Home Forums Bike Forum Long travel Enduro/ mini downhill bike

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Long travel Enduro/ mini downhill bike
  • the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

I am moving to gap, south France in the summer and am going to sell my Zesty 327 and orange 224 for something more suited to the ski lifts as well as being able to ride up the hills.
    I’ve seen the cube 180 strive and would consider an Enduro. Unfortunately I like the 650 wheels but the bike has to be able to do jumps as I’m fond of them! I think I’ll end up going second hand as I think my budget will be 1500-2000.
    What other bikes out there are to consider?
    Thanks
    Paul

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get in touch with Chakaping; he’s got a nice Patriot for sale.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Thanks but after a 650

Milkie
    Free Member

Genius LT. I have an older one and love it as you can change the travel from 180>120mm and for XC days drop it down to 140F/120R. A few guides were loving theirs, but never sure if they just say that hoping you’ll buy an ex-demo one from them.

marko75
    Free Member

REIGN!

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s pretty much exactly what the reign is.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Orange Alpine, low maintenance, high performance. They’re pretty much designed to be abused in the mountains for a season. Bearings are easy to get and change, fast as a fast man’s fast thing.

kimbers

Still any process 153s on sale , mine has been superb as a mini DH/ enduro bike, I sold my DH bike not long after getting it as the was just no point !

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/kona-process-153-2015.html

beagle
    Free Member

New Knolly Delirium would be my first choice in ur situ. Or a carbon nomad….

Edit.. Apologies… Clearly didn’t read your question in its entirety! If be looking at an Orange/650b heckler/or searching for one of those dscounted process models.

colournoise

Alpine 160 with some bigger forks thrown on.

Who needs a warranty anyway?

2POC
    the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

The reign sounds good. Haven’t really looked in to them. As for the Jekyll I’d be a little sceptical of the longevity riding lift places all the time.
    An alpine could be good as I do like my 224 if it’s anything similar!

Thanks all

Mintyjim

http://destock-cycle.fr/vtt-giant-reign-275-2-ltd-charcoal-c2x17492235

It’s a no brainer at this price! €2000 = £1480 or so.

chakaping

If you insist on not buying my Patriot (which is very inconsiderate, I must say), the Reign is a great choice.

It’s very solid and DH-biased but the frame is lighter and has better geometry than the aluminium Capra (for example).

If you have £2k to spend, you could upgrade that model to 11sp XT and stick some decent tyres on it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

That Reign is cheap! I nearly got one in October, but went with a Stumpjumper instead. They were around £2200 back then.

tomaso
    Free Member

That is what I got mine for from Deutschland! The exchange rate is still very favourable.

Euro 2015 ones came with a Reverb too. There is nothing amazing about the spec beyond the forks shock and seatpost but it all works very well.

They really romp downhill, I just need bigger balls upgrade.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Second hand Covert, Nukeprof Mega, LaPierre Spicy … so many choices

FWIW my 2012 Covert replaced my 2006 Reign. Reign’s have been good bikes dor a long time

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Alpine 160 is definitely a good shout. Tough as old boots and easy maintenance means you can hammer it and not worry too much.

GT Sanction could also be another option; I know there were some very cheap deals on frames a little while back, but not sure if they are still around.

Banshee Rune maybe?

Knolly? http://shore-lines.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=79

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I’d be keen on an NS Snabb.

julians
    Free Member

Loads of options in that space, some more below that I dont think have been mentioned yet, at the top end of the budget though.

– YT capra
    – GT sanction
    – Orbea rallon
    – Commencal meta v4

Liteville 601 would be a good bet, but way out of price range, same goes for various nicolais.

I’d be tempted to give the GT sanction a go based on what you want it for, a lot of the reviews reckoned it was just a bit too biased towards the downhill side of things, but that sounds like just what you want.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

Thanks, the reign is cheap!

No recommendations or previous rides of the fritzz?

The trek slash is also in the running but again ‘only’ 160 odd travel…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d look for a good condition second hand Orange Alpine if it were me. Simple; straight forward; if you like your 224 then you should get on with it; single pivot so it’ll jump well etc.

Wouldn’t bother with a dropper post since they’re heavy; potentially unreliable; not really necessary if you’re just cycling up a hill to ride back down (where you’ll no doubt want to slam your saddle anyway).

Do Marzocchi make any suitable 650B forks? something oil/coil like they used to? That’d be my choice; less servicing.

There’ll be others with may more experience, but I’ve found whenever I’ve been to the alps, it’s always been the fancy stuff that’s ended up braking/needed serviced regularly.

julians
    Free Member

Wow that process 167 is a bargain, i know its not 650b ,but that really does look perfect for the job ,get it bough op.

the_chosen_llama
    Free Member

I don’t mind doing maintenance to get something that would potentially have better performance, I think whatever the bike is ill be going for 36s mainly due to the burlier feel.

The kona looks awesome if the wheels were a little bigger.

Speeder

The Kona looks awesome if the wheels were a little bigger.

REALLY? Will it make that much difference to your riding?

honourablegeorge

Speeder – Me

mber

REALLY? Will it make that much difference to your riding?

Probably not, but will make a difference in getting spares and upgrades, at the rate manufacturers are jettisoning 26″

v666ern
    Free Member

julians – Member

Wow that process 167 is a bargain, i know its not 650b ,but that really does look perfect for the job ,get it bough op.

thank Claire – wish I had the NEED for it
    http://www.bikebargains.co.uk/
    updated daily :D

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Long travel Enduro/ mini downhill bike’ is closed to new replies.