Home Forums Bike Forum Long trousers and chunky knee pads

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Long trousers and chunky knee pads
  • munkiemagik
    Free Member

I’m after some long trousers for riding. And spotted some Fox Rangers at a somewhat swallowable price. But I’ve heard that Fox are pretty slim fitting with their tapered ankle trousers and may have issues with the bigger burlier pads like my Leatt 3df 6.0’s in size medium.

Anyone with any experience or recommendations?
    I am pretty short 28/29 inseam and currently comfortably wearing fox 32 waist shorts. it’s been mentioned Fox tend to run shorter in the leg which is why I was looking in that direction. ​

Would anyone know if the Defenders are slightly more accomodating with the burlier knee pads or if I could even get away with just the Rangers? I saw a YouTube review of the Rangers where the chap was saying they can be quite tightly stretched over the fox knee pads with the hard shell.

The long pants are for full face days hence the desire for use with burly knee pads. I haven’t quite got to the point of enough riding hours and confidence where I’m ready to take protection levels down a notch with some lighter pads.

Thanks

snotrag

I’ve got fox Flexairs and they easily fit over my big kneepads- its the ankles and calf that are slimmed right in, not the knees.

I also have short legs for my height and they fit me perfectly.

scc999

I’ve got Fox Rangers and can get my Raceface Ambush kneepads under them. Both are mediums.
    2 issues – 1 minor, one less minor.
    1) They’re tight around the kneepad. This can mean they get dragged down a bit which isn’t a big deal, but it DOEs lead onto the next issue…
    2) The pad is wearing the trouser fabric over the knee quite noticeably. Not sure how long they will last before the knees are no longer waterproof.
    When that happens I’ll look at patching / taping the knees but I wont be getting another pair that are so snug on the knee when I finally replace these.

That issue aside, they are great and have really convinced me that well fitting trousers for crappy weather / conditions are the way forward.

Si

munkiemagik
    Free Member

@scc999

Thanks thats really helpful. I think the Leatt 3df 6.0 are a tad thicker than your Raceface Ambush so they might struggle a bit more under the Fox Rangers.

So its actually pulling the material over the knees apart?

scc999

@munkiemagik

It’s wearing through the first layer of the material as a result of the pads rubbing on the trousers as I pedal and the material being pulled tight onto the pads, rather than pulling anything apart.

Si

militantmandy
    Free Member

My Rangers have masses of room around the knee, but I too am a shortarse. I also use Endura Singletrack which seem to have plenty of knee room. Heavier than the Rangers though.

johnjn2000

Get yourself a Dirtlj romper suit, you will never be wet or dirty again. You will also never have to worry about exposing your butt crack to anyone either :-)

zerocool

Or have any problems with the opposite sex bothering you 😜

Dirty Rides Apparel are supposed to be a bit more spacious.

johnjn2000

You would be surprised, there are some people with weird kinks out there. I often get chased……………………

doomanic

I’ve seen several members of the (much) fairer sex wearing Dirtsuits, it’s not exactly an ice breaker but you certainly shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Long trousers and chunky knee pads’ is closed to new replies.