Home Forums Chat Forum Momentum Warranty – worth it or pointless

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Momentum Warranty – worth it or pointless
  • samuri
    Free Member

Will collect my new (second hand) car tomorrow. Showroom do a month warranty.
    They’ve suggested a momentum warranty for about £250 for a year. I’m inclined to not bother. I can find a bit of stuff on the internet about them not being great.

Anyone here had any experience?

kcal

yeah to new to you cars. just done that, somewhat distress purchase (old car condemned, holiday fast approaching, oops).

We got 6 months warranty as stock (think, might have been 1 year). Declined the other trappings – polish inside & out (£300, no thanks) and “gap” insurance (i.e. to cover what the car’s actually worth v. what you’ve overpaid for it), about the same..

is it for just 1 year or rolling? I’m inclined to find a trusty local garage to check it over (we have a 1 month ‘return guarantee FWIW), and keep it on right tracks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Isnt the default warrenty on s/h cars from dealers 6 months in law?

northernmatt

I’d not bother, if anything did go wrong they try their best to wiggle out of having to actually pay for anything anyway.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Most warranties are not worthy the paper they’re written on, especially for second hand cars. The only people credible enough to offer a warranty are the oem’s, and even then they’ll try to wiggle out of it or limit their liabilities – check out the small print. I’ll be willing to wager they only cover the replacement/repair of the part that failed and not the consequential damage that occurred as a result of the failure, which can often be the bulk of the repair costs.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, having thought over it I think I’ll save the money and simply pay it to my friendly garage owner to give it a good check over instead.

My understanding on the law side is that garages don’t have to offer any warranty at all on second hand car sales but by law the purchaser can return the car within six months if they find it is faulty in some way. What this means is that if the purchaser finds something is not as described at the point of sale within the first six months, they can return to the car and demand a return or repair. This is different to a warranty.

My concern as I’ve pointed out before is the amount of noise on Audi forums about these 2.0TDi engines which seem prone to rounding off their oil pump connector which results in catastrophic failure. After much research and discussion these failures do seem to be most prevalent on 05/06 cars but have been seen on newer models too (this one is an ’08). In the real world, I’ve not been able to find anyone who has actually seen one of these failures but I’m just a bit nervous. I’ve no reason to believe anything else is wrong with the car, it looks like it’s in great condition.

I’ll get the car with the month warranty but then book it into my local garage and get him to have a look at the oil pump connector. if it’s the shorter version (the one prone to failing) then he can replace it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Momentum Warranty – worth it or pointless’ is closed to new replies.