Home Forums Chat Forum Laptop help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Laptop help
  • eruptron
    Free Member

Hi
    It looks like I need a new laptop was wondering if anyone has any advice as to the best place to look or whats hot at the moment. Are there any deals around with it being a BH weekend.
    The budget won’t stretch to a Mac. As nice as the idea would may be, unless a 0% finance deal is out there.
    Budget is probably more around 500 quid. I will pay more but my general usage is more social. Need to cope well with Skype, movies and more importantly must be good to use for Zwifting.
    My knowledge is basic when it come to the spec side of things so a little bit of help would be great.
    Was thinking along the lines of this Lenovo one. Any thoughts?

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-ideapad-310-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p3136264?colour=Red#tooltip

oldnpastit

Chromebook?

eruptron
    Free Member

Haven’t got the first idea about Chromebook. The one other stipulation is it has to have a card reader. Was also wondering about the Yoga from Lenovo as I can fold it better to put on a window sill while Zwifting.

Cletus

The resolution on that Lenovo is pretty low – I would be looking for full HD nowadays.

I also prefer smaller laptops – 13-14″ is the best compromise between usability and portability imo.

I like the look of the Dell below:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-inspiron-13-5000-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-13-3-inch-full-hd-touchscreen-2-2702334

Del

there’s a bit of jerking around to do to start with, but might be worth a punt?
    looky[/url]

mattyfez

For an extra £50, the one cletus found is well worth the extra, better processor, twice the ram and the SSD really makes day to day use feel more snappy compared to the mechanical drive in the other one.

eruptron
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    For an extra £50, the one cletus found is well worth the extra, better processor, twice the ram and the SSD really makes day to day use feel more snappy compared to the mechanical drive in the other one.
    Thanks thats intersting. SSD is one of the thing I know is better but by how much? I’m not tech savie enough.
    Nit sure info on Very is correct as this is listed on John Lewis for 499 with SSD
    https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspiron-13-5000-series-convertible-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-ram-128gb-ssd-13-3-full-hd-grey/p3182952

mattyfez

I’d say SSD is a must if buying new, it does make a big difference. Especially In laptops were hard drives tend to be lower spin speed than standard desktop hard drives.
    That one you just linked to is ok, but 128gb might be a little small depending on how much storage space you need..

If it were my money, out of the options so far, I’d still get the one cletus mentioned for £550 without question, but it depends on how tight your budget is really.

The xiaomi linked above is an interesting proposition, but I think I’d be put off due to warranty /returns complications if it were to malfunction.

eruptron
    Free Member

The xiaomi linked above is an interesting proposition, but I think I’d be put off due to warranty /returns complications if it were to malfunction.

And the Chinese version of Windows put me off as well.

It also depends if my eyes are bigger than my belly so to speak and whether I actually really need the 550 one or whether one of the cheaper ones will be more than adequate for my usage.
    I want to use Zwift, a bit of of storage for the usual personal documents Cv and the like, Photo’s including photoshop elements, then the usual social media stuff and streaming of videos.
    So whether I would be better to get the cheaper one like the Lenovo yoga at 350 and then a reasonable portable hard drive for back up.

oldnpastit
    eruptron
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member
    Chromebook, should do most of what you want.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-chromebook-r-13-cb5-312t-2-in-1-touchscreen-silver-10153641-pdt.html

Lots of other similar models.

Cheers they look OK but they only have a micro sd card reader. Would really prefer one with a multi card reader.

mattyfez

The minimum ram requirements for zwift seem to be 4gb.

So basically the i5 system will be better.

The i3 system will ‘do the job’ , but my monies still on the i5 8gb system with 250gb SSD, for an extra £50 it’s a fair bit better.

eruptron
    Free Member

So here’s another one into the mix. Assuming its worth the extra money. Has anyone any idea with this Dell one.
    I like the idea of the bigger screen.

DELL also have 100 quid off the price and free delivery.

http://m.dell.com/mt/www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn53801&model_id=inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop

Seems to be £150 cheaper than John Lewis if its the same.

https://www.johnlewis.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-15-6-silver/p3075756#tabinfo-ratings

beej

You can’t run Zwift on a Chromebook, it’s a pc or iOS app.

eruptron
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. i’ve discounted Chromebook anyway due to the lack of a Sd card reader.

Any thoughts about the Dell? Are they OK to deal with direct?

Del

i’m not interested enough to check the specs on your dell, sorry, but they’re fine to deal with. warranty returns etc. all easy.
    having said that, see if JL will price match. if so i’d buy from them if you have one nearby, without a second thought.

mattyfez

Apart from larger screens they look to be essentially the same spec as cletus suggestion, only more expensive.

eruptron
    Free Member

having said that, see if JL will price match. if so i’d buy from them if you have one nearby, without a second thought

Unfortunately they dont with online only shops. Shame as I too would choose them buy from especially with the extra warranty. 150 quid is a big difference though even for the extra warranty.

eruptron
    Free Member

Thanks for all you comments Mattyfez most helpful.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Laptop help’ is closed to new replies.