Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Kryton 1-0 Flying
  • Kryton57

Regulars will know I have issues flying which stems from anxiety. Well, 7 CBT session gone and I attended EasyJet’s fearless flyer course this weekend.

I flew around Essex today completely un-medicated, the first time I’ve been so on a plane for 18 years, likewise going through the check process unaided.  I won’t say I wasn’t entirely devoid of nerves, buts it’s a large step toward sensibility.

I need to highlight in particular several ladies who where in tears yesterday during the ground based seminar, who got on the plane – in tears – and came out smiling.

Not cheap but worthwhile I feel.  Recommended.

scaredypants

well done Kryton – and your ladies !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is excellent news. Good for you!

Now awaiting your next threads….

What’s the best seat on a BA747?

What shoes for long haul?

Etc.

🙂

simondbarnes

Good work

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oi! stop stealing my material 😉

Well done Kryters.

bikebouy
    Free Member

DickBarton

Top result…congrats.

Kryton57

Thanks.  The CBT is a massive help – even for life in general – I’d recommended it.

not those ones 😉

RustySpanner

Could have saved a fortune and gone for the budget option….

Seriously, well done mate, onward and upward.

oldtennisshoes

Good for you Kryton 💪🙌

Bregante

Well done o.p

My niece has a fear of flying and like you would only do so “medicated” (in her case with alcohol I believe). She did one of the easyJet courses last weekend with a similar outcome to you and cannot stop raving about how good it was.

leffeboy

Top (gun)

dantsw13

My advice would now be to book a flight SOON. Make the new tolerance to flying a habit 👍

Kryton57

Dantsw13 – yes, that’s their advice too.  Already booked a flight to Vancouver in April 😀 (Might have a day trip to Edinburgh first)

matt_outandabout

Was the plane on a conveyor belt?

nice one…

john_drummer
    Free Member

Vancouver eh, that’s a long flight from UK, I did it last June from Manchester, 9 hours. Sure you don’t want to do Dublin & back before then?

btw Vancouver Island is lovely if that’s where you’re headed

molgrips
    Free Member

What did you do on the flight?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Solo MHC I reckon.

CountZero

Vancouver eh, that’s a long flight from UK, I did it last June from Manchester, 9 hours. Sure you don’t want to do Dublin & back before then?

Then there’s the direct London-Perth 17 hour nineteen minute flight…

Seriously, well done, congratulations and enjoy the Vancouver trip. 👏🏻🤘🏻

funkmasterp

Great news

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

well done Kryton amd #topshoebantz with CFH

senorj

“What did you do on the flight?”

He put smiles on Ladies’ faces.

Bravo.

Kryton57

What did you do on the flight?

Well, a lot to do with it is the previous day.  The ground course covers three parts – several examples of how we powerful our brains are at negative thinking / filling in gaps of knowledge negatively, a talk through “noises” and mechanical activity from the captian and a final session learning some dis-association and relaxation techniques.

On the flight, there’s a final relaxation technique before take off but then essentially you just fly about with the in cabin captian describing all the activity & noises – flaps, wheels, engine thrusts, bumps over the clouds, landing sequence etc.

Actually Vancouver was pre-booked.  I won a work trip and subsequently discovered Mrs K has always want to see Canada, so this and the CBT was part of the process of re-discover ing flying.  Plus the docs & airlines are now refusing medicating passengers.

For me the CBT is the biggest part.  Discovering that I predominately spiral into negative thought patterns – catastrophising and prediction in the main for flying – and have been for those 18 years means I can now work to counter that.  A lot of people including me were surprised how calmly I managed myself through the airport – even experiencing a full on search at security – and waited for the flight with nary a nervous twitch.  Yes I was managing my thought process consciously but its a start.

Thanks for all the comments, I hope this inspires someone else to go through the same for whatever anxiety based troubles or concerns they have.

angeldust
    Free Member

Will it be any different when the flight is for work?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Great news, well done Kryton. Enjoy Vancouver.

Sandwich

Do you feel the need for speed?

Kryton57

Angeldust, I’ll entertaining the slight trolling – no . After all the was a voluntary trip I didn’t have to go on and ended in gloomy Stansted not a sunny beach .

The Vancouver trip is a work trip, I’m going with colleagues and will have seminars to attend, it’s not just the two of us.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    ferrals
    Free Member

Nice one. I’ve never had an issue with flying but am increasingly unkeen on long haul flights after three people I know got DVT in the last few years, got a work trip to the states in August I’m already dreading.

dantsw13

Kryton – if you have any questions about flying at all, drop me a line – happy to chat about it.

Let me know the details of your Vancouver flight – if it’s BA I can contact the pilots, if it would help you to pop into the cockpit before flying.

dantsw13

Ferrals – get up & walk around, keep hydrated, stretch/wiggle your legs when seated.

take an aspirin before flight. Don’t get pissed. Don’t go for a run when you land in Aus until the next day.

nedrapier

Well done Kryton!

Vancouver eh, that’s a long flight from UK, I did it last June from Manchester, 9 hours. Sure you don’t want to do Dublin & back before then

I would have through having enough time to get through anxiety, nerves, excitement, acceptance and finally to the point of being properly bored about the whole thing would be a excellent development opportunity.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ferrals – get up & walk around, keep hydrated, stretch/wiggle your legs when seated.

take an aspirin before flight. Don’t get pissed. Don’t go for a run when you land in Aus until the next day.

Nice one. Is tehre any benefit to buying compression stockings?

dantsw13

I believe so, but i don’t bother.

Kryton57

Let me know the details of your Vancouver flight – if it’s BA I can contact the pilots, if it would help you to pop into the cockpit before flying.

Wowsers – thanks!  It is BA, a 747 out of Heathrow so I’ll drop you a line, much appreciated.

TiRed

Well done Kryton, that is a great outcome.

I have yet to get over my fear of flying around Oxfordshire at the hands of my 17yo 😉 . He’s currently on “Local Solo”, and about 8 hours to PPL. Then it’s take Daddy flying time.

BA 747 from LHR – I’ll wave as you fly over my house.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It is BA, a 747 out of Heathrow

62K outbound, 62A return. 2K/A isn’t too bad, either.

🙂

That aside, SeatGuru and STWFrequentFlyerTrackWorld are good source of seat advice. A good seat makes a lot of very positive difference to a flight.

nickc

Well done Kryton, you must be well chuffed, I know I would be!! takes balls to face a challenge like anxiety about flying. 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Was the plane on a conveyor belt?

Can’t have been, it took off.

ElShalimo

Well done Kryton, I’m really chuffed for you!!

I’m very unhappy when flying and asked about those courses a while ago but didn’t find time to do it. I’ve recently been to Verona (ski) and Zürich (work) and didn’t die. I think over analysing every bump and noise doesn’t help me. I flew to Zurich on a new Embraer, it sounds like an angry hairdryer and at one point was making an awful high pitched din for about 5mins. I was really uncomfortable for a few mins but survived.

I’ve got to fly to Dallas in about 6 weeks and I’m concerned about 10hrs in economy. At 6ft 1.5in with long limbs and 98kg of “relaxed geometry”, it’ll be mild torture. Woe is me..

Once again well done mate!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Kryton 1-0 Flying’ is closed to new replies.