Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • M62 over the Pennines
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Anyone up there recently / today? I'm supposed to be heading from Hull to Manchester for a gig tonight, but the forecast doesn't look too great

uplink
    Free Member

It's usually kept clear – if you get caught in a blizzard it can quickly settle though

dooosuk
    Free Member

Was fine on Sunday after the snow in Leeds area on Sunday morning.

brant
    Free Member

I heard from a bloke in the petrol station that it's going to dump this afternoon, but M62 is well maintained and should be OK.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I Live in Littleborough can see the top of Windy Hill from my house, its only got the old snow from a few days ago on it at the moment. They are very good at keeping it open, normally not a problem. If it is closed it will make all the radio travel reports.

Wouldn't worry about it myself just take the normal winter things. Good boots, warm coat, gloves etc. Food drink etc.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cools, we're probably not gonna die if we head out then.

uplink
    Free Member

Quick tip

Keep to the road, Stay off the moors 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I came over this morning at 7am and it was 100% clear. Usually is no matter what the weather is doing…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It's not the friggin Alps 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Yes, but I came from Leeds to Hudds on the day it really started to snow before Christmas. It was late at night and there were only 2 grey lines in the thickening snow on the inside lane all the way back. By the time I pulled off 2 sections had been shut (the highest bits) completely.
    Yes it is very well maintained and priority given to clearing it, but if the snow (and fog/rain etc) comes quick and fast there's naff all that can be done. It's just too high up over the moors.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

But it is the highest motorway in England (or is it the UK?) Simon!
    I ride up around the summit part of the M62 quite a lot & when the weather closes in it can go wrong quite quickly up there. Very exposed to the weather.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But it is the highest motorway in England (or is it the UK?) Simon!

yes, I've just found it rises to a dizzying 440m, the same height as Garburn 🙂 Woo hoo, I love snow 🙂 However, I don't drive, so what would I know ?

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah I know it's not the Alps, BUT like Robdob says it can get very dodgy very quick. I'm in two minds at the moment, it's not exactly an essential journey 😉

hora
    Free Member

I dont see what the problem is? It'll be fine. What you do have to worry about is other drivers. Ive never had a problem with that stretch nor any of my family. Its other drivers not adjusting their speed that worries me.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

FMC – from the weather reports and what we've had in Rochdale the last few days i reckon you'll be fine. If it does snow at all i doubt it will be bad enough for them to close the M62 around J23 (summit point) so just leave enough time for your journey.

At 1223ft (according to the sign) it's not particularly high up, just very exposed to weather coming from either side of the Pennines. Add to that the deep cutting at Windy Hill and you can get snow drifting at those points. I like riding up there because it's so bleak – and i can almost see my house! 😆

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Are you sure the sign doesn't say 1221 ft 😉

Ah, back in the day, 78/9 got stuck travelling from Hull to Manc on the M62. Fortunately they had gaps in the barriers back then and a few of us dug our way through and turned around. Had a great night in Leeds instead.

When I were a lad…

🙂

hora
    Free Member

Back in the war.. 😉

speaker2animals

That's fine Hora but unfortunately you can have no control over other drivers and what they do. Therefore if you have concerns and the journey isn't essential what you can do is not make the journey.

hora
    Free Member

1961Bikie I have the same fears when the rain comes down really heavily or a blustery wet night.

Approaching Saddleworth Jct22 where the lanes merge from 4 to 1 – I have seen some horrific driving and a fair few accidents on that barrier-less spot. Funnily not once in snowy conditions…

white101

I came over this afternoon, there and back to Manchester and they were gritting heavily from Leeds to the M60, didn't stop **** flying through the 50 zones.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

(1961Bikie I have the same fears when the rain comes down really heavily or a blustery wet night.

Approaching Saddleworth Jct22 where the lanes merge from 4 to 1 – I have seen some horrific driving and a fair few accidents on that barrier-less spot. Funnily not once in snowy conditions…)

Been in a crash there myself.

Travel that route every morning and night and it was clear at 6pm.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘M62 over the Pennines’ is closed to new replies.