars in which an extra, previously unavailable, gear can be suddenly engaged to overtake another car you’re racing.

RustySpanner

No one locks cars. Ever.

In period dramas why are city streets not awash with horse piss?

Klunk
    Free Member

the number of extremely attractive people that get involved in this kind of this shit !

nedrapier

Goodie with pistol, on the move (forward rolls etc) methodically picks people off, while baddies with rifles, prone or braced, keep just missing.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

American High school kids clearly in their early thirties

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anything to do with computers will be massively WRONG
    the bad guy having captured the good guy, instead of just shooting him dead will then launch into a 10 minute speech giving the good guy enough time to escape. I mean look – really, you had a high powered laser to hand but no gun

And on the subject of lasers, those brightly coloured beams happen because the light reflects of particles in the air – in space there are no particles in the air. That’s because there’s no air so sound can’t carry so why do things go BOOM when they explode in space. And American cars that roll once and explode. And back to space, all those stars streaming by when they’re going fast, do you know how far away they are, more than 1/2 a mile. and a parsec is a unit of distance not speed, it’s the distance at which the orbit of the earth subtends 1 angular second, about 3.3 light years, so no Han Solo you did not do any runs in 12 parsecs you bullshitting bullshitter.

oh and let’s not forget falling off motorbikes/jumping out of moving cars yielding nothing more than a light scratch or a torn shirt. try it, I did, it’s not like that at all
    and while we’re on this what about all those aliens with their awesome faster than light blow things up with lasers in space making sound carry across a vacuum technology, yet somehow seem to have neglected to invent clothes

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

it’s the distance at which the orbit of the earth subtends 1 angular second, about 3.3 light years, so no Han Solo you did not do any runs in 12 parsecs you bullshitting bullshitter.

😆 that is exactly what Jabba the hut should have said to Han Solo

bencooper
    Free Member

There’s also no sound so why do things go BOOM when they explode in space.

Ooh, yes. Alien had the tagline “In Space, No-one Can Hear You Scream.”

But you can hear the Nostromo’s sodding engines rumbling in the opening scene!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

oh oops i have been getting carried away with this.
    calm down dear, it’s only a cliche.

LimboJimbo

BigButSlimmerBloke, I’m not sure Groundhog Day was a cliche. 😀

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

Cars that have fifteen gears for dramatic car chases.

Also, the fact that all vehicles in a car chase go at exactly the same speed, unless one of them gets a bit ahead at which point the one behind goes faster. See especially: James Bond’s aston martin, Ethan Hunt’s Triumph Speed Triple which is inexplicably not faster than a pickup truck.

Quarter mile drag races take a minute, obviously.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

Anything to do with computers will be massively WRONG

in matrix reloaded the bit where trinity is hacking into the power station is actually proper commands and uses a known exploit.

marcus7
    Free Member

If you exploded a rock in space then the dust would reflect a laser beam….. just sayin… 😉

nedrapier

Ethan Hunt’s and [insert baddie’s name here]’s bikes both went into the pits to swap to knobblies when then hit the dirt. I imagine them standing next to each other, inspecting their fingernails, talking about the traffic on the way, a bit like in the Kit Kat ad, before resuming the frantic chasing.

shermer75
    Free Member

The final fist fight between hero and main bad guy will always happen in high place, eg on top a crane/tower/bridge/scaffolding etc etc

Northwind

I liked Pacific Rim, in which the male and female lead spend the entire film smouldering at each other, then in the end don’t kiss, and just look sort of awkward instead. Groundbreaking stuff 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

and a parsec is a unit of distance not speed, it’s the distance at which the orbit of the earth subtends 1 angular second, about 3.3 light years, so no Han Solo you did not do any runs in 12 parsecs you bullshitting bullshitter.

There’s some sort of horrendous fanboi fix for this, I’m not going to look it up because I’m already enough of a nerd.

ChrisL

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

and a parsec is a unit of distance not speed, it’s the distance at which the orbit of the earth subtends 1 angular second, about 3.3 light years, so no Han Solo you did not do any runs in 12 parsecs you bullshitting bullshitter.

IIRC, George Lucas’s word on this is that yes, Han was trying to bullshit Luke and Obi-Wan, who he thought were yokels. But as Northwind says the Expanded Universe has defined the Kessel Run as a navigational challenge, so a clever pilot can complete it in a shorter distance than others can.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Movie clichés’ is closed to new replies.