Home Forums Bike Forum Leaky Shimano Brakes……..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leaky Shimano Brakes……..
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Having spotted all the other threads I realise this is apparently a bit of a thing, has anyone ever managed to fix a set and are the newer models similarly afflicted?  I just bought some XT M8000s, so I’m hoping they’re not going to go the same way!

I have a set of Saints that are absolutely mega, except one of the pistons is pissing fluid.  I don’t need Saints really, but I don’t really want to throw out a perfectly decent set and go all spendy either.

There are some seals on eBay, is it likely that I can get the dodgy piston out, replace the seal with one of these unofficial bits of rubber, and then not have it carry on leaking.

Is there anyone that sells the calipers at sensible prices, given a new one might just leak on me again?

Is there another SHimano Caliper I could put on that will work and is known not to leak?
    <div id=”delugesiphon-modal-gabdloknkpdefdpkkibplcfnkngbidim”></div>

dartdude
    Free Member

This won’t help though anyone who buys new Shimanos are asking for trouble considering it’s a well known issue of theirs years ago.

My bad though would deffo wack a Magura calliper or even TRP.

For ultra stopping prowess.

I run predominantly Magura and TRP. Are awesome plus do not use dot fluid so no harm to paintwork if the inevitable happens

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve had ebay seals work on shimano brakes perfectly well. For the price its worth giving it a go.

Getting the piston out can be tricky. You need to find a way to only let the leaky one protrude and then pop out. Usually compressed air or fluid already in the system. I have a little block made by 76 projects, or problem solvers or someone similar that allows only one piaton out at a time.

Shimano used to be the easy choice, they were cheap to buy, worked acceptably and were cheap to replace.

Now they’re similar price to everything else, work acceptably and spares are just as expensive as everyone else, but their reliabilty is worse.

If I can’t keep my Zees going with some ebay seals when they finally die, I’ll probably be looking at Hopes or Hayes.

joebristol

Stick a Magura 4 pot caliper on there I reckon – an MT5 or something like that

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a little block made by 76 projects, or problem solvers or someone similar that allows only one piaton out at a time.

R3PRO

r3pro Piston Release Tool for Shimano 4 pot Brake Calipers: Braking force restored!!

mashr

My bad though would deffo wack a Magura calliper or even TRP

FWIW, I really like my TRimanos (XT levers, TRP Quadiem calipers). Still a pain in the balls to get a proper bleed, but stay good for far longer once you get there

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

R3PRO

r3pro Piston Release Tool for Shimano 4 pot Brake Calipers: Braking force restored!!

Thats them.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That tool is for unseizing a piston, it doesn’t look like there’s enough of a gap to get the piston actually out of the caliper?

My issue is the exact opposite of it being stuck, it’s too loose!
    <div id=”delugesiphon-modal-gabdloknkpdefdpkkibplcfnkngbidim”></div>

mtb1234
    Free Member

I’ve had two 4-pot XT calipers totally empty their oil out after just changing the pads recently. Maybe I’m a ham-fisted pleb but not very impressed tbh. Both times I needed to fix them in a hurry, so first time I had to buy a whole new brake, second time just a new caliper.

dartdude
    Free Member

Yeah TRP Quad g-specs are lovely

Tough to set up bleeding completely with braided hoses though deffo worth it.

boblo
    Free Member

I used eBay seals and an o ring to fix leaky pistons and the usual transfer port leaks.

A1 perfect. About £4.00 total IIRC. I got the pistons out with air though wrap the caliper in a cloth to avoid ceramic pistons from making a bid for freedom then shattering on landing…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That tool is for unseizing a piston, it doesn’t look like there’s enough of a gap to get the piston actually out of the caliper?

You’re right, but once you’ve advanced the piston you’re interested in that far, it tends to pop out preferentially compared to the others, because it’s got less distance remaining.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a set of ceramic pistons and seals, one of my pistons was cracked. Came out easily enough with a syringe and water.

If it goes again I’ll stick a Magura MT5 Caliper on, you can get a full brake for £75 from Winstanleys and looking at youtube the shimano olive/ barb works fine with the magura hose.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.