Home Forums Bike Forum Long reach enduro bike recommendations please! (Reach >490mm (L))

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Long reach enduro bike recommendations please! (Reach >490mm (L))
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I want a new FS (let’s say ‘Enduro’) bike, 160mm ish travel. Probably 29er but I’m flexible. I don’t want it to be shorter than what I’ve currently got. Currently riding a 2015 Canyon Strive L, ‘race’ geometry which gives a fairly healthy 485mm reach. I like it, and I’m definitely a fan of the longer top tube.

There seem to be a lot of options around the 475mm mark for a large size frame – Capra, Orbea Rallon, Radon, Airdrop, Transition Sentinel, current Canyon Strive model, Nukeproof. Most of the conventional brands are shorter still.

Obviously a lot of XL bikes come with longer reach but that’s often paired with a much higher standover. I’m 6’1, 32″ inseam, I.e. my legs aren’t super long – I’m definitely more torso than leg so I don’t want this.

So I either want an L with a long reach, or XL with long-ish reach but exceptional standover.

Options I’ve found:
    Bird AM9 in L (Current front runner)
    Geometron ($$$)
    Pole ($$$)

What does STW recommend?

P.S. I found this link which has a geometry comparison table. But it doesn’t include any properly long bikes. D’Oh. https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/best-enduro-mountain-bikes-326155

ta11pau1

YT Jeffsy or Capra, both have short seat tubes even in the XXL size. You’d be on an XL (5 sizes vs the normal 4).

The Jeffsy XL 29 has 490 reach and 460 seat tube, 29er is 150/150mm but lots have put the forks to 160mm.

chakaping

You could get on a L or XL Orange Stage 6.

But they are also $$$ so that may not be very helpful.

I think you could comfortably fit on the XL in this (475mm seat tube)…
    https://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/fullsuspension/swoop-al/swoop-al-80-2021/

That’s some deal and it rides well (I have the large), but it’s very full enduro.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Privateer 161 looks good, reasonable price too.

dc1988

Norco’s latest bikes have pretty low standover for a given reach. The Sight would probably fit what you’re looking for.

joefm

that privateer for the money looks good!

nealeb4zod
    Free Member

https://geometrygeeks.bike/is good for the geometry comparisons, you can add bikes if they are missing.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im 6-3 long arms and 35″ legs im all sorts of lanky and ride an XL Megatower with a 40mm stem and a reach of 489mm. A 170 dropper helps too and ive found im not overly stretched. plus its good for 160mm rear and up to 180mm Front

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Just get the AM9 😉

alan1977
    Free Member

was gonna suggest a bird, my Aeris 145 medium long comes in at 480 reach so i’m assuming the longer travel bikes also will as they size up, the standover is incredibly low too

brant
    Free Member

I’m actually wanting to size down a few of my bikes now as I think they’re getting a bit too big and aren’t as fun.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-ben-cathros-santa-cruz-v10-the-privateer-walk-the-talk.html

StuF

No one suggested the new Cotic RocketMAX, reach 490 on the large and 515 on the xl.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/rocketMAX

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m actually wanting to size down a few of my bikes now as I think they’re getting a bit too big and aren’t as fun.

Yeah, I went through the whole ‘flickable’ phase though and always had bikes that were too small for me. My current bike has been a revelation for me – much more fun and certainly faster. I guess I have gone from one extreme to the other and definitely prefer longer but perhaps there is a limit to longer = better.

The 2015 Strive was actually pretty ahead of its time – the geometry is almost bang on trend for 2020. The main downside is that it’s not all-day comfortable like something shorter travel could be – I suspect that applies to all enduro bikes really. But nearly all my rides are sub 2hr blasts so that’s not an issue for me. If only the Shapeshifter actually worked, it’d be perfect…

Some good recommendations here, thanks.

Oh, and to add to the challenge, it must have space for a bottle. So the Capra is out. I’d have bought one in 2015 if only it had bottle mounts. They STILL haven’t learnt. #NoBagNoLimits

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Oh, and to add to the challenge, it must have space for a bottle. So the Capra is out. I’d have bought one in 2015 if only it had bottle mounts. They STILL haven’t learnt. #NoBagNoLimits

The AM9 is a bit of struggle if you have a piggy back or coil shock, although there are bodges to make it work.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I will say that these days simply saying “enduro bike” seems to not be enough anymore to define what one wants. The category seem to be splitting further into mini DH dedicated enduro racers (Mega 290, Madonna, Privateer 161 etc) and more versatile “quiver killer” all-rounders (AM9, Sentinel V2, Sight, Ripmo…). Both these fields have options with pretty long reaches. It might be worth for you to define what you want/need.
    I for one like the Privateer but wouldn’t buy one as it seems to be too specialized at one job for me.

This said, I can’t recommend the AM9 enough. Incredible climber, incredible descender, amazing service from Bird

chrisdw
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy?? 490mm in a large size.

Superficial
    Free Member

Right, errr, confession time. Despite what I’d said ^^^, my bike isn’t as long as I thought. I was just looking at the geometry charts and the figure I had in my head (485mm) appears to be a mistake published on a single geometry chart which is incorrect. Everywhere else says 468mm.

This is good news for me. I have loads of options for similar-length bikes.

As you were…

sprocker
    Free Member

XL bronson, 489mm reach, 460mm seatube and low standover. Available in ali for not bad money.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Speaking of Cathro he could do videos (#content) with Pete Scullion. Now I’m not saying he should dress in a schoolboys outfit with red hat…….but it would be fandabidozi like!

Wookster

Look at the Pole Evolink. Long reach and low stand over. Really fun bike.

Bike 1

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’ve just received my Aeris 145 size large frame, had a quick sit on it yesterday but still waiting on a few bits to finish off. Sizing feels spot on. I’m 6’1 with a 33 inseam. They’re going cheap at the mo as well so can really go to town on personal build spec.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

New AM9 frames are warranty covered for 160mm forks, I have an older ML and it fits a 600ml bottle with a side load cage/DI2 adaptor and coil piggyback. XL should have better bottle room..

Shackleton
    Free Member

Pipedream full moxie?

nickgti
    Free Member

Test riding the bird AM9 is easy and I would recommend it, I test rode the long 500mm reach model and thought it was a pig. Climbs where a struggle so much so I had my mate swap bikes with me to confirm it wasn’t just me.
    I felt the rear end hung up on everything it could do, and it didn’t carry speed well at all for a 29’er. With the massive reach it was a very conscious weight shift to weight the front end to get any kind of grip from the front tyre.
    Point it down something very steep and weight the front and it plowed through anything but everywhere else it was a pig!

Ibis Ripmo AF low stand over for the XL model, I’m only 6ft and test rode the XL Rallon perfect fit.
    New Atherton trail bike to consider as well

maxtorque

A second hand Mondy that’s around 3 years old would fit the bill. I’m 6.1 and ride a 2016 L sized Dune, and the reach is spot on

ajt123
    Free Member

I had a similar experience with the Am9.

It really is a sled rather than an all rounder.

I put it down to the 29er tyres, as I had a go on the Aeris 145 and it was much poppier.

You’d need to be going quick over rough to get anything out of it.

I don’t think that’s a criticism. It is a winch and descend bike, but one to be aware of.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Long reach enduro bike recommendations please! (Reach >490mm (L))’ is closed to new replies.