• This topic has 71 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 7hz.
Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Monstercross
  • Stoner
    Free Member

What it isn’t;
    Anything with suspension

You are NOT going to like what Im about to do to mine then 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Here’s mine … slag off at will 😉

sofaking
    Free Member

this was so much fun 🙂

[/url] swift bull by SoFaKiNg., on Flickr[/img]

Sorry Sam

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

So, are most of these additions of drop bars to frames previously ridden with flats? Just thinking that banging a set of midge bars or the like on my Niner EMD would make it a bit stretched – even with a short/high stem. Ridden a large Swift and sizewise it feels spot on with flats; would the consensus be that if starting from scratch a medium would be better? (…..or a large Gryphon!)

cynic-al
    Free Member

IME/O 3-4 cm less on the TT is ideal (relative to a flat-barred frame).

And so I’m riding a 18″ Kona and it’s still a bit too long – I’d usually ride a 19-20″ bike…I couldn’t afford a new Fargo/Gryphon and actually like the light/stiff alu ride.

Woody
    Free Member

Yup. I would say a size down would be necessary depending on top tube length. I bought the Redline below thinking it was 17″ (it’s a 19″) and it was stretch too far. You could always go short stem and inline post.

I liked it a lot – so much so I’ve bought a proper cx frame in the right size 🙂

merlinshearer
    Free Member

Before I embark on Project Monstercross anyone got one I could sit on (in the East Mids / East of England) to gauge frame size – I’m 6’4″ and normally ride a 21″ – 26″wheeled ‘normal’ mountain bike. Much appreciated!!

merlinshearer
    Free Member

@Stoner – is that an On-One Inbred?

@epicyclo
    – what frame is that?

epicyclo

merlinshearer – Member

@epicyclo
    – what frame is that?

Ragley TD-1

cynic-al
    Free Member

epi what are the forks?

epicyclo

Chinese Ti. Made short to minimise flex, but unfortunately they didn’t get the bit about making them wider.

I overdid the shortness because I didn’t leave enough room for one of my classy mudguards. 🙂

Ride nicely though and light.

I’m going to do a set of drawings and maybe try the Russians if my current fork experiment doesn’t work..

(They’re coming off the bike so I can have a mudguard for winter, so if you want to try a Ti fork I’ll bring them down to Edinburgh next visit – as long as I have them back before the ‘Puffer)

Stoner
    Free Member

Mine’s based on a 21″ Scandal with vert dropouts.
    The frame isnt designed for drop bars, the dropouts arent designed for SS and the frame is too big for drop bars.

Proper tool abuse.

swavis

I’m just about to build a monstercross up. Still trying to decide on the frame. I thought about a karate monkey, but it was pointed out to me that the horizontal drop outs might be a PITA when running discs, so then I thought Inbred 29er with carbon forks. I’m now liking the look of the Fargo and the Gryphon, I don’t think the Gryphon has rack mounts though does it?
    Flinking choices 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks epi – maybe, how much did they cost? I am guessing <$545 for the US fat ti forks…

Swavis I think the new or latest Gryphons have rack mounts? Pretty sure there’s been some chat on that. Check stock BTW, Singular don’t carry lots.

Sam is great to deal with – just drop him a line on both counts.

swavis

Cheers Al, I think I’ll do just that. 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Sadly sold to duckman

Sam

I don’t think the Gryphon has rack mounts though does it?

The new ones do – they were supposed to be delivered today but we’ve had a hold up in customs, should be early next week.

Check stock BTW, Singular don’t carry lots.

As I think I said in another thread – problem is that you buggers keep buying em (and lead times are very long, though I’m working on that). There are 100 Gryphons arriving in this lot, with about a dozen back ordered. That should tide us over for a little while.

Sam is great to deal with – just drop him a line on both counts.

Awwww – thanks Al 😳

Any further questions by all means drop me a line.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My eyes are bleeding.

mrvear
    Free Member

Most of these are mountain bikes with drop bars, are they not?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes – probably due to a shortage of drop-bar 29er frames (Fargo, Gryphon only IFAICT?)

Sam

Drop bar 29er, monstercross, there’s not a huge amount of difference, if any.

Sam

Oh, and Al, there are also the Rawland Drakkar, Vassago Fisticuff, and a couple of others I can’t put my finger on right now.

Another nice one….

Sam

Possibly my all time favourite Peregrine build from a customer in Finland.

Antti Finland Per S by Singular Cycles, on Flickr

cynic-al
    Free Member

All v nice Sam, it would just be nice if an On-one equivalent (i.e. say under £300) was on the market – I appreciate the market’s not big enough though.

I am tempted (if I can ever afford it) to get a custom Chinese/Russian ti monstercross/tourer a la Gryphon/Fargo but with a head tube that’s what I call a “reasonable length”.

Sam

I am tempted (if I can ever afford it) to get a custom Chinese/Russian ti monstercross/tourer a la Gryphon/Fargo but with a head tube that’s what I call a “reasonable length”.

Would that be shorter or longer than a Gryphon? I expect shorter?

swavis

I can see why you like that Peregrine, it’s lovely! I think it’s the tyres that just top it off! 😀

epicyclo

The long headtube lets you get the bars at the right height for riding drops offroad without lots of silly spacers.

jfeb
    Free Member

They aren’t pretty but they are fun

P1020569

nedrapier

Sam, that guy’s two pics swung my mind to getting one. There’s another one of his with road slicks on and it looks just as good!

Second Sam being incredibly helpful. I would have annoyed me with the amount of emails I sent him, but helpful answers came back every time.

jameso

Singlespeed Shep for STW build of the year.. great looking bike, spot on build, I love it.

swavis

Second Sam being incredibly helpful. I would have annoyed me with the amount of emails I sent him, but helpful answers came back every time.

I’m putting him through the same experience just now 😆

7hz
    Free Member

What happens when you happen upon a cross monster whist riding your monster cross bike?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Monstercross’ is closed to new replies.