Home Forums Bike Forum Jockey wheel oil or grease?

• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by aP.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jockey wheel oil or grease?
  • phil5556

Got carried away cleaning and stripped and cleaned my jockey wheels.

Should the bushes be greased or just a bit of oiling when putting them back together?

Shimano deore.

Cheers

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d go for grease as it’ll stay in there better.

No idea if I’m correct, and if I didn’t have grease to hand I’d use oil.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Wet lube works fine – though I don’t jet wash bikes.

Squirrel

I’d go for grease when reassembling so it stays in there. Thickish lube for usual maintenance.

JoeG
    Free Member

My vote is for no lube at all; run them dry. I believe that this is how they are when new. Surely the ceramic bushing doesn’t need oil or grease, that would just gum it up.

drnosh
    Free Member

Waterproof grease.
    Lithium grease.
    or similar

kaiser
    Free Member

I just squirt a little gt85/ chain lube whatever in that area + the pivots after cleaning…never had any problems and my mechs last years and work perfectly until Jockey wheels are worn out.As said doesn’t really need anything special or much attention.

andybrad

I thought it was a bush?

Grease

phil5556

I’ve gone for grease :)

Cheers.

Although it’s not shifting that well at the moment, need to have another go at setting it up from scratch :(

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing. I put WD40 on them externally after washing.

I have never had a jockey wheel bushing wear out ever. But I have had cartridge bearing ones wear out and develop enough play to let my chain jam between the jockey wheel and the cage, ride up and rip the mech hanger off.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

When you put it back together the jockey wheel allen screws are one of the few places n a bike that i’d use loctite.

BigEls
    Free Member

Agree with Rockhopper.

MrSparkle

Thirded. Such fun when one drops off part way round the Mary Towneley Loop event…

superleggero
    Free Member

+1 for the loctite on the jockey wheel screws.

canopy
    Free Member

I know the OP greased his up.

I googled this a few days ago, and did both grease and oil.

grease on the removable roller pivot thing betwen the interface for the screw and it (metal on metal). this part is less exposed, so unlkely to attraced shite.

then oil in the runner where the metal thing rotates, where grease would gum it up. (metal on plastic)

aP
    Free Member

On the rare occasions when I have to go into some sealed cartridge bearings on a bike I always pack them out with Pace RC7 grease. It never did any use in the Pace forks that herself (RC35AB) and I (RC36 Stealth) had so it might as well get used at some point. Bright green and impossible to remove from clothing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jockey wheel oil or grease?’ is closed to new replies.