Home Forums Chat Forum Mansfield’ish. Pubs and towns and cafes to visit.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mansfield’ish. Pubs and towns and cafes to visit.
  • rockhopper70

Off this weekend to Sherwood, not an area I’m familiar with so looking for a decent Sunday lunch pub, nice little cafes for a cooked brekkie and bits and bobs to visit.

Thanks

munrobiker
    Free Member

Avoid Mansfield itself like the plague. And Clipstone.

Mansfield is a shit hole, you need to head towards Matlock to start seeing some nicer scenery and pubs/cafes. Don’t stop in Alfreton, that’s a dump too. That said, Matlock is nothing special, keep going lol

There are reasonably pleasant parts of countryside and villages around Notts though, just not Mansfield

ratherbeintobago

Only thing I’ve got to add here is that one of my uni mates worked in Mansfield and reckoned she saw one of those home made painted bedsheet banners on a roundabout that said “Happy 30th Birthday Grandma”

fasthaggis

When I saw this thread pop up,I was going to post..

Stay safe,check the exits,and make sure your laces are tight.

Then I thought ,that’s a bit harsh,maybe it’s improved over the years.

Clearly not. ;-)

Lolz

seriousrikk

Some food options here – both the opposite side of Sherwood Pines to Mansfield…

Limes cafe near Blidworth is very popular and for good reason – decent breakfast grub for not a huge amount of money.

Sunday roast – I’d be getting booked in to The Lion in Farnsfield and booking is pretty much essential.

Something different? Still in Farnsfield you have The Rustic Crust for some proper italian pizza.

Things to visit? Rufford Abbey is pretty nice for a mooch around or Clumber Park a bit further north.

mildred

The Lion at Farnsfield does a great Sunday dinner but you’ll need to book in advance (other meals are available).

Southwell Garden Centre is a very popular cyclist cafe and has a bewildering cake & savouries selection.

Doddington Hall (not too far away) has a Giant store a lot like Rutland cycles & a great but spendy farm shop & cafe. Their pickled egg Scotch egg coated in salt & vinegar crisps instead of breadcrumbs is worth the journey… how can something so wrong be so right?

Sherwood pines will be hellish after all this rain, but they used to do a decent sausage roll & the bike shop used to be good (I haven’t been for a while).

Limes cafe on the A614 at Bilsthorpe used to do a good breakfast.

As folk have said, Mansfield itself is just awful.. However, I am hearing a lot of good things about the Gharib express Lebanese on Leeming street; it used to be a good Italian and has recently reopened as Lebanese.

malgrey
    Free Member

Mansfield born and bred. They’re not wrong.

By Sherwood, do you mean you’re staying out Edwinstowe way? Pleasant enough little place, Forest Lodge is fine if not memorable unless its gone downhill. My parents live in Ollerton now (not much to recommend there either, but the Italian in the old village, Bella Vita, is nice enough and that bit of the village is quite nice. New Ollerton isn’t.)
    Down the road in Wellow, both pubs, the Red Lion and the Maypole, have a decent reputation locally these days but I haven’t eaten in either for years so can’t confirm. On the way there, The Ollerton House is my folks’ local. Lovely people, but basic food, though the carvery on a Sunday is excellent value in a function-type room at the back.

My folks tend to head further east or north for nice pub lunches: Dovecote at Laxton has always been decent. The village is interesting with motte and bailey and still using the ancient traditional open field system.

Probably out of obvious range, but had a great lunch with my parents at The Apron Cafe, Gamston Airport, near Retford recently. Its a restaurant rather than a cafe, right by the small airstrip.

As for things to do: Clumber Park is a good NT estate, lovely lake, plenty of land to wander. At Edwinstowe, and the remaining bit of Sherwood Forest itself, plan a walk to take in the main woodland, but also Budby Common (RSPB these days) which is heathland and unusual for this area. Sherwood Pines is good for easy trail riding (I guess I should mention this on this forum!) but a bit sterile for walking. There are some “downhill” zones, with even the odd jump. Newark is a nice proper market town. Welbeck has an interesting gallery, the Harley Foundation.

slowoldman

I looked at the title and thought “this should be interesting”. Turned out much as I expected. I’ve not been out that way for many, many years (I went to grammar school in Worksop) and it doesn’t sound like it’s changed much.

Clumber Park is worth a visit (mine were enforced on school cross country runs so my memories are mixed). Creswell Crags is worth a look for archeology and in the village itself is the “Model Village”. No not a miniature, but an idea of what decent social housing could be.

