Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Morfa Nefyn staycation
  • ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Having cancelled our holidays abroad, we’ve booked a cottage in Morfa for a week.
    Enjoyed holidays as a kid at the Warren in Abersoch but it looks to attract a different clientele now, the riff-raff have been priced out. We don’t own a Land Rover or a jet ski so we’ve avoided Abersoch altogether.

Anyone got any recommendations of things to do in-and-around Morfa. It will be me and the mrs, baby and a toddler with grand parents joining us for a few days.

I’ve been given the green light to take my mountain bike too.

jaylittle
    Free Member

It’s a great spot. Some great clifftop strolls if the weather allows and a stroll along the beach to the Ty Coch Inn is a must.

hb70

Whispering Sands is lovely. Aberdaron too. Then round the corner to Portmerion is very worthwhile for a day out. Yes Abersoch has changed but is probably still worth a visit as part of a day out. And if you surf Hellsmouth can be great.

uwe-r
    Free Member

In that part of the world it helps to plan your days in line with the weather forecast. The prevailing SW wind hits some of the beaches full on where as where you are should be very calm, if there is a northerly wind head to the other side. Whispering sands is lovely. All the little touristy villages are worth a look round

chrisdb
    Free Member

Cafe at Whistling Sands (Porthor) is worth a visit, they do a good breakfast and it’s a lovely beach.

Ty Coch for a beer on the beach obviously. For food, the best option nearby for a meal out is The Ship in Edern (next village South of Morfa) but you need to call up in advance as their capacity depends on the weather (they have outside bits in good weather). The Cliffs in Morfa is a bit hit and miss. Gwen’s chippy in Morfa is actually pretty good as it’s all cooked fresh.

The garage in Morfa is a bit of an Aladdin’s cave and has a really good butchers/bakery area at the back if you need to stock up for a BBQ.

Wander along to the Brewery in Nefyn https://cwrwllyn.cymru/en/ – great local beer.

They do surf and SUP lessons at Nefyn.

For biking, there is a crazy downhill track at Nant Gwrtheyrn but be careful… The cafe at the bottom is not bad. Walking in the Rivals is good, on a clear day you can see all the way down the peninsula and across Cardigan bay to Snowdonia.

You can cycle up the hill behind Nefyn which is mostly fire road with some small sections of singletrack at the top. Coed Y Brenin is about an hours drive.

Porth Ceiriad is good for a surf or just for a nice beach walk that’s a bit quieter.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t expect it to be quiet! Bookings have remained strong into Sept/Oct so it won’t be deserted.
    The entire peninsula has been visited by a different ‘clientel’ this summer (i.e. laaaads that would have gone to Spain, etc.) leading to a few problems with kids on beaches after the pubs close at 10pm.
    This has affected the whole of the peninsula but seems to have now ended thankfully.

Plenty of good suggestions above. Hells Mouth is a little closer to you than Porth Ceiriad and generally has better conditions for surfing/bodyboarding but not always – check abersoch.co.uk for daily surf report.
    Check that the Ty Coch is open the day you go – they’ve not been open every day.

I’d definitely go to Abersoch for a day – great beach (as you know), sheltered SW-NW wind and a fair number of shops, cafe’s, etc. It has changed but generally for the better and now that silly season (Aug) is over it’s a nice place to go.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Thanks for the info folks!

Cycling wise, I’ll probably try either Betws-y-Coed or Coed-y-Brenin, they both seem about an hours drive away and done neither before.

@chrisdb
    – how crazy is Nant Gwrtheyrn? Do you have to pay?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Morfa Nefyn staycation’ is closed to new replies.