Home Forums Chat Forum The Panama Papers.

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 905 total)
  • The Panama Papers.
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No Edukator, Piketty was the story of 2015 as were the various critiques of his analysis. Old news…..

Edukator
    Free Member

He’s still alive and contributing to the debate (unlike your neo-something heros).

I suppose that the fact his work dynamites just about everything you’ve posted on this thread might have something to do with you being dismissive of him (or anyone else in favour of an equitable tax system).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey Ed, SOH required…..it was a joke in line with your post about binners and me being behind the times (remember?). I read Piketty like most people last year that’s all.

P.s. don’t assume that anyone/everyone I read is a hero. I read Scotlands Futures from cover to cover and that WAS drivel.

But on a serious note, I have already posted the conclusion form the independent statistical body in the UK. If you want to ignore the fact that we have a progressive tax system then carry on. Vous n’etes pas seul.

mefty
    Free Member

I suppose that the fact his work dynamites just about everything you’ve posted on this thread might have something to do with you being dismissive of him

But isn’t it based on questionable foundations, didn’t he screw up his data analysis?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only partially mefty

Here you go ED, to soothe your concerns

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/theeffectsoftaxesandbenefitsonincomeinequality/1977tofinancialyearending2015

Published last week, you might not like what it says though. Actually you should…

DrJ

But isn’t it based on questionable foundations, didn’t he screw up his data analysis?

Not really

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2014/05/inequality-0

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So Dr, we are a couple of days since the release of dramatic papers and 24 hours or so since several leading politicians released their tax details. Any answers yet?

Not a hint on any of the news programmes tonight. How very odd….

binners

I can’t think of a more discredited philosophy than Friedmans Chicago School neoliberalism, yet the answer to its many obvious and catastrophic failings seem to be more of the same!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hardly, we have moved on a long way since pure monetarism held sway. Widely accepted that monetary and fiscal policy work best in combination although as with supply side policies there are always conflicts between policy objectives.

But you are partially correct in that MF was supportive of Stealing QE including recommending it for Japan. Just showed he misunderstood the nature of Japan’s problem. Some hero, eh?!?

In 2015 there was an amusing debate between Chris Giles/FT and Piketty over the data.

Edit: C4 just covered the story but with Cathy in Moscow 😉

With all the evidence out there why has the UK become so unnewsworthy?

Oh, he we go again, but it’s EU policy on MNC

mefty
    Free Member

Only partially mefty

I couldn’t remember the precise details of the kerfuffle but knew there had been one, I remember that Economist article and came to the conclusion there was no imperative to read the book.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A bit of a stats-feat between Giles and Piketty

binners

Monetarism is over? really? Phew!

Quite a relief, because from what I can see if it waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it’s usually….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Perhaps your are mistaking a duck and a chicken?

mefty
    Free Member

BTW that Economist article

Are the data wrong?

Whilst obviously very correct, doesn’t it sound wrong/awful, how many other publications would follow this usage.

Edukator
    Free Member

THM: your “old news” was provocation (not devoid of humour) which I took without comment. My reply was equally neither devoid of humour nor provocation.

I hope there was humour and provocation in some of your earlier posts.

Some of the things that mean the British tax system is not progressive where the very rich are concerned:

Exempted investments

Forestry: a zero tax investment with high barriers to entry – only the wealthy can afford it Highly profitable too.

Venture capital trust dividends are tax exempt – if you follow “only invest what you can afford to lose” they are a rich-only investment

Foreign residency: Britain is one of the easiest countries to live in whilst claiming to be an overseas resident and therefore only liable for UK tax on your UK income (which is clearly minimised). The rich live in the UK most of the time while claiming to be living somewhere else. See also “FOTRA securites” which mean that once resident abroad you can invest tax free in uk government securites. All this means being rich enough to have property abroad and not doing a day job which requires official UK residence – you need to be rich to benefit then.

There are more but the idea is: if you are rich enough you really don’t need to pay the UK government more than a token amount of tax even if you live in London most of the year and hold a British passport.

DrJ

Any answers yet?

You keep typing that as though anyone has a clue what you are talking about. Care to enlighten us, or is it yet another proof of your great intellectual superiority?

mefty
    Free Member

Edukator – a tax system is not only there to raise money, it can also be used as an instrument of policy to encourage investment in areas where you want it. I would have thought you would love VCTs, they are responsible for a very large proportion of the Solar Panels in the UK. The woodlands tax regime is much the same and has been a long term policy – certainly 50 years and is in fact less generous than it was.

FOTRA – well done, haven’t heard this term for years – we have a small Bond market we have to entice investors, beggars (literally) can’t be choosers.

You are mixing up the concepts of residency and domicile, but there have been considerable changes in the last few years and I think you might be surprised how they now work.

binners

Anyway, this is all very interesting, but back on topic…. Though I’m sure that Hurty will dismiss this as ‘its Paul Mason’, I don’t think I disagree with a word of this:

we dont wantbto be a neo-feudal backwater, where inherited wealth and an unifficial mafia rules.

