• This topic has 52 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Lockdown Haircuts / Styles
  • curzon
    Free Member

So, All the barbers and hair dressers are shut now. We are into Week 2 of what could be countless weeks lockdown. So my question is let it a) grow wild, B) shave it off with clippers, c) Entrust the Mrs or children with scissors?

I fancied option a) myself. I’ve always had sensible smart haircuts, ex military, and have had to maintain business like appearance since. I’m Furloughed from next week so appearance is no longer an issue. I picutured myself with long glowing hipster style locks with beard to match. But the reallity is now, mid fifties, balding crown and hair growing out wild in all directions around a bald crown. I’m startting to look more like Worzel Gummage, or a mad monk.

Option c) could be great for short lived lockdown family entertainment!

What is the STW massive doing?

Duggan

I’m nearing the point where I’m going to ask my wife to cut it. She’s in no way qualified and I imagine it will look awful.

I would definitely just shave it all off if I could but I’m quite skinny and so I know I will look like I’ve just emerged from the operating theatre.

I have to do the odd Zoom conference for work so feel like I need to make at least some effort. On the plus side I hate going to the Barbers so if my wife does an alright job I will never ever have to go again I suppose.

lcj

Still working here, and lots of meetings over Skype and similar. If it this goes on I shall be aiming for a mullet. Business at the front, party at back. A quick flick of the ponytail over my shoulder every so often should amuse people (me).

bob_summers

Number one all over as usual, but I did grow a tache for the first time ever.
    Then discovered you can’t blow sweat out of your eyes on the turbo through a moustache so off it came.

13thfloormonk

Facing same dilemma, I used to like to let it grow out but now it just looks crap and thin and shows my incipient male pattern baldness! Now it only looks good (to me…) if I get it cut monthly which is unacceptable, I want low maintenance!

Maybe a good opportunity to experiment with a number 1 all over, face the receding hairline head on…

Hohum
    Free Member

I’m letting it grow out and I am also going to try and grow a beard for the first time in my life.

I fancy a bit of the Wolverine look!

MarkyG82

Option ‘a’ for me I think. Takes me back to college days of hours at the beach waiting for wind to go kitesurfing.

peekay

I’m aiming for the full ‘Exotic Joe’ combo of bleached mullet and handlebar moustache.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I use to shave mine all off so was considering doing that again..but given the exceptional circumstances, fact I can’t go anywhere, and don’t need to look smart, I’m thinking of trialing a Mohawk..

Especially considering my mum isn’t around to complain at me..

grahamt1980

Got clippers delivered yesterday, along with a no. 12. Hoping that will work but going to ask the oh to do the blending if it needs it

Blackflag
    Free Member

I started having a no3 all over years ago due to receding / thinning hair. But no gonna grow it all again for the full on Leonard Rossiter look.

tjagain

I took all mine off with my clippers – 4 all over

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m seeing a lot of friends shaving their hair. I think it’s a stress reaction/control in uncertain environment thing

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m currently sporting a very convincing Robert Wagner.

grahamt1980

Can someone please do a skullet while they are working towards shaving their heads.
    got to be worth a laugh

tewit
    Free Member

Not had mine cut since a week before Christmas 😬. I hate waiting in the barbers if there’s more than two waiting. I was desperate for a cut at the end of February but caught a cold so stayed away and then all this kicked off.
    Think I’ll have to be brave and let the wife shave the back and sides. Quite like it long on top, and I’ve always got a hat.😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a haricut and clipped my beard off in Febuary, Think I might go for the handlebar and/or massive sideburns look. Both will piss off the OH 🤣

Caher

Robert Smith/Sideshow Bob was looking out of the mirror at me this morning. I’ll cut it when I have to wear my helmet on top if my head.

funkmasterp

I’m already bald and have a beard so might attempt a combover, Kingpin style!

hotstuff
    Free Member

Wife’s cut mine for years now, not sure what number it would be , just short everywhere.
    Funny thing is her’s looks exactly the same but it costs £30 at the hairdressers and apparently it wouldn’t be the same if I did it with the clippers. Might get a chance yet as things progress, it’s only hair and it’ll grow back again.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I’m awaiting my scissors to arive from the bay. Then the fun begins trying the cut the wifes sheep like hair.

lunge

Mine will be chopped all off with the clippers for the first time in years. I’ve been threatening to do this for years in all honesty.
    The beard however is getting grown out.

ferrals
    Free Member

I did threaten not to trim my beard till we are out of lockdown.

