Home Forums News Leaked document reveals MTB World Cup plans for 2025

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Leaked document reveals MTB World Cup plans for 2025
  • nickc

I’m not sure where you’re going with the national bodies and the Olympics . . .

Becasue the TV rights cover XCC, and XCO as well as DH.  There’s multiple groups of folks who’s interests are best served by making sure that they have a steady stream of percipients  to take part in these events, from the people wanting to race, to governing bodies, to the Olympic and National bodies to the bike and component manufacturers and resorts and on and on and on, including the TV rights holders. If they can’t get together to create a national 5-7 race series then honestly the whole stack of cards deserves to crumble.

Speeder

Unfortunately, at an organisational and event level, those are all very separate events organised by separate organisers. It almost works at WC level but the logistics are ridiculous and the events are almost certainly better when DH and XC events are at different venues.  At least the DH can be on a Sunday when that happens.

Oh and the national series already exist – it’s this Continental layer that doesn’t.

nickc

Oh and the national series already exist – it’s this Continental layer that doesn’t.

there’s nothing in the document that says those should be separate things.

ocrider

Can’t remember where I saw it, but in some official documents earlier in the summer, wording was very specific concerning a UEC continental race series.

I’d also heard insinuations that several highly rated, well established national cup races in Europe, alongside some standalone events were going to get UEC banners. The En Roue Libre podcast with Chris Ball also touched on this.

I’m fully aware that we’ll trip up somewhere at a race next year, be it admin or organisation, but I don’t think it’ll be the certain doom and unorganised chaos that some people envisage.

Speeder

I guess that could work if discrete events at national level also became part of a wider continental series.  Might squeeze entries somewhat mind and then you’ve got the same problem trickled down.

hels
    Free Member

A continental series needs somebody to drive it, like World Cups have UCI and national series have BC or their own version.

I organised two “continental events” (iXS Cup Innerleithen 2010 and 2012) and the gap there was not helpful

It was made very clear by BC that we were second in line for anything after the British Downhill Series (event date selection being the most brutal example), nobody was advocating for us. We were sub-contractors, the iXS money went to the Swiss guys who had the contract we never saw any of it.

There is a different model to fund these things in Europe – local tourists boards will put in significant money – UK model is more scrabbling about for what government money you can find, entry fees and local sponsors.

Just my thoughts!

BoardinBob

There has to be another lower category series away from the headline act running elsewhere

Well Chris Ball’s organisation took over the Scottish Enduro Series then shelved it. They also took over organisation of the Macavalanche race and moved it from Glencoe to Nevis Range, without even having the courtesy to tell the Glencoe people that they wouldn’t be having the race there anymore.

I wouldn’t trust Chris Ball to run a bath.

chrismac

In every race this season? Thibault Daprela, Kirk McDowell, Stefano Introzzi, Loris Revelli and Douglas Viera have all had one or more top 30 finals finish.

All of those riders are on teams with the exception of Daprela who got sacked by Canyon and hasn’t had another team want him since

kirk is on the norco team according to norco website

stefsno rides for Ridewill Bike Center Cimone team

loris was in canyon collective in 2023

chrismac

A continental series needs somebody to drive it, like World Cups have UCI and national series have BC or their own version.

Im sure you’re right and one of the many challenges having feeder series into the main show. If the continental series gain uci status then BC a would be compelled to fall in line as it would be a governing body sanction series. It’s a big if I accept

hels
    Free Member

“BC would be compelled to fall in line” LOL.  Not with the threat by the National Series organiser to walk away if they didn’t get first dibs.  If event date allocation was taken off BC for a European series they might have a fighting chance.

readikus

They’re doing a wonderful job at making racing even less watchable. I’m much more interested in watching YouTube videos of different riding locations or gear reviews, rather than watching 40 people all ride the same DH course.

reeksy

When are they going to ‘leak’ the 2025 calendar? I’m hoping we might be able to attend a round.

BruceWee

rather than watching 40 people all ride the same DH course.

To be fair, it would be quite difficult to have a race where 40 people all rode different DH courses.

wipperman95
    Free Member

Something I’ve thought for a while, but would be unlikely to happen. Separate XC and Downhill – as we see in ski-ing. They’re completely different sports, and I think, probably have different sets of fans – look at Pinkbike, VitalMTB.

a11y

When are they going to ‘leak’ the 2025 calendar? I’m hoping we might be able to attend a round.

Think October was quoted during the MUTN podcast.

Im not fussed about attending Fort William again in person next year (if it gets awarded a round…) but Mrs a11y’s got ideas about going to a round somewhere in Europe for a change.

reeksy

We’re hoping to do a Pyrenees, dolomites, Alps trip in June/July so hopefully we can catch something.

Speeder

As an organisation trying to present a professional image to people who have to pay to participate or they don’t have a product to sell. It’s very much in WB’s interest to get the schedule out as early as possible so people can work out how much sponsorship they’re going to actually need for next year.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.