Home Forums Bike Forum Mam tor descents

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mam tor descents
  • cp

I’ve got a rare opportunity to ride tonight and I’ll be near Castleton, so going for a late evening ride.

Pondering routes off Mam Tor – what would your favoured option be to drop into Edale –

Rushup Edge/Chapel Gate

Either of the Hollins Cross descents

The descent which seems to go straight down Cold Side to Greenlands.

scaled
    Free Member

Go up mam tor, come down Cavedale, rinse and repeat :D

It’s mega in the dark as there’s not normally any walkers to laugh at you

fathomer

Personal opinion is down to Greenlans from Hollins Cross if dropping in to Edale. Never ridden Chaple Gate down as it was sanitiased by DCC a few years ago.

Cavedales great but brings you out on the wrong side of the hill!

nbt

Of those 4, “the bobsleight run” descent to greenlands  probably edges it slightly, though the two from mam nick are not far off

Not descended Chapel Gate in years, they rebuilt it so it was ok as a climb but crap as a descent. Might have weathered in by now.

Why not do greenlands – climb back up to hollins cross, then down to back tor farm (towards nether booth)

carlos
    Free Member

Why not do greenlands – climb back up to hollins cross, then down to back tor farm (towards nether booth)

^^^ This.

Pook

all tidied and sculpted by Peak District MTB )

Pook

except chapel gate

jekkyl

The greenlands descent is mint. Watch out for the little channels hidden by grass that’ll trap your wheel.

Could combine with a bit of cheek up to Lose Hill to summit and turn back around. Isn’t that high after Hollins Cross.

Pieface

If you’re fit you should be able to do all 3, however they’re best from west to east, e.g. Greenlands best, then Hollins Cross to Edale, then Hollins cross to near Ollerbrook. The bridleawy dropping in to Castleton is not bad either.

cp

Thanks folks, some good feedback and route ideas amended.  Loop has formed :)

Castleton -> Broken up road -> Mam tor -> Greenlands -> Hollins Cross -> Castleton -> UP Pin Dale -> DOWN Cave Dale

:)

tonto
    Free Member

Forget pindale, just go up the road

jekkyl

Lovely evening for it. I wish I was in Castleton this evening 😩

You might consider going up the slabs to mam tor instead of dropping into Castleton. Take the bridleway to the right and ride on the road to the top of Cavedale.

My pick would be drop from hollins cross to Edale via the farm, up to hope cross and down roman Road or brinks. You can’t go wrong really. Have fun.

Pook
    AlexSimon

Up Pindale is currently very tricky due to it being marbles on sand.
    Anything’s better than a road though!
    Cavedale must be amazing at the moment – I need to fit that into a ride this week.

My fav of the Hollins Cross descents is to go down the steps then turn left towards Greenlands.

I had the KOM at one point, haven’t checked for a while, but given it was on an 80mm hardtail don’t expect to still have it!

Edit: Still 10th – quite pleased with that!

jekkyl

How’d you get on cp?

cp

My golden opportunity got cancelled :(

sofaboy73
    Free Member

from mam tor to Edale t’s a toss up between greenlands and the bridle way on the far right of the map that actually goes from hollins cross towards nether booth – personally I think that edges it – more bang for your buck

EDIT if you’re talking about the descent from the cross to greenlands, deff towards nether booth. The one from the road to greenlands before you climb up to the fort is lots of fun, but not as good as the other. However if you go hollins cross, towards greenlands and accidentally end up on the foot path….

jekkyl

Cancelled? I smell the involvement of a wife! Couldn’t you have placated her with promises of domestic servitude at a later date?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mam tor descents’ is closed to new replies.