Home Forums Chat Forum Lakes holiday let search help

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lakes holiday let search help
  • alchiltern
    Free Member

I’m looking for a holiday let in the lakes for late Aug 22, Northern areas ideally. Struggling with the results from the main letting companies and wider Google hits.

We go each year but next time its a notable family celebration and we need to host a minimum of 14 folk/ 6 rooms and need a good walking location, a really decent property ideally with character, but… without straying into the mega cost or party house market.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, eg marketed by owners only?

Tia.

grum
    Free Member

Not to be negative but I think you will struggle. Most stuff booked already and what’s left seems to be at ridiculous prices.

TomB

Try Sally’s cottages, based in Keswick. Not sure if they come up high on google but good company.

ElShalimo

Sally’s Cottages are pretty good

duncancallum

As in August 2022 or tomorrow?😛

GolfChick
    Free Member

Has to be next year! Nobody would be stupid enough to try to let a cottage in the Lake District right now!!

dave661350

If it has to be the Lakes, I have nothing to offer, if you can move East to Northumbria, Borders, look at some of the joys on Crabtree and Crabtree. Good luck
    http://www.crabtreeandcrabtree.com

grum
    Free Member

I wasn’t very awake when I saw that it must mean August next year surely. Though large characterful property in prime lake district walking area is still going to cost the earth next August. I’d be looking outside the national park I reckon.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I found 12 August 7 nights for £4650 for 14 people in 2 mins of Googlefu

There does seem to be an increase in large family groups on UK holidays this year which might be carrying over in to next year

ElShalimo

Just outside the Lakes, we stayed there in 2015 and it was really nice. You can ride/walk from the door.

https://www.ashley-bank.co.uk/

alchiltern
    Free Member

Thanks all, we’ve used Sally’s a number of times in the past but for larger numbers we’re much more limited, agree they’ve been very good.

It’s less the case of not finding anything, more the right property in the right location. Realise we might be looking for the proverbial on a stick though.

Definately next year and yes it has to be in the lakes. The main host is Cumbrian and grew up on hills and dales of the park.

convert

Broaden your search for multiple smaller cottages next door to each other?

Not relevant to you but we’ve done similar at Stackpole Quay in Pembrokeshire in the national trust properties there. Big (massive) advantage for me is that quiet time away from the party spirit is easier to manage. People get together because they want to rather than they have to.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s less the case of not finding anything, more the right property in the right location. Realise we might be looking for the proverbial on a stick though.

Yes, someone else has found and booked moon on a stick. Probably for the next 5 years

I suggest you use the cancellation policies if possible, book the first thing that will do and then you have your holiday, then look for better and get a refund if you do.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I suggest you use the cancellation policies if possible, book the first thing that will do and then you have your holiday, then look for better and get a refund if you do.

With all due respect, ie not much, that is a dick move.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

With all due respect, ie not much, that is a dick move.

No, a dick move is booking three restaurants for a night out and rocking up at the one that takes your fancy after you have met up with your mates

Using large companies refund policies properly isn’t, there will be penalties built in as they get closer to the date.

In all likelihood the one that gets booked first will be the one they go to

augustuswindsock

Might be worth looking at yha website, you can hire out certain hostels exclusively, iirc eskdale looks good.

ElShalimo

Using large companies refund policies properly isn’t, there will be penalties built in as they get closer to the date.

Are you aware that the rental companies are not usually the properties owners?

Actually don’t answer but please provide your weight and height so that we can confirm the first part of your user name is true. The latter half clearly is.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Are you aware that the rental companies are not usually the properties owners?

Who will obviously be breadline owning a house in a national park that can host 14 people…..

It’s arguably a mute point as since Corona they have all tightened up their deposit policies and even low initial deposit offers mean you are tied into the standard deposit if you cancel (bit of a dick move if it’s not explicit in the offer)

jekkyl

Try Derwentwater independent hostel. Either for full let or enough rooms to accommodate all your party.

ampthill

We must do lots of cottages in Elterwater for about 20 people each summer. Parties in Gunpowder, St Giles or the Britannia Inn

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lakes holiday let search help’ is closed to new replies.