• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mark Hollis
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Sadly has left us. But left us this behind, together with other beautiful and amazing stuff.

RIP-

cooie

Shit news 🙁

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Been following this on FB and Twitter, still nothing official but gathering pace
    Truly gutted, I regularly listen to their albums and his solo one

CountZero

What! That’s such sad news, I’m devastated. Talk Talk have been a constant presence ever since I saw them perform ‘Today’ on David Essex’ Showcase, and it’s been my dearest wish that they would reform and make more wonderful music.
    RIP the enigmatic Mr Hollis, my sincerest thoughts are with his family and friends.
    😢

thepurist

Aw crap.

jamj1974

Brilliant music. Talk Talk had a huge impact on me when I was 15… Still play the music regularly now.

RIP Mark.

kelvin

Shit.

Laughing Stock and the solo album are lazy Sunday mornings for me.

Pigface
    Free Member

Unheralded genius a big loss RIP

Waderider
    Free Member

Such a shame.

(Sorry couldn’t help it).

Talk Talk could well be my favourite band of the eighties. Sorry to hear this.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, that is a shocker. Only 64, but had retired from making music 20 years ago. Leaves a legacy of utter classics behind. Will get the headphones on right now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

RIP.

CountZero

Just reading the NME article on Flipboard, and there’s a string of Twitter posts about Mark, including one very telling quote from him:

“Before you play two notes, learn how to play one note, y’know?
    And don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it.”

Listening to Talk Talk’s albums in sequence, and then Mark’s only solo album, it’s clear he was practicing what he preached, there was almost as much empty space as there was music at the end, the ultimate example of less is more, perhaps?

@DezB
    – the best way to listen, really.
    There’s a superb live concert recording of the band, I think in Switzerland, possibly Montrose? Fantastic musicianship, I regret even more never managing to see them live.
    Apparently, the recording process of Laughing Stock was practically all improvisation, it could never have been played live, because he could never remember what he’d done to get the finished results.

avdave2

Spirit of Eden is still one of my favourite albums, utterly brilliant and timeless. Transports me right back to a particular time in a particular place and brings the past right into the present.

“Now that it’s over
    Rest your head”

RIP

Merak

Spirit of Eden is a masterpiece and a fitting epitaph.

jate
    Free Member

Terrible news. Talk Talk were a hugely underrated band whose later albums in particular took music to places it had never been before and the Mark Hollis solo album was equally good. I was gutted when he retired from music and had always hoped he would make a return (although he did record some music for Boss).

fatmax

Yes, immediate reaction was to put on Spirit of Eden 😢😕
    RIP Mark Hollis

fasthaggis

🙁 Big part of my travelling life,thousands of miles listening to Talk Talk ,and yes indead jate,very underrated.

TiRed

Of all the 80’s bands, Talk Talk were by far the most influential on me. Art, not pop music. Colour of Spring is a masterpiece, the texture is just wonderful and the production magnificent. I still play it regularly.

Thank you Mark.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mark Hollis’ is closed to new replies.