Home Forums Bike Forum Morzine trail recomendations, not full on downhill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Morzine trail recomendations, not full on downhill
  • mrl

In theory I am off to Morzine on Friday. Ignoring the likelihood that it will be cancelled what are the best trails to ride. Going as a family so will taking it in turns to ride, so both of us will be riding on our own. Ideally looking for natural style trails (not massive berms, doubles etc) that can be accessed by the lifts. Happy with technical trails but don’t want bike park runs all day. Thanks.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s endless trails that link the various resorts / bike parks like that, most of the Passportes route is like that.

When I’m off on a solo, whilst my Wife is out with the kids I tend to ride them – liaisons I think they call them, my route is usually, Morzine to Les Gets, ride the old motorway DH track for old times sake (it’s awful) ride the bike park for a bit. Take the DH/Endruo/Trail ish liaison back to Morzine, up Super Morzine, ride the bike park for a bit, then over to Avoriaz. It’s about 70km and last year I did in on a rented DH bike without breaking too much of a sweat.

Most of the major trails now are very bike parky now though, there’s all the technical riding you could ever want if you want to head off-piste, but a lot of it falls under the OMFG this steep and technical, like steeper and more technical than you’d think anyone would ever want to ride.

Most of the DH tracks on the Pleney slope are more technical than bike park, the 2 blues are perfectly easy to ride on a trail bike with a bit of care and there’s mot much mad made to them.

nickjb
    Free Member

The PPDS route is nice. It’s very long but the lifts make it do-able in a day without too much effort and you can cut a few bits out. Start early, though to give yourself some margin. You don’t want to be in Switzerland when the lift shuts.

The routes from the top of Mossettes are reasonably natural. Quite rocky and loose in places, and the big hill lets you build up some speed so go careful.

Panoramic to Serpentine above Chatel is quite bike parky (but not jumpy) but its got great views. Won’t take long so you can squeeze it in somewhere. Maybe when doing the runs down from Avoriaz to Linderettes. These are bike park trails but they are more natural feeling, not bermy.

The two big loops on either side of Les Gets are pretty good too. A bit of climbing but it gets you away from the parks.

There are some off piste options that might suit. One off the saddle of the ridge between Zores and Avoriaz back to Morzine. Or the run to Samoens (For this you will need a (car) lift back but maybe it could tie in with a day out for the other partner)

Failing that just go riding. If you are based in Morzine its easy to go to most places within the area, ride a bit, do a few lifts, ride somewhere else, and so on. Roll home when done.

There is quite a nice way home from Linderettes that takes you past Lac Mondrian. That’s a nice play for kids so you could meet up there.

mrl

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like there are options but might needed to look around. Daughter is riding too but as she is seven it won’t be big stuff!

sharkattack

Your list of requirements kind of cancels out everything I can think of.

Firstly, it’s a bike park. So it’s naturally
    full of bike park runs. Almost every single trail has berms and jumps even if they’re tiny. All the natural techy, off piste stuff can get pretty wild.

You’ll definitely find something to ride but you’ll have to take the trails as you find them. I recommend just jumping on a lift and following the blue arrows to start with.

mrl

I guess I have only been to tignes, Les arc and the like were there are bike park trails and more natural trails and bits of EWS type stuff. Will start with the blue

Nonsense
    Free Member

https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/medias/images/info_pages/plan-vtt-pds-2019-2143.pdf

The orange trails are probably Closest to what you are after. Link up the orange down to Lindarets/Mossette from Avoriaz. Then take the Mossette lift up. The red off the back is quite natural feeling and the orange back is a mix of pedal and natural rocky stuff. There’s plenty of natural trails but you have to know you’re way around to find the best ones. I live in Lyon at the moment so I ride there quite a bit as it’s only a couple of hours away.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Try Soylent green. Really nice for beginners / kids but still fun for more experienced riders to pop silly tricks on…

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/soylent-green/

lowey

Few spring to mind.

Take the panoramic trail but instead of turning right and droping to Chatel carry straight on and take the path down to the Ardent Cascade. Quite techy but great fun.
    20190710_154836 by Dave Lowe[/url], on Flickr

Superb descent from Col de la Basse down through the trees to Essert-Romand.

Col du Cu from Mosettes and down the valley back to Morzine

There a loads of brilliant trails from Col du Joux Plane down to Samoens but you would need a lift back to Morzine.

Let me know if you need some strava links or GPX.

mrl

Thanks for extra suggestions. Gpx would be great, my email is in my profile. Thanks

leonthepro
    Free Member

Currently on the way down to Morzine with a few stops on the way before getting there on Saturday. Sounds like we are in a similar situation so if you fancy meeting up for ride let me know as I am sure my wife and son will be horse riding one afternoon so will have some free time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Morzine trail recomendations, not full on downhill’ is closed to new replies.