Home Forums Bike Forum Mavic xa pro carbon wheels

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mavic xa pro carbon wheels
  • jsync

has anyone got long term experience of these wheels? They seem to be pretty well reviewed but there is some mention of excessive noise. How are they? Are they durable?

Thanks

jsync

Anyone?

snotrag

I cannot comment on the rims, but I have the Alloy versions which I beleive use the same hubs – faultless – bought on a whim in 27.5 a few years back when they came out, and I was that impressed I bought another set in 29″ flavour.

They came well packaged, with the right freehub options, all the adapters etc to change the hub ends over etc, really nice quality tubeless valve and tape etc, which does add value.

Having previously been a Hope die-hard, I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve hammered the alloy ones for 2 years, not a single tweak needed, still straight as a die.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I bought a set (29”) on a whim last year for my XC bike when CRC had them half price and with a years Paypal interest free credit.
    I’d read the report on stw and they had been very impressed so I thought I’d take a punt.
    I have to say that I agree with the review and they are very nice wheels and “really make the trails come alive”.
    Acceleration is crisp and responsive and noticeably more so than the Mavic Crossmax Pro wheels they replaced and the other wheels
    On my other bikes.
    No problems mechanically and they scrub up reasonably well too.
    They’re on a Tallboy LTc so I guess more “trail” than “XC” but I ride them just as hard as my other bikes. In fact I have some PB’s on Strava on this bike for descents in the dales rather than my other heavier bikes.
    Would happily recommend especially if you can get a good deal.
    Cheers
    Steve

kimbers

+1 for the alloy xa elits

after a year of abuse, Ive got a bit of play in the rear hub and a slight wobble in the front, but im quite hard on wheels so thats good going in my book

jsync

Thanks for the replies, they sound pretty good – as do the alloy ones which are also a reasonable weight.

How about the noise though? Are they constantly pinging?

fatgit
    Free Member

Mine don’t 👍

jsync

If you’re username is accurate then thanks very reassuring 👍

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Used to be. Not so much anymore but still 14stone fully kitted up
    Cheers

jsync

👍🏻

Alex

I’ve had the XA Carbons (27.5s) for a year. They were less than half price which got me over the worry they might be a bit narrow.

Not had any issues, no pinging I can really remember, everything still true and hubs smooth. They do feel very fast spinning up and definitely make the bike a bit more sprightly than the DTs/Hope they replaced.

The tyres they come with are rubbish but otherwise recommended.

solarider
    Free Member

I have a set and love them. Smooth rolling, good quality hubs, light robust rims.

The only downside is the lack of quick freehub pick up. They aren’t fast.

They have recently changed the freehub to something like a DT double ratchet, but hasn’t improved things greatly.

jsync

So, still thinking about these. How would they fair with regular trips down concrete steps? Ok or do they need babying? For reference my old / current sets have been wtb team frequency i25 and old arch ex.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Not sure about concrete steps as you don’t come across them often in the Dales and NYM 🤔
    However have used mine in all sorts of natural terrain in these areas and the Lakes and various trail centres (Hamsterley, Dalby and Whinlatter) with lots of drops, rock steps etc and definitely don’t baby them or hold back in my riding.
    As I stated above I have some PBs on Strava on these wheels on descents in these same areas and this compares against my other bikes (Trek Slash and Evil Following).
    I considered doing the Ardrock on them this year and the only change I was going to make was to put a Maxxis DD tyre on the rear.
    Don’t know what more to say really.
    Cheers
    Steve

jsync

Ok, I think I’m sold – thanks all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mavic xa pro carbon wheels’ is closed to new replies.