Home Forums Chat Forum Lunar Eclipse viewing and photography

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lunar Eclipse viewing and photography
  • fettling
    Free Member

Excited to see we have an opportunity for a lunar eclipse next week. Having tried to photograph it years ago and failed I was hoping to get some tips this time.
    I have an app on my phone that has allowed me to work out where in the sky it will be, now I need to decide best location. I am in Farnborough so there are a couple of landmarks which may work in the skyline… failing that I would consider driving somewhere else if the weather is clear.
    How do I find out how far above the horizon it will be?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

No idea about getting decent photos but some good info here..
    https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a friend who chases Aurora around Tas, basically a good weather app, tripod and the darkest place you can find!! Anything up in the sky will probably need a longer exposure so stability is key

geck0

More information here about where and when. Just add your location into the eclipse section top right and away you go.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/

CraigW
    Free Member

The moon is actually moving quite fast, so you don’t want to do too long exposure. It needs a fairly fast shutter speed to get it sharp, especially if using a telephoto lens.

If you want something in the foreground, maybe worth doing a separate exposure for that, and stacking afterwards.

fettling
    Free Member

Last time I had two problems 340mm lens on crop sensor was not enough to get a frame filling shot. Should have tried for something in the foreground instead.
    Also I practiced on a full moon which turned out to be way brighter than the blood moon. Subsequently my ISO was set too low for a non blurry exposure (the moon was moving too fast).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lunar Eclipse viewing and photography’ is closed to new replies.