Home Forums Bike Forum Michelin Wild Enduro – do they still crack? And WTB instead?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Michelin Wild Enduro – do they still crack? And WTB instead?
    bedfordrd

So, I love the Michelin Wild Enduro tyre – the basic ‘competition’ line – they are the grippiest tyres I have ever used for my style of riding. I have them on my Capra, and had them on my Jeffsy before selling it for an eeb.
    Not tried the heavier ‘Race’ line as there’s a hefty weight penalty. But… fed up with the sidewall/case cracking after not a lot if time and use, so I’m reluctant to purchase again unless someone can tell me that Michelin have ‘fixed’ this issue?

Seems I’m not alone – a quick ask of google and it appears quite a few riders have problems with cracking sidewalls on various Micheline tyres, so I’m not optimistic for a fix.

So the other question is: what do I replace them with for racing in the Alps (Enduro2) this summer on the Capra?
    Caveat – I need to be able to ride (and pedal!) the bike at other places, so a full-on DH casing tyre won’t do.

What’s closest to a Wild Enduro in terms of carcass robustness, grip and rolling speed. Or do I just suck it up and get the WEs knowing I’ll be junking them after 3 days racing?
    (The Conti Kryptotals are near the top of list, as are a pair of Vittoria Mazza, the Assegai/DHR2 and MM/BB combos, but only have real world experience of the Mazza and MM).

confusedandundecideddotcom

joebristol

I’ve used the rear Kryptotal in trail casing and it felt pretty robust – certainly more so than maxxis exo+ casings. I imagine the enduro version will be pretty strong and even grippier with the softer rubber. Not used the front though.

I’ve got 2 wild enduros and neither have cracked – one is a gum-x 650b and the other is a magi-x 29er. Neither have that blue / yellow colouring on the sidewall.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I’ve got two of the race version both cracked but it has not been an issue. It is a bit irritating for a tyre that costs so much. They are excellent grip wise and puncture protection works well on rough granit/roots round our way.

hooli

I am interested in the answers too, I have Wild enduros on both my bikes and both have cracked around each tread knob on the front. The newest tyre is only about 6 months old so I don’t think I’ll be buying them again. It is a shame because I like the grip and they seem to shed mud quite well too.

joebristol

It’s a funny one as I’ve run dhr2s for years fine – but my current one has cracks and splits on most of the knobs – can’t see it being long before some of them part ways with the casing.

For non mud conditions I think the Maxxis Assegai is pretty amazing as a front tyre. Maybe chuck on a dissector or aggressor in a DD casing on the rear?

Yak

No cracking on my wild enduros. Some other tyres are cracked though – onza, specialized. But the cracked tyres are still ok. The knobs aren’t immediately falling off or anything. Dunno, luck, where they are stored, UV, ozone, fairies… ?

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve been running the non-Race versions for years now, currently got them on both my FS and SL eBike – never had an issue with them cracking.

I usually can get 6 months out of a set before they lose their ‘grip’, but barely managed 3 months on the eBike before they were trashed (mainly Tweed Valley).

jedi

I uE 2.6 wild enduro ebike version on both acoustic and electric bikes. Never had any split

Northwind

The Argotal really is superb tbh, don’t know if it’s going to have any long-term issues but so far I’m absolutely in love.

But I’m mostly still on maxxis, dhr2 and assegai and an occasional shorty, and dabbling in rockrazors on the back because they’re bloody brilliant. Thing is, maxxi do do odd things like fold knobs or crack or go wobbbly but it never seems to matter as much as with other brands, a shagged out maxxis tends to still do good work while a worn michelin or schwalbe tends to just go completely crap.

chakaping

No cracking on mine either.

As for alternatives, I’m not a fan of the Assegai for general UK riding (it clogs too easily), but it would probably be brilliant for enduro racing in the Alps.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab has worn through a few sets – he rates them hugely in performance, easily an alternative to Magic Mary or DHR/DHR.

We have had far more issues with Specialized, a few issues with Schwalbe.