What Dave, his Eton cabal, their offshore inherited wealth, and the dodgy (to quote Dennis) financial interests in the City that they so shamelessly represent are living proof of, is that this country is as far away as it’s ever been from any serious form of meritocracy, social justice or mobility

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binners 🙂 thread definitely better with pictures, tbh I’d lost interest until then

@Edukator UK system pretty progressive I’d say certainly more so than most of Europe which has VAT on food and no reduced rates for ultility bills for example. Looking at “super rich” is a red herring imo as they are highly mobile and without incentives are likley to move away. Incentives for investment make sense for the nation.

@binners it would be much better if we aboloshed iht, many of us here have argued for that for some not least as its such an easy tax to legally avoid.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Come now binbins, we don’t want a parliament of losers do we? Or as Alan Duncan said, “low achievers” which is what I assume his kind of Tory labels someone without a “hint of wealth”…coming from daddy and mumsy.

Edukator
    Free Member

Whilst I may be mixing up the terms, there are 113 000 non-doms in the Uk and the numbers are growing.

Some are highly mobile, Lewis Hamilton for example. Others less so. Read Ben Goldsmith’s profile and you’ll find that pretty much all his business and family interests are UK based (and he finances the Conservative party). If these people were American they’d have to pay tax in the US or give up their US citizenship.

As for this one…. .
    Edit to add Ashcroft detail:

“He sat on the Conservative benches of the House of Lords until 2015, having been ennobled as a life peer in 2000. His peerage was controversial due to his status as tax exile.[5] The Cabinet Office stated that he would take up permanent residence in the UK for tax purposes,[5][6] however it was revealed a decade later that he had not done so”

Junkyard
    Free Member

it would be much better if we abolished it, many of us here have argued for that for some not least as its such an easy tax to legally avoid.

IT’s pretty easy to avoid lots of things, speed limits for example, but i don’t think abolishing is generally the answer it is better enforcement. I dont think we abolish unemployed folk having to look for work because many “cheat” the system we get tougher on these scroungers and freeloaders. We demonise them. Except with tax on the wealthy where we must change because they avoid the “intent” of the law. Anything else is just “envy”.

mefty
    Free Member

I am fully aware of non doms but as I alluded to in my previous post the benefits of being one have been much reduced as the last few years. In addition, you can’t benefit from being a non dom and sit in either House of Parliament.

I don’t need to read Goldsmith’s bio, I know him vaguely and his brother is my MP, I blame it on his rapacious capitalist father who was French.

Ashcroft was overly cute, but he didn’t breach his representation, anyway he had to rescind his status to sit in the Lords.

If these people were American they’d have to pay tax in the US or give up their US citizenship.

Which creates a ridiculous compliance burden with limited tax take – it has been termed an employment act for accountants and lawyers. But if you want a case study in how not to tax the rich, the USA is a good starting point.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Edukator Hamilton can’t be a non-dom (afaik) as he’s British and so are his parents. Non-Dom status is basically for foreigners who the uk tries to attract to the uk by saying they will be taxed on their uk income but not money they make abroad. Originally for people like Greek Shipping magnets but Greece got their own back by making all their income tax free if they live in Greece. At least Tories make them pay something (£30k I believe) and have “limited” then to 17 years, as I posted it should be 5 and payment should be £100k

Any comment on whether uk tax system is less progressive than France with 5.5% tva on food and 45% top rate kicking in much lower down than uk’s top rate. The 66% rate is paid by the company not the employee.

jambalaya
    Free Member

JY iht is a tax on already taxed income. Personally I think the original name of “death duties” is more appropriate, its a tax on dying paid by those unable to gift the money 7 years prior to death. The difference with speeding is that’s against the law whilst avoiding iht is legal.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@Edukator Hamilton can’t be a non-dom (afaik) as he’s British and so are his parents. Non-Dom status is basically for foreigners who the uk tries to attract to the uk by saying they will be taxed on their uk income but not money they make abroad. Originally for people like Greek Shipping magnets but Greece got their own back by making all their income tax free if they live in Greece.

None of this is right btw.

Edukator
    Free Member

Read the links guys. Ashcroft did ten years in the Lords as a non-dom even though it wasn’t allowed to even at the time. Anyone with two passports can be a non-dom, I could do it. However, I’m not as rich as Hamilton so it wouldn’t be worth my while. £30000 to someone who would normally be paying a few million in tax is not a fat lot. You wanted proof that the British tax system is not progressive and I’m providing it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Northwind happy to be corrected. I understood Hamilton was tax xresodemt in Villars, Switzerland before moving to Monaco. Comments about Greeks I believe to be correct

On a much happier note I’ve just had a tremdous laugh out loud moment, Corbyn the gift that keeps on giving. He forgot to put all his pension income on his tax return. £6k state pension plus another pension from his time in local government – he didn’t include any of it. This is the man who would have us believe is qualified to run the country. 😀

Initially Labour spokesman tried to claim pension income wasn’t taxable 😯 😯 😯

What a massive own goal

Corbyn’s pension pot is worth £1.6m pretty generous when the rest of us can only save just over £1m before attracting penal rates of tax.

