Home Forums Chat Forum Mobile Tool Cabinet

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mobile Tool Cabinet
  • drnosh
    Free Member

Just overhauling a ‘new to me’* mobile tool cabinet.

[/url]

I can easily replace the foam liners for the drawers – Machine Mart or 1000 e bay suppliers.

What about the closed cell foam on the top?

Machine Mart advise me they have never supplied this item as a spare part and have been in touch with their Far East supplier.

Its like a foam/rubber, 8mm thick.

Anybody got any suggestions?

* Got it for a company charity donation of £25 from one of my clients. They have a number of these around the manufacturing area.

A fork lift truck was manouvering, the tool cabinet was below the eyeline at the back of the truck, the rear swung round, clouted the tool cabinet, all the drawers slid open, the centre of gravity changed immediately, the cabinet tipped over, tools, fittings, contents spread over 25 square metres !!!

H & S got involved (quite rightly) as the cabinet weighs about 50 kg without contents. Could have broken somebodys leg or more.

So they have purchased tool cabinets with latches to open the drawer, and only 1 drawer at a time.

Old cabinets available to anybody with £25 in their pocket. Thank You.

simon_g

It’s very similar to the foam floor tiles – tricky to just buy a single tile though, tends to be in packs.

fossy

See what’s on ebay. I bought the foam floor tiles for soundproofing an Aygo Boot – dead easy to cut to size and a pack was about £20 from Homebase.

SirHC

We’ve put proper wooden tops on ours at work, clean up much easier. They are the long ones so we’ve got a vice on them as well, plus a couple of paving slabs in the bottom to keep them more upgright.

stumpy01

Are these cabinets not normally topped with that erm, black ribbed rubber surface to stop tools from sliding around.

I googled, somewhat bravely, “fine fluted rubber sheet”.

Like this:

https://deltamart.co.uk/product/fine-ribbed-rubber-sheet/
    https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2320-standard-fine-fluted-rubber-matting-3mm-or-6mm-thick-per-metre.aspx

Might be a bit pricey & OTT on a bargain purchase though.

drnosh
    Free Member

Going to the Winter Classic/Vintage Motorcycle show at Newark Showground tomorrow.

Might find something suitable there.

At the moment, floor tiles look the favourite. I have found a pack – unopened- left over after covering the workshop floor. Should get enough out of just 1 tile, with a 50mm join down each side, avoiding a join in the centre.

A wooden top does look nicer for cleanup but I refer the rubber/foam at it makes any small screws, washers etc ‘dead’ and less likely to get lost.

Deltamart and esedirect interesting, but too spendy for what I need.

Stumpy 01. Yes there is a foam rubber top that has been used as a cutting board, sawing on, gluing on, painting on etc., hence wanting to replace the whole piece with new.

RustyNissanPrairie

Blown polyethylene.

I’m a hoot at parties.

Northwind

Basically any sheet rubber will do the job, the oe stuff is a bit crap anyway. Thickness is quite important though, there’s not much lip on htese so if you go with a thicker sheet you’ll be more likely to have stuff roll off. Alternatively if you go thicker, you can make it into a more useful table as big stuff can hang over without hitting the lip. Just depends what you want.

Mine has an offcut of crappy plywood on it, works great, I use it as a table/occasional work surface/place to pile crap up on.

Paradiso
    Free Member

I’ve used this recently for a similar purpose.  You can cut to shape with a carving knife.  The 3mm or 5mm should suit.  Search on Ebay.

Adhesive Back Sponge / Foam Neoprene / EPDM

BLACK Rubber Sheet 1.5 mm to 25 mm Thick

robertajobb

https://www.barjo.co.uk/car-cages/1m-rubber-matting-l39-x-w48

I’ve got this stuff in the bottom of the dog cage in the car. It’s perfect for the top of a toolbox as you want, and 3mm thick.  This one is pricey, but maybe you can find the same stuff but smaller ?

duncancallum

Yoga mat is on one of mine

drnosh
    Free Member

Yoga on the top of a tool cabinet?

Delicate?

Good find on the Adhesive Back Sponge / Foam Neoprene / EPDM on ebay.

Going to stick with plan A – Floor tile.

Thanks all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.