Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Merino – does it shrink or stretch?
  • wl
    Free Member

So long since I bought any I can’t remember – do merino base layers tend to shrink, stretch, or hold their size and shape well over time?  Talking about Madison Isolers in particular, if that helps. Ta.

onewheelgood

All of my merino kit has been pretty stable, whether Endura, IsoBaa, Nukeproof or DLX

wwaswas

Those on-one merino cardi’s were renowned for not shrinking in the wash.

13thfloormonk

No shrinkage here, Endura and Icebreaker in general.

I had a North Face chunky merino jumper shrink a little, but it might have gone through a warmer wash, or god forbid even been tumble drier or something, I’m not sure. It’s pretty much just my bothy jumper now so the fact it is almost a tank top makes no difference 😀

I try to minimise how often I wash merino anyway, think my Endura Baa-Baas got very thin and threadbare due to the amount I washed them.

IHN

It depends. Like all wool, it will tend to shrink in the wash as the fibres interknit when they’re wet. However, certain treatments/weaves/other materials in the weave will mitigate/prevent this.

I have merino stuff that’s been great, and one top (a PX one) that really shrank and pretty much has the consistency of felt…

sarawak
    Free Member

Not in my experience, and I’ve been wearing it for 30 years doing a variety of activities.

One of the best value for money bits of clothing that you can buy.

DezB
    Free Member

30deg wash, no conditioner and it holds it’s shape ok for me.

Some merino kit does get very holey if that’s of interest. 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Howies base layers have been completely stable washed at 40 degrees.  Also my Howies polo shirt. As was the Endura retro wool top.

I’ve had loads of lightweight merino jumpers from Uniqlo that have all been fine

However, I had a thicker Howies merino sweater that shrunk to a solid unwearable lump that would have been too small for a 5 year old after a single 40C wash.

drnosh
    Free Member

Still wearing my On-One merino jersey. Must be 12 years old, or more. Plenty of life left in it.

orangespyderman

My wife tumble dried one of mine and it shrunk.  Otherwise, pretty stable on all the other stuff.

edhornby

Occasionally some will lose their softness and feel tight ,my old baabaa did this

epicyclo

None of my IceBreaker stuff has shrunk.

wallop

I’ve had Ice Breaker and Endura baa baa be fairly stable with no shrinkage. But I’ve had a Findra top shrink on me and – top marks to Findra – they replaced it.

guandax
    Free Member

Those on-one merino cardi’s were renowned for not shrinking in the wash.

Mine died recently. Haven’t managed to find a good replacement yet. Still in mourning.

maccruiskeen

‘Depends’ is the best answer – I’ve had stuff shrink quite a lot – or change shape such as a Lidl/Aldi t-shirt  that gradually shorter and wider with each wash .

I’ve got a Patagonia one that started the day fine the goes all weird and saggy with the cuffs flaring like wizard’s sleeves (no sniggering at the back)  by the end of the day and then returns to shape when you wash it. And I’ve had a decathlon one that I’ve worn a lot and washed a lot, often wrong temperature and has been perfectly behaved for years

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Merino – does it shrink or stretch?’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.