Of course if the area has any fame to speak of, it’s coal mining. I haven’t visited either (since I grew up in a pit village anyway) but the mining museum in Mansfield or Pleasley Pit visitor centre could be worth a trip. Especially topical as the UK has just closed it’s last coal fired power station.

rone

Dog and Duck is probably best food in that area right next to Sherwood Pines – Old Clipstone unless you’re a Sat Bains type eater. But you won’t get much change from £350 from him.

Rustic Crust in Farnsfied is a really great authentic pizza place and a nice village.

Greendale next best quite a bit further out towards Worksop but in the nice village of Cuckney. (I Used to live there.)

You could always head towards Worksop and go to the Welbeck Farm Shop and Harley Cafe.

There are loads of fab bridleways between Sherwood Pines / Sherwood Forest / Welbeck estate.

Welbeck also have holiday lets near the farm shop but they’re not cheap. They are very nice though at High Holbeck.

https://www.welbeck.co.uk/experience/stay/holiday-cottages

Welbeck Estate and Creswell Craggs are now ‘connected’ by walking routes. That would be a good spot to hangout. And you can pick up the Robin Hood Way from Welbeck Estate to get to Clumber Park. It’s probably 5 miles but a grear ride or walk.

If you want something rustic then Harrisons Brewery is a great Bistro serving fantastic food in Retford. Also quite a nice small Town.

Welbeck also have holiday lets near the farm shop but they’re not cheap. They are very nice though at High Holbeck.

https://www.welbeck.co.uk/experience/stay/holiday-cottages

As was said both Edwinstowe and Southwell are nice villages with good walking and riding from the door.

There are loads of fantastic areas in North Notts but Mansfield is a hole and I’m born and bred from this area.

If you want to see an area decimated by collapse of an industry but still has great countryside – we are it.

I live in Worksop if you need a dig out with owt.

Oh in Worksop the best coffee in the area and probably most of the country actually is “Piccolos” opposite the cinema.

https://piccolos.coffee/

(I did his video back in the pandemic)

He’s a true artisanal coffee expert especially in the light roast stuff. You an get toast and cakes to eat. (Home made sourdough.) Not far from Welbeck Estate.  But Worksop is generally a bit like Mansfield unfortunately.  Maybe a bit nicer due to it’s locality to Clumber and Sherwood.

rone

Double posts in that. Soz. Forget to cut them.

jonwe
    Free Member

Another vote for the lion and the rustic crust at farnsfield. Once you’re headed that way, the wagon at halam was excellent last time i went (a couple of years ago). A little further and southwell is a fine town and the minster a very impressive church if you fancy a bit of norman architecture.

pisco

Additional votes for The Rustic Crust and the Wagon at Halam.

Limes Cafe is great, but don’t expect quaint or fancy; it’s a greasy spoon through and through, where the lady calls you ‘Love’ or ‘Duck’ as she brings you your (Richmond sausage type) breakfast cob. Perfect for after a ride at Pines, not so much for a first date.

Speaking of Pines, yes, they did do a fine sausage roll, but everything has changed lately and they seem 50% smaller yet more expensive.

All Mine (Cake by the Lake) in Maythorne (a beautiful setting and all gluten free if that’s your thing) It’s cycle friendly (ie they have racks and a pump) as its right off the old railway line trail.

Also Little Brunette Bakery in Southwell: more on the artisan side, it has limited seating but everything is delicious. It’s not open on Sundays.

Maxey’s Farm Shop on the A617 just before Hockerton is pretty good. It’s more like a posh supermarket with a large cafe.

MoreCashThanDash

All been said really, Mansfield and the surrounding former pit villages feel like they’ve never recovered from the pit closures, and while the majority of folk are lovely, there’s a significant minority who are not.

Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Hall maybe, Southwell Minster, Papplewick Pumping Station depending on interests.

Harley Foundation/estate has a very posh cafe and farm shop

rockhopper70

Thanks all, some good suggestions here. The lion is already looking busy for Sunday.

We are east of Mansfield, looks midway between Centre Parcs and Mansfield .  Likely won’t venture into Mansfield itself tho..

jeffl

For Sunday pub lunch I’d say that The Devonshire at Upper Langwith is a good shout, https://thedevonshire.info/ Around a 25 minute drive from Sherwood Pines. Went there about 6 months ago with the parents as a birthday treat for them. But yeah based on the rain we’ve had locally (Chesterfield) I wouldn’t be cycling around Sherwood Pines.

rone

Devonshire is a good one too. Right on t’Derbyshire border.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mrs FD was brought up around that area and the in-laws still live in Edwinstowe.

In all the near 20 yrs I have known Mrs FD have we ever found some great to eat, maybe its just her parents choices but nothing really great around there from what I can see

rone

There’s plenty – there just a bit spread out.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Woodberry in Farnsfield is also nice.

And will second All mine cakes by the lake.

And Maxeys do very nice pork pies and sausage rolls.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.