I cut my own hair anyway, every time I do I’m tempted to cut a Mohican in. Might give it a crack fora couple of days

DezB
    Free Member
    Mugboo

If you are going thin on top just buy some clippers and whip it off. If not just let it grow.

If you insist on cutting it, please watch some Youtube videos about texturising as this will soften any mistakes you make. Lots of texture and some hair product can hide all sorts of issues.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The covid mohawk for me.. think miller from the expanse

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

It’s all fun and games for you lads that can grow hair……

papamountain
    Free Member

Got some clippers from amazon last week. I’m scared to do the no3 all over. Might start off with a no6 and work my way down from there. Have to do it myself too. Can’t be that hard?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Normally get a 1.5 all over every two weeks and have for years .
    Currently using my beard trimmer on the second shortest setting every week to try and keep it short and tidy.
    No one has even said anything so I guess it must look ok?
    Either that or no one cares 🤷‍♂️
    Cheers
    Steve

w00dster

Normally a zero all over (face and head with the same razor twice a week).
    I’m now at the fuzzy tennis ball look as decided not to shave it. It’s been shaven since I joined the military at 17, 30 years ago. Wife and kids think I look like a mess, beard might have to come off tomorrow.

Simon

This thread needs photos.

gozarch
    Free Member

5 1/2 weeks since I had a haircut and it’s driving me mad already. It’s a pretty short style, so looks untidy (at least to me). I’ll be borrowing husband’s clippers and going for maybe no.3 all over.
    I am female, if that matters. Done it before, but not for a long time. Internet connection is so poor that video calls for work are out, so what the hell.

Caher

What clippers are being recommended and does hair need to be wet? Asking for a hairy friend.

nickdavies

Not a beard trimmer. Thats what i used, apparently the steps are a little bit too big for a blend.

My hair is now the equivalent of a 10-50 cassette, does the job but not much of a seamless fade. A week later and i now have stripes. And as for trying to get the back in a mirror.. what wizadry is that?!

As soon as they announce another 3 weeks lockdown its going to be the same length all over.

wardee
    Free Member

Trimmed mine with clippers a couple of days ago. Don’t use a guard as I never seem to get an even finish with the guard and it looks marginally less bad. Haven’t shaved for a couple of days either.

Walking through the city centre earlier today to get shopping with rucksack on my back, a random bloke approached me and advised that the homeless charity across the road were open and I should go and get a free sandwich.

maccruiskeen

Walking through the city centre earlier today to get shopping with rucksack on my back, a random bloke approached me and advised that the homeless charity across the road were open and I should go and get a free sandwich

Nailed it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What clippers are being recommended and does hair need to be wet? Asking for a hairy friend.

Plug in, not battery ones. Beyond that, one up from the cheapest in argos.

Dry, but dampen it and brush it straight first if it’s curly to avoid it cutting it into wedge shapes over each curl. If it’s wet like you’ve just showered and towel dried it then it’ll clog the blades and stick to your scalp and not get cut evenly.

Nailed it.

My usual criteria is am I offered drugs in broad daylight.

My hair is now the equivalent of a 10-50 cassette, does the job but not much of a seamless fade. A week later and i now have stripes. And as for trying to get the back in a mirror.. what wizadry is that?!

The few times I’ve had success, it’s been to work from the back and sides (4 ish) and taper at the top, then go back and do the top with a 6. Doing the 6 first all over doesn’t work for me.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What clippers are being recommended and does hair need to be wet

Wahl. Mine are >20yrs old and going strong. I will qualify that with “followed a cheap pair from Argos” before I fully committed to zero hair as a lifestyle choice. They lasted about six cuts before dying.

Wet? Bone dry for close crops. Might benefit from a misting for longer grades.

trumpton
    Free Member

I do not want to shave mine off as it’s a good shape at the moment being textured on top and grade 1 back and sides.managed to get a cut just before lockdown.probably take to wearing a baseball cap if it gets to long

nickc

I learned to cut my own long ago, I normally do a 2 with a 1 to zero guard fade at the back and sides Once you get the hang of swapping left and right hands, it’s quite meditative.

Top tips if you are doing it yourself. If you use a mirror to see the back of your head, keep the mirror still and move your head, not the other way around.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Lockdown Haircuts / Styles’ is closed to new replies.