Home Forums Chat Forum Motor insurance NCB rant

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Motor insurance NCB rant
  • jamesmio
    Free Member

I know this will be covered in some small print on page 74, but what an unsavoury experience. Even by motor insurance standards.

Have policy, 11 years no claims discount (as stated on policy). Last year as a birthday present to myself I scraped the side of the van along a small wall at the local bike shop car park. Did a right job on it, fairly costly repair – all done through the insurance.

Renewal cost is over double (kind of expected as much), but my NCB has dropped to 3 years.

Called insurers (Aviva) to question it and told ‘we only count 5 years NCB and a claim costs 2 years, so you’re at 3 now’.

I started with 11, lose 2 and end up with 3. I’m not a genius, but that maths does not add up.

Real world consequence is my quotes elsewhere are anything from 50 to 100 quid higher like-for-like when comparing 3 years and 8 years NCB.

I’m aware this will solve nothing, but I appreciate the medium into which I’m able to type away some rage and displeasure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If its any consolation NCB makes very little difference. ..the main cost differentiation is in you actually having the accident.

Last vehicle I bought I had 0ncb as I’d been driving a classic car for so long.

Difference between 0 and the 10 years I actually have was 30 quid.

MoreCashThanDash

5 years has always been the maximum NCB?

That’s why mine is protected.

Cougar

I started with 11, lose 2 and end up with 3. I’m not a genius, but that maths does not add up.

No, you started with full NCB which is five years.

singletrackmind

You pay to protect the discount
    You put in a claim, this then increases the premium, which is then reduced back again as you paid to protect it.
    So you end up with the same amount, less paying for the protection

jamesmio
    Free Member

I appreciate it’s only words, and the entire Insurance racket is one big game of Simon Says.

But, if the maximum NCB is 5 years, then why do insurers ask for and allow you to enter details of more than this, accept 11 years when asked and then publish the words ’11 years’ on my current policy next to the line saying ‘No claims discount’.

Cants the lottovum.

MoreCashThanDash

People’s failure to read and understand quite important legal contracts never fails to disappoint me.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Aviva’s discount table is online and shows you’ve gone from a 30% discount to 26% discount due to it being reduced from max down to 3 years.

Gribs

If you’re paying extra for it stop wasting your money. Fairly obviously it’s designed to work in the insurers favour.

dc1988

What’s more weird is that you could have 3 years NCD when you’ve just claimed. Surely you should be on zero.

jamesmio
    Free Member

you’ve gone from a 30% discount to 26% discount

The renewal price doubling – and some – suggests otherwise.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The discount is taken off your brand new much higher risk higher price.

mashr

Gribs
    If you’re paying extra for it stop wasting your money. Fairly obviously it’s designed to work in the insurers favour.

“I’ve paid for protection but my premium has gone up” is another good rant

mashr

jamesmio
    Free Member

You’re mixing up different factors there. If NCB wasn’t a thing the price would increase considerably. You then have to apply the discount to that new price

ajantom

On the flip side, my car was written off by an uninsured driver ☹️ and as such it counted as an ‘at fault’ claim.
    I lost 2yrs NCB (from a max of 9 with my insurer, so down to 7) and my renewal on the replacement car (which was a broadly similar 2ltr turbo diesel) was only £30 more.

MoreCashThanDash

and as such it counted as an ‘at fault’ claim

No, it counted as “a claim” for which they couldn’t recover all their outlay.

ajantom

No, it counted as “a claim” for which they couldn’t recover all their outlay.

Ok, you probably know better than me. But the way it was explained by my insurers was if he’d been insured, or they’d been able to recover their costs, it would have been classed as a non-fault claim and I’d not have lost any NCB.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s a “no CLAIMS bonus”, the clue is in the name.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

with full NCB which is five years.

And there in a nutshell is why insurance stinks.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You could just look where you’re going…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Motor insurance NCB rant’ is closed to new replies.