Home Forums Bike Forum Kintyre gravel riding

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kintyre gravel riding
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

I’m looking to head to Kintyre next week and I’m looking for any inside info on gravel routes in the area, particularly starting, finishing in Cambeltown.
    Is the Kintyre way ridable or is it a walking trail with unpteen stiles!?
    Are there any ‘must do’ sections or similarly any ‘don’t do’ sections!
    Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pretty sure @Tomd has rode the kintyre way?.

tomd
    Free Member

Many years ago we did the Campbeltown to Tarbert bit and it was all rideable and well suited to skiny tyres. In August a few bits might be a bit bracken-ey if it’s not been maintened through covid. Not done any of the bit south of Campbeltown. The bit from Carradale accross was probably the most interesting, the rest was just mile munching IRC.

Tbh the whole area is awash with forest and windfarm tracks. I’d recommend getting the latest OS map and exploring bases on your location.

sadtomato
    Free Member

A couple of years ago we had a holiday cottage near Bellochantuy. I headed up the forest road from there amd there’s a nice little loop of Loch Lussa which is fairly obvious on a map. You can also go up the singetrack road from Campbeltown to get there and/or back round the road. Fairly short but a nice outing. There’s loads of forest roads though.

haggis1978

I’m from campbeltown and tried to ride some of the kintyre way on a MTB during the summer. Overgrown and pointless. Gossip around the Toon is that the person in charge of the Kintyre Way embezzled a load of money out the fund before being sacked. Since then it’s become overgrown and hasn’t been cared for at all and certainly not enjoyable to ride as in places it’s non existant. Certainly down around Campbeltown and Southend anyway. There’s still plenty of forest roads for riding up round the windfarms. Get on Google Maps and have a look round Lussa Loch and up Carradale as well and down Southend. I can screenshot my Strava routes and send them to you if you want? Be easier than listing it all and trying to describe it.

kcal

I was going to say someone I know had been down that way on holiday the other week and had found a lot of it hard going – gravel bike but it was the overgrown nature that had stumped them I think.

Locoboy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, really helpful.

@haggis1978
    Some strava routes would be ideal please, you have a PM.
    Thanks

bigyan
    Free Member

Some bits were never rideable, Waterfoot to Torrisdale you would need to carry the bike 90% of the time round the shore over the rocks. I would just use the Road over Dippen brae at that point, then into Torrisdale estate.

Loads of forestry/windfarm roads, just make sure you check which ones link up over the peninsula.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kintyre gravel riding’ is closed to new replies.