Home Forums Chat Forum Messenger bag Recommendations

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Messenger bag Recommendations
  • ElShalimo

I’m looking for a messenger bag big enough for a 14″ laptop, some work docs, book, cables, headphones etc and preferably with a bottle holder. Ideally weatherproof<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> too with a comfy shoulder strap for when I overload it. (Mostly used on the train not on a bike).</span>

There’s so many to choose from! Any recommendations??

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My plain black Timbuk2 has been around the world a fair few times as hand luggage, is then used as laptop bag/day bag/beach bag/whatever while I’m away. It’s also used on the bike, or slung in the back of the car as a kit bag. It’s had a tough life!

After ten plus years, it’s only just starting to show the slightest signs of wear.
    No bottle holder, sadly, but I use Camelbak Podium bottles for travel, and they don’t leak anyway!

wombat

Using the traditional principle of recommend what you own…Osprey Flapjack.

Mine is 5 years old and has be used/abused on pretty much a daily basis and is still looking good.

Comfy to carry, has a waist strap for stability on the bike, zipped bottle pocket which will take a 500ml Sigg. Padded laptop section etc, etc….

ElShalimo

Sadly Osprey don’t make the Flapjack anymore

☹️

wombat

Sad times :-(

footflaps

Shame Howies don’t make the Chevron anymore, mine is 10+ years old now and still going strong..

Clong
    Free Member

Bagaboo bags. Used everyday commuting to work for 12-13 years. Still holding up well

franksinatra

My plain black Timbuk2 has been around the world a fair few times as hand luggage, is then used as laptop bag/day bag/beach bag/whatever while I’m away. It’s also used on the bike, or slung in the back of the car as a kit bag. It’s had a tough life!

After ten plus years, it’s only just starting to show the slightest signs of wear.
    No bottle holder, sadly, but I use Camelbak Podium bottles for travel, and they don’t leak anyway!

Same story here but mine is closer to 25 years old. I purchased it pre internet days by phoning San Francisco and ordering over the phone. My mum wasn’t impressed as I had to wake her up in the middle of the night to give them her credit card details over the phone!

It is a tardis of a bag which seems to just shrink to a nice size when empty. It has seem a remarkable amount of use and abuse and no notable wear or damage.

tobsters
    Free Member

I have a Mission Workshop one that is comfortable, really tough and smart… not cheap but would recommend.

dissonance

One of the crumpler range? Had one for about 10 years now and still generally good condition.
    Or a Bagaboo.

Whydot

I’ve had a Patagonia Half Mass for 10 years – it’s been brilliant. Still looks near enough new.

And a lifetime guarantee, if that sort of thing matters?

jimdubleyou

One of the crumpler range? Had one for about 10 years now and still generally good condition.

I had (might still have somewhere) a Cheesy Disco which sadly frayed at a few seams and generally looked a bit tired after a 3-4 years of being my do-everything bag.

I guess I could send it back under the 5 year warranty – but I can’t find the receipt :( and it’s proably beyond the 5 years now.

nicko74

As CFH says: Timbuk2 if you need something you can carry on the bike, into meetings and as carry-on luggage. It’s versatile, very functional, and smart enough.
    If it’s mainly for going on the bike, I’d say Crumpler – they’re bulletproof, waterproof and in the past mine has even stood up to me sliding down the road on it (unplanned…). They do look very “bikey” though, so not ideal if you need to take it to meetings.

Sandwich

I’ve a Polaris Aquanought that’s doing ok. Also cheap enough (currently £22) that you’ll get 2 or 3 for the same price of one of the brands above.

IHN

I’ve got a Timbuk2 which has been my work bag (on and off a bike) for ages, and a large Bagaboo, which is actually pretty huge

The lining is starting to fray in the Timbuk2 and if and when it actually dies, I’d get a similar sized Bagaboo. Not much in it though, but a) I prefer the strap on the Bagaboo; it’s seatbelt-type strapping, rather than the coarser webbing of the Timbuk2 and b) they’re not lined, so the lining can’t fray…

richardk
    Free Member

Chrome Mini Metro bag here.  10+ years of faultless operation as work laptop bag, hand luggage bag etc.  Room for large laptop, cables, and 2 bottles.  Incredibly comfortable on the bike as well.

bruk

I’d vote Timbuk2 as well. Got a Stork as a daddy bag when the 1st man bag fell apart. 2 kids and about 8 years later it still looks great. Long since moved on from bottles, nappies and other such stuff to laptop, paperwork and lunch.

Alpha1653

I’ve just picked up a second hand crumpler super boomer xl off eBay for £25. It’s virtually spotless, feels mega robust and can carry a ton of stuff. There were several others available so I’d take a look. They seem cheaper than the Timbuk2 equivalent as well.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a classic Timbuk2 (bought 2005) that is still going strong, and a two year old Crumpler. The Timbuk2 is *far* more comfortable.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Playing Timbuk2 bingo, I got mine in 1992. Still going strong!

tall_martin

I’ve had a crumpler messenger bag since 2004.

Been perfect for shopping, hand luggage and all sorts all this time. I think it’s called a very busy man :-)

kiwijohn

I do like my Timbuk2, but canvas isn’t the best choice for a custom one.

ElShalimo

Thanks everyone

I’ve been away for the weekend so will look at these latter

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for Mission Workshop.

iain1775
    Free Member

I have an unused Lezyne one I could quite easily sell
    One of those things bought on a whim with intention of commuting by bike but then never used
    https://road.cc/content/review/12479-lezyne-messenger-caddy-bag

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Messenger bag Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.