Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Mature Cheddar Cheese that isnt crumbly.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s bloody shite isn’t it. I want some crumbling when I bite into my cheese. I don’t want a soggy over processed lump Of yellow flavored crap. That’s just **** wrong.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

where did you buy it from? apparently we shouldn’t buy stuff from tesco. frankly i can’t be arsed to drive to cheddar…i have to pay to get back into Wales

davidjones15
    Free Member

You want crumbly cheese, buy Cheshire. Cheddar isn’t supposed to crumble stoopid, something to do with the fat content, I believe.

saleem
    Free Member

Montgomery cheddar.

sam42
    Free Member

Colliers is nice.. lovely calcium lactate crystals!

CountZero

A really mature Cheddar will break up a bit when you cut it, and should really bite yer tongue! Got some at the moment, bland it ain’t!

I_Ache
    Free Member

As CountZero says it should crumble a little. The stuff that we have is like a block of babybel.

FWIW its from Sainsburys, and I think its Pilgrims Choice. We won’t be having it again.

saleem
    Free Member

Why would you buy cheese from a supermarket when you know it’s only going to be shit.

rideronthestorm
    Free Member

Strong cheddar makes my face sweat. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

theotherjonv

real cheddar isn’t necessarily sharp and doesn’t bite your tongue. Get to a proper cheesemongers and get some Montgomery’s, or if you must have that tang some Keen’s.

Like the whisky thread from a night ago, these are the single malt versions of the Bells blended stuff that the supermarkets sell.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Montgomerys and Keens both sell to supermarkets…

BenjiM

Barbers cheddar is worth a look (Nantwich supreme champion 2011 and runner up this year) My personal favourite however is Quickes, Although it’s not a PDO cheddar it is very good. You may struggle to find it in some supermarkets however. Made by a great bunch of folks in Devon. I’m a cheese grader by the way 😆

zilog6128

FWIW its from Sainsburys, and I think its Pilgrims Choice. We won’t be having it again.

yep, I made that mistake a few weeks ago. It is shite. The best “big block” cheese I’ve found is Seriously Strong. Got a bit of bite/crumble to it. I buy that sort of cheese for cookin & get proper cheese for munchin.

binners

I buy that sort of cheese for cookin & get proper cheese for munchin.

Amen to that

Decent Chedder should make your teeth water. Whether it crumbles or not is a secondary consideration. You got any decent farmers markets locally? If so, get yourself down there to cater for your more cracker-based cheese needs

PiknMix
    Free Member

Barnstormer, mmmmmm this thread is going to cost me about £45! I need to go and get petrol then drive blinking miles to the farm shop to buy said Barnstormer.

thepurist

Get to a proper cheesemongers and get some Montgomery’s, or if you must have that tang some Keen’s.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3KBuQHHKx0[/video]

scaredypants

Strong cheddar makes my face sweat. Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me?

reacting to tyramine, I’d guess
    (you’re not taking any medications, are you ?)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

frankly i can’t be arsed to drive to cheddar

Mail order it.

Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company

BenjiM

Mail order it.

Cheddar Gorge Cheese Company

We smoke their cheese for them. Lovely folks are John and Katherine.

29erKeith
    Free Member

M and S Cornish Cruncher, real bite and a bit of crumble tooo hmmmm
    /Thread 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We smoke their cheese for them

I’m lucky enough to live fairly close (Horrington, nr Wells), and buy whenever I’m passing.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Montys, Lincolnshire poacher (not technically cheddar due to culture temps), isle of mull and marksbury (for real firey cheddar) get on the net and order some from a decent cheesemongers, they send em next day and trust me its fine delivery wise.

My personal favourite is old Winchester, got a sea spray slight crunch to it, think hint of Parmesan to its texture

Torminalis
    Free Member

theotherjonv

Montgomerys and Keens both sell to supermarkets…

true, but you know what i mean – proper cheese from a cheesemonger or off the deli in a quality supermarket vs big square lumps of vacuum packed mass produced stuff.

Don’t get me wrong, some of that is distinctly edible, and is perfect to put in a sandwich or on a jacket potato. But just sitting with a piece of decent ‘artisan’ cheese, a knife, and cutting little bits off and letting the flavour fill your mouth before swallowing it is a different game to having a nice strong cheese sandwich.

drlex
    Free Member

+1 to Barber’s
    Slightly OT, my youngest daughter attends a school with a number of scions of the local cheesemakers; playground arguments have occurred along the lines of whose parents make the better cheddar…

GrahamS

We smoke their cheese for them.

I tried smoking cheese… but I couldn’t get it to light.

(coat please)

toby1

But just sitting with a piece of decent ‘artisan’ cheese

Quote of the week!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Mature Cheddar Cheese that isnt crumbly.’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM