Home Forums Chat Forum Monitor input switches

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Monitor input switches
  • molgrips
    Free Member

One monitor, one MacBook Pro 13″ (with four thunderbolt ports), one PC with mini DP outputs.

I just bought a monitor switch, set it up and the output on the MBP flickers and goes off every few seconds. Reading a bit suggests this is because I’m using a thunderbolt to mini DP adapter dongle. Other switches that seem to support thunderbolt directly are hundreds of quids.

Anyone done similar without spending hundreds?

5lab
    Free Member

does the monitor itself not have several input methods? just use 2 of them (even if one is VGA) and press the button on the monitor

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks for chipping in but that wasn’t what I asked.

bigginge

I’ve not done this with a MacBook but I use a little thunderbolt/usb-c docking station to power my laptop and to split out two HDMI pots and one display port connection (amongst other things). I use the two HDMI connections to drive my main monitors without issue and believe the display port output is just as reliable. Suspect you can pick up a similar one for less money if you’re just after the one display port output.

https://amzn.eu/1lGwEqr

TiRed

Have a small dell DA-310 usb-c hub that I use from work to give an hdmi and a displayport. It’s very stable but struggles to pass through my 34” ultra wide resolution. It’s been widely recommended.

That may stabilise the signal into your switch. Previously I used a hdmi switcher for my two laptops. I now use the ultra wide with PIP with the work laptop taking usb-c for 3/4 of the screen and my vintage MBP mini display port to another HDMI in the top corner. It was, however, fine with the hdmi switcher and a normal monitor before that.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I use a Sony av receiver. Also for sound too of course. Bit overkill perhaps.No guarantee it would work either.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.