Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Lyme disease: UK urban area surveyed and pathogens discovered
  • cinnamon_girl

Survey carried out in Salisbury, Wiltshire. I’ve requested a full copy of the paper.

Ticks in UK – ticks found to carry Borrelia s.l and Borrelia Miyamotoi in peri-urban and urban areas.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sunday afternoon read. Thanks.

milky1980
    Free Member

Despite me having been treated for Lyme Disease last year and loads of other cases in the UK in areas I frequent my doctor still insists you can’t get Lyme in the UK 😕

cinnamon_girl

milky1980 – they’re under orders I suspect. Reckon my (Scottish) GP has been “warned off” by the partners from any further discussions about Lyme. GP went from being interested and helpful, offering tests etc to, er, the opposite.

noltae
    Free Member

Thanks for link Op – Somewhat of a worry undoubtedly – been hearing more and more of late regarding tick – bourne pathogens. . Definitely a worry – a few years back on a four day hike through Wester Ross I was bitten twice – Massive bloody critters ! I’ve watched a couple of Youtube documentaries sincd on the dangers – Not good . Had no idea as to of the severity of symptoms –

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Sorry, I must have my head in the sand. I thought Lyme disease was understood by the medical world – is there some disagrement on diagnosis and treatment?

cinnamon_girl

Disagreement on existence.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Disagreement on relevant number of species of Borellia, diagnosis, symptons (perhaps), test results, treatment, co-infections, number of cases…

CDC in the USA just recently upped their estimate of cass x 10.

DrP

Disagreement on existence.

Or not.

Fairly commonly used GP resource.

DrP

Edit:

Around 1000-3000 cases are estimated to occur each year in the UK (1).

In 2008 there were 813 laboratory confirmed cases detected in England and Wales (incidence of 1.52 per 100,000 total population per year)

from these cases 91 were acquired overseas
    two-thirds of indigenously-acquired infections were seen in residents from the southern counties of England
    areas with highest rate of infection include – New Forest, Salisbury Plain, Exmoor, the South Downs, parts of Wiltshire and Berkshire and the Thetford Forest (2).
    To demonstrate that GP notebook, a fairly commonly used GP resource, was aware of these areas.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Fwiw, outdoorlook.co.uk might have some of the craghoppers Nosilife infinity scarves.

These scarves are big enough to go round your neck and under your armpits.

Ticks will tend to crawl across your clothes in search of the hot areas…groin, back of knees and armpits.

The shop might still accept the code hellofiver
    for orders over £50.

outofbreath
    Free Member

To demonstrate that GP notebook, a fairly commonly used GP resource, was aware of these areas.

Yup, when I called NHS direct to find out how to remove a tick the guy on the end of the line was totally aware of Lymes, and told me what to look out for in a measured and non-hysterical way.

Full disclosure: I don’t know if the hippocratic oath applies to ticks but his advice on what to do to the tick after removal was deffo not in the long term interests of the tick and I cannot report that it lived to die of old age. Malpractice?

outofbreath
    Free Member

PS: Shouldn’t “born” have an e on the end?

CountZero

PS: Shouldn’t “born” have an e on the end?

Not in this context – tick-born is the correct spelling. You get Winterbourne as a place name, in the context of a stream or river that dries out in summer, returns in winter when the weather tends to be wetter. But not always, like now.

milky1980
    Free Member

drP – my doc dismissed it out of hand, asked for a second opinion and that doctor took it seriously as he’s an outdoor person too. Really depends on who you see.

outofbreath
    Free Member

drP – my doc dismissed it out of hand

What specifically did he dismiss? Sure it’s not a misunderstanding?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

That’s interesting: the study found B. burgdorferi, garinni, valaisiana and miyyamotoi. I wonder if they looked for potential co-infections.

milky1980
    Free Member

Conversations went roughly:

Doc 1:
    “I’ve been bitten by a few ticks in the last fortnight and have flu-like symptoms and a rash on one of the bite marks, worried it might be something like Lyme?”
    “No, you won’t get Lyme in the UK. It’s something else.”

Doc 2:
    “I’ve been bitten by a few ticks in the last fortnight and have flu-like symptoms and a rash on one of the bite marks, worried it might be something like Lyme?”
    (examines rash and does a few other checks) “Could be possible, you’ve got a lot of the symptoms. I’ll get a blood sample done and in the meantime take these pills for a fortnight”

A month later, after a second round of blood tests he said it was Lyme 😥

DrP

Ah, the ol’ “bad doc-good doc” routine..

Doc 2 sounds like most Doctors should, really.

In a similar vain, we had a gardener who was rubbish and never turned up. I fired him. Gardener 2 was much better.

DrP

Drac

That’s because gardeners are under orders.

DrP

You better damn believe it…!

DrP

jambalaya
    Free Member

DrP it’s a legitimate point that some Doctors behave like all knowing Gods. One issue we have is that in our system it can be difficult to get a second opinion.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, definitely a long linky! Thanks for this slowoldgit, there’s a lot of reading for sure.

The impression I’m getting is that co-infections can be overlooked.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

In a similar vain, we had a gardener who was rubbish and never turned up. I fired him. Gardener 2 was much better.

DrP

Who fires Doc1?

Or does he keep going until he kills lots of people, kills himself, or inappropriately touches staff or patients or decides he’s capped out his pension pot?

Just wait to they privatise GP’s………..

snaps
    Free Member

Just been a feature on Westcountry ITV news about Lyme – they mentioned THIS website.

cinnamon_girl

At last the full text of this paper ‘Ticks and Borrelia in urban and peri-urban green space habitats in a city in Southern England’ has been made available. It relates to Salisbury, Wiltshire.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/311862697_Ticks_and_Borrelia_in_urban_and_peri-urban_green_space_habitats_in_a_city_in_southern_England

cinnamon_girl

Lyme disease UK charities with plenty of info:

http://lymediseaseuk.com/
    https://caudwelllyme.com/

Home

qwerty
    Free Member

Dr’s have gardeners? Is that out sourcing their bed-side manner?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Lyme disease: UK urban area surveyed and pathogens discovered’ is closed to new replies.