We would buy again.

b33k34

What are the ‘right’ options for these – I gave up trying to buy any at the back of last summer as nothing seemed to be in stock (of Kryptotal rears or Wild Enduro). But I need to get some in.

I didn’t have issues with carcasses cracking on Wild Enduros when I used them (at least not before I’d worn out the treads). But then they messed with the compounds and I can’t remember/work out what’s needed.

Tough carcasses (but not full DH). Soft but not super-soft. Not insane weight

Kryptotal rear – seems like Enduro casing and endurance compound would be best but dont’ think it exists. Enduro 29 soft never seems to be in stock

Wild Enduro – what’s the casing/compound/race-competition thing to look for – is it Gum X competition that’s the best balance? (their website seems impossible to get a proper comparison https://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/tyres/michelin-wild-enduro-rear-racing-line)

chakaping

Michelin’s standard Wild Enduro carcass is a really good balance of toughness/weight/feel IMO.

I know what you mean about the compounds though, depending on who you listen to the Gum-X or the Magi-X is the softer one.

Having tried both, I think the Magi-X is softer but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Was riding yesterday and setting some PRs with the Wild Enduro Front Magi-X anyway, so it’s growing on me.

b33k34

And race vs competition?

chakaping

Search me.

:D

I assume I’ve only ridden the Competition ones. I think the Race are a heavier carcass and the DH soft compound?

kiwijohn

I was a big fan of Wild Enduros, but due to availability & price rises, I’ve been through Pirellis & now on Continentals.
    Argotal front & Kryptotal rear in Endurance last winter. Changed to Kryptotal Endurance front & Xynotal Enduro set rear this summer. Just put the Argotal back on the front because I wasn’t impressed with the Kryptotal front.
    I will say the new Continentals are super robust casings for bombing rock gardens. I’ll never ride a Maxxis again.

b33k34

@kiwijohn

Wild Enduros are available again at £40-45 whereas Conti 29 Enduro rear Kryptotal seem upwards of £60 if you can even find them in stock.

Older Apex grade (Enduro) casing tyres wept sealant – are you having that issue with the new ones?

kiwijohn

I never had an issue with 3 sets of Wild Enduros weeping sealant, they all wore out naturally.
    27.5 on my Rune are a bit easier to find.
    CRC has just delivered me a pair of Michelin Wild AM2’s for this winter.

b33k34

@kiwijohn

no – Conti’s wept for me, Wild Enduros were fine (though I found the rear too slidy. Plan was to try a part-worn front on the back but then changed the 27.5 bike for a 29er so never happened )

kiwijohn

Conti’s never wept for me (Stans)
    The Wild Enduro rear never lasted very long, but a part worn front was great on the back for winter.

Northwind

Michelin’s website is amazing, you go on it and read all the descriptions and you come away knowing less than you did at the start :)

I was thinking of picking up some other contis to add to my argotal but the answer to that just now is “wait til they’re in stock” which is a shame.

joebristol

I can’t decide if the gum-x or magi-x front tyre is better. I have gumx in 650b and magix in 29er. I only bought the latter as gum x 29er front WE’s haven’t been available for some time.

If you twist the knobs 🥴 the gumx one definitely feels like softer rubber. Yet I think the magix seems to dig in more on most cornering – I haven’t found a time when it seems more slippery than the gumx. Maybe I’m not good enough to notice the subtle difference 🤷‍♂️

mahalo

Has anyone tried the wild enduro front on the rear? I’ve been using the front and rear for a while and have a few part worn sets knocking about. I just fitted a pair tonight for the e-bike and like a numpty I have installed two Fronts! But after the initial face palm the front on the rear started to look pretty mean! I’m sure it won’t last five minutes but I think I’ll give it a bash…

kelvin

Well… it’ll make you stronger!

chakaping

Has anyone tried the wild enduro front on the rear?

Yeah, I’ve ridden a Gum X one on the rear in winter – works well in mud.

That was on a normal bike and it wasn’t massively more draggy than a rear – so you’ll be fine on an eeb.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.