Linky[/url]

😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Some of the things that mean the British tax system is not progressive where the very rich are concerned:

Ok believe what you want. Was the link of ANY use?

If you want to cherry pick individual items of the tax and benefits systems, fine. And in the link you will find some ammo to help out – they point out which bits are regressive versus positive. But quite sensibly and correctly the ONS look at the system as a whole.

Dr, I wouldnt like to have to resort to words of only one syllable. Just keep ignoring the two very simple questions posed. The reason is clear….

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Edukator I don’t believe Hamilton has two passports and when Ashcroft was a Lord you could be a non-dom, Cameron changed the rules (thats my recollection). Agreed it should be morevthan £30k, I proposed £100k

How is uk tax less progressive than France when they have vat on food ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sloppy Jezza or Dodgy Dave – which is the more accurate?

Either way, good job no one is arguing that these people should be running more of the economy.

“we are pleasd to announce that the new British Steell made a profit of £250 million in the latest fiscal year”

“what about the operating expenses?”

“the what? Oh we will be adding those in next week, is that ok? My biro ran out of ink”

and if they don’t, they burn.

C’mon Paul, lest burn them ourselves. Is there not the slightest hint of irony writing this in the Guardian? Don’t bite the mouth that feeds you Paul.

“but what about my divi, Sam wants a nice pressie this year?”

Edukator
    Free Member

I have no idea what the questions to DrJ were either, Jamba. I did look at your link but as it doesn’t include the richest people in the UK, figures from the national statistics office aren’t that useful. You see people like Ashcroft, Hamilton and Goldsmith are non-dom and not included. I wonder how many bilions in tax the non-doms would pay if they were doms? That doesn’t stop them living in the UK with all the benefits provided by people who do pay UK tax.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Comments about Greeks I believe to be correct

Don’t doubt it for a second, there’s a great many things you believe to be correct that are not. Non-dom status which you think was originally for people like greek shipping magnets (sic) actually dates back to the foundation of income taxes during the napoleonic wars 😆 It’s got nothing to do with “attracting foreigners” whatsoever. Also being british and having british parents is not a barrier to being non-dom- domicile of origin is only one of the ways to claim non-dom status.

ninfan
    Free Member

Jamba – that’s brilliant

The only person to so far be revealed as a tax dodger is the leader of the Labour Party 😆

I reiterate my previous point: doddery old fool!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Before any taxes and benefits, the UK had one of the highest levels of income inequality in the EU. However, the UK’s tax and benefits system appears to be more redistributive than that of many other countries with relatively high pre-tax and benefits inequality, bringing the UK close to the overall EU average for inequality of disposable income.

Hard to believe eh? The ONS? Burn them…..

Almost a hint of John Rawls in that….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The only person to so far be revealed as a tax dodger is the leader of the Labour Party

Do you know that he’s dodged any tax?

(Hint: You don’t.)

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Corbyn is human shocker!!

He might just be an MI5 plant to ensure Dodgy Dave and pals continue to run Her Majesty’s Government just the way she likes it, but I doubt it…

mefty
    Free Member

The non dom rules have changed a lot

The remittance basis charge is £30,000 if you have been resident for seven out of the last nine years rising to £60,000 if you have been resident for twelve out of the last fourteen years and finally £90,000 if you have been resident for 17 out of the last twenty years.

From April 2017, if you are a long term resident (resident for at least fifteen out of the last twenty tax years) there are current proposals to stop the availability of the remittance basis altogether an you will be taxed on the arising basis.

Re Lord Ashcroft, I had a very long argument with TJ, inter alia, when the issue arose. In the course of this I went to the source papers, as I said he was overly cute. Unfortunately the appointments committee had no understanding of tax and he was well advised. This enabled him to make a representation which did not involve him rescinding his status and which the committee assumed did because of their lack of understanding. Not great, he is hardly a paragon of virtue, but not against the rules at the time which have, rightly, since been changed. He wasn’t the only peer to be effected.

EDIT: Hamilton may be able to maintain Jamaican (?) domicile as a result of his father.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s dreadful when people make those kinds of accusations DD isn’t it? 😉

Maybe Ninfan is confused because the Lab spokesman initially said that sloppy Jezza was not liable for tax on this income (opps) before changing this to the tax has been paid. Hard to follow isn’t it?

Still we now have Tory backbenchers talking about the inevitability of full disclosure and Burnham and Thornbury backtracking – a case of be careful what you wish for perhaps ? Where’s the smoking gun lying now???

We shall see. There may be a story here after all. Lets hope so because it’s been pretty dull on the facts front so far….

mefty
    Free Member

Do you know that he’s dodged any tax?

The likelihood is that his coding would have taken care of the tax, but he has made a false return which at best is not a great look!

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 905 total)

The topic ‘The Panama Papers.’ is closed to new replies.