Home Forums Bike Forum Magura MT5 bleed kit

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Magura MT5 bleed kit
  • beer247
    Free Member

So, i was going to replace my Code RSC with a set of Formula Cura 2, but cannot find any stock (i’m Dublin based).

Bike Discount have MT5 brake sets for €160, after searching on here and the reading a few online reviews, there’s generally a consensus to upgrade the lever blades to the one-finger design and the pads to the performance type.

After factoring this in with the cost of the brakes and new rotors, the price is still pretty reasonable.

I want to get a bleed kit, but all i can find is the pro kit that only has one syringe and a bottle/container – has anyone used this with success? All the bleed videos show two syringes…

There’s also a mini-service/purge kit that does have syringes, but the hose doesn’t look like it has the screw in connection for the attaching to the caliper?!

gilesmartin81

I got this kit from Epic Bleed Solutions, I have not used it yet, but their other kits have been great. I think they are also a dealer for Magura now to.

Bleed Kit for Magura Brakes & Mineral Oil

swan0mighty
    Free Member

I have a bleed kit for them you can have for £5 plus postage? Only used once and includes the fluid

Think it’s the epic bleed solutions one

toby

+1 on the Epic Bleed Solutions kits. I used one when fitting Maguras.

The spacer blocks for the 4-pot calipers seem to be extra, well worth not risking getting oil all over your pads IMO.

luket

I’ve got the MT Trail Sports. They have the one finger levers and are I think cheaper, but are 4 pot front, 2 pot rear. They came with the necessary bleed block for either caliper. I know its different but might save you a chunk of cash if you’re otherwise buying individual brakes plus lever blades, if you’re not fixed on a 4 pot rear.

monkeyboyjc

I bought my mt5’s from R2 for about £130 a couple of weeks ago, official bleed kit from Merlin was £20 ( *edit looks like they’ve sold out though)….

https://r2-bike.com/MAGURA-MT5-Scheibenbremse-Set

Great brakes – the standard pads are pretty rubbish though, replace with the MT7 style pads when you can.

Oh and I got the one finger blades from lord gun fro £25 each – so around £200 for the full set with one finger levers.

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/magura-mt5-hc-one-finger-brake-lever-blade

(Only one left now)

Iooking back I could have got a set of MT7’s for €229 iirc from R2 but the vat and duty would put it in the £250+ category for very similar brakes.

chrismac

Any syringe with a narrow enough nozzle will work. The lever syringe isn’t screwed in because of the plastic threads. One word of warning the plastic bolt that goes into the bleed port on the lever is made of cheese and is the easiest thing in the world to chew the torx head up

pickle
    Free Member

I could never get my MT5s right after bleeding.
    Worked perfectly once bled then 10 minutes into a ride they’d pull to the bars.

Sold them in the end

luket

replace with the MT7 style pads when you can

@monkeyboyjc
    do I understand correctly that the difference is just one piece vs two piece pads? Why are the two piece ones better?

I have bought one piece ones, but in a compound I know, as my spares, although I am for now still on the originals.

hainman
    Free Member

R2 have a set of Formula Cura 4 pots in the sale for £100 an end
    Buy two pairs and your quids in
    My Magura were brutal to keep bled
    Always doing a lever purge to get the air out
    Eventually sold them and bought a cheap set of 520 4 pot callipers to pair to my SLX levers
    I even tried the Shigura experiment

monkeyboyjc

do I understand correctly that the difference is just one piece vs two piece pads? Why are the two piece ones better?

Yep, essentially one piece / two piece… I managed to contaminate the one piece pads on the rear set that came with the brakes when fitting and replaced with some dirt cheap 2 piece MT7 pads off eBay (£7 for two pairs), my rear brake has a much much better feel and power than the original front pads. Pretty much every review I’ve rear or you tubed said buy mt5’s but use mt7 pads for a similar feel and power of the mt7

*Edit – it’s was these from Amazon, not eBay and £7 an end…

MEXITAL 2 pairs Sintered Disc Brake Pads fit for Magura MT5 MT5E MT7 MT Trail Typ 8.1 SH901 M5 M7 MXTS10-2 https://amzn.eu/d/exYabg6

beer247
    Free Member

I had my heart set on Cura 2s as i’ve spent far too long faffing with 4-pot brakes!

The only reason i was considering the 4-pot MT5s was because of the price, but when you add in the lever/pad upgrade its makes it slightly more expensive than the Cura 4s from R2!

swanny853

Don’t feel rushed to change the levers. I have both on different bikes and actually think I prefer the longer ones for feel. The shorter ones do look better though!

luket

my rear brake has a much much better feel and power than the original front pads. Pretty much every review I’ve rear or you tubed said buy mt5’s but use mt7 pads for a similar feel and power of the mt7

Curious. I don’t understand why it should make such a difference but I’m interested to give the 2 piece pads a try at some point. Compared with Shimano I already like the feel and power of mine with the MT5 pads in, so I don’t feel like I have a problem that needs solving.

luket

I had my heart set on Cura 2s as i’ve spent far too long faffing with 4-pot brakes!

The only reason i was considering the 4-pot MT5s was because of the price, but when you add in the lever/pad upgrade its makes it slightly more expensive than the Cura 4s from R2!

MT Trail Sports – 4 pot front, 2 pot rear, 1 finger levers, cheaper…

monkeyboyjc

Don’t forget that you’ll have to pay Vat/duty/charges on the cura 4 set at €250 so approx another £50 or so – mt5’s are under the £135 limit – I didn’t have any additional charges on mine. This was another reason I didn’t get mtu’s, although you could prob get two individual brakes from R2 under the duty limit, but have to pay for postage twice.

luket

mt5’s are under the £135 limit – I didn’t have any additional charges on mine. This was another reason I didn’t get mtu’s, although you could prob get two individual brakes from R2 under the duty limit, but have to pay for postage twice.

Same as you I fell the right side of a brexit cock up for once. So I ordered more.

5plusn8
    Free Member

R2? que???

beer247
    Free Member

Based in Dublin so don’t need to worry about the old VAT/Import duty kerfuffle from our German or French friends!

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member

pickle
    Free Member

For me, I always thought the lack of a bleed nipple instead of a screw in plug a massive design flaw.

Having to remove the bleed syringe at the caliper then fit the screw allows air in surely.

welshfarmer

I have just fitted some Maguras to my Rise. Due to internal routing and shortening I had to bleed the rear. However, I realised my reverb syringes that I use for bleeding Shimano brakes were too small (M5 not M6). No problem, I have just ordered one of these from Ebay to replace on of the Reverb ends

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353941588147?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Ddaa7b366449e4b20afa1bb77b008fe54%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D353941588147%26itm%3D353941588147%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DMAGURA&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A5d7cd0a2-e420-11ec-a0fb-729857ba8b03%7Cparentrq%3A2f78446a1810a120be09e93affff0b2e%7Ciid%3A14

However, I obviously couldn’t wait to get the bit delivered so I simply stuck an M6 bolt in my lathe and drilled a hole down the centre and then made a small shoulder to stick in the tube on a syringe. Job jobbed. I also drilled a hole in an old syringe for the lever end. All works fine.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.