Home Forums Chat Forum Jeans recommendations

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Jeans recommendations
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I need a new pair of jeans. Need to be ethical, tough, comfy and long-lasting. And fit my chunky ‘althletic’ calves and thighs. A bit of stretch wouldn’t go amiss. Looked at the Alpkit Sequence and Jeanius – I prefer the style of the Jeanius, but fear they be a little too snug.

Any suggestions?

nbt

Hebtroco worth checking, especially their end of line stuff. Not cheap, but good value – really hard wearing and ethically made.

flyingmonkeycorps

Ooh I’d forgotten about them, they’re a possibility. I can just about justify their prices if they’ll last for a decade or so!

doris5000
    Free Member

I would suggest –

Community Clothing – https://communityclothing.co.uk/collections/mens-jeans

Howies – https://howies.co.uk/collections/mens-jeans-trousers

Mud – https://mudjeans.eu/

Nudie – https://www.nudiejeans.com/selection/mens-jeans

(everything has got so expensive since the last time I bought jeans about 3 years ago!)

Harry_the_Spider

Hebtroco. Quality stuff that lasts.
    Wearing a pair of canvas Guvnors right now that I’ve had for years.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ll be honest, I’m kinda done with Howies trousers. I’ve had a couple of pairs that have only lasted a couple of years if that, with buttons that have popped off within weeks. Then there’s their… Let’s say creative sizing. 

I’ve been looking at Community Clothing, good to hear a recommendation for them. And I’ll have a look at Mud and Nudie too. 

edhornby

I can also recommend Hebtroco, my wife also has a pair of community clothing jeans and really likes them . I’m wearing their socks at the moment and can recommend

Jeans are expensive because everything has gone up in price , even the crap stuff on the high st is around 40/50quid

simondbarnes

Definitely Hebtroco. I have a few pairs now, should last a lifetime 🙂

20230914_094644

Cougar

I think the last pair of Jeans I bought were Tesco Value, in a panic after I’d thrown my lunch down the pair I was wearing.

Cougar

… actually, thinking about it, that’s not true.

The last time I went to buy jeans I schlepped around the Usual Suspect high street stores like Next for what felt like an eternity. Literally everywhere’s entire stock was variations on skinny / super-skinny / paint-on / second skin / sub-dermal / I can’t believe it’s not underpants…

I don’t have the physique for trendy skinny jeans, I’d look like I’ve just escaped from Belsen. I ended up paying Levi Tax, again.

herring8
    Free Member

Always Levis 501s – i must have about 30 pairs

Murray

Uniqlo selvedge are good value, I don’t know how ethical or not Uniqlo are.

jacobff

I really liked my Finisterre jeans but they were not that tough.

I got a pair of Hiut Denim, as a present. They are expensive but high ethical standards and free repairs for life.

My pair just got fixed and they used different colour threads to patch the various holes depending on fade. (did take a few months)

lunge

I like Edwin jeans ED-55, is a good balanced fit.
    I’ve also just picked up a pair of Lee Luke’s from TK Maxx and they’re not bad at all. Bit skinny though.

Mintyjim

Hiut because they’re made down the road from me in what was Europe’s biggest jean’s manufacturer.

doris5000
    Free Member

Jeans are expensive because everything has gone up in price

Yeah, I know. Just annoying because since 2019ish, everything seems to cost 50% more, my salary is up by about 10%, and now I feel skint. I’ve got a couple of pairs of Nudies and I really like them, but I doubt I could stomach £150 for a pair now!

kerley
    Free Member

I ended up paying Levi Tax, again.

You can avoid that tax by not buying from Levis or stores that seem to all have the same price.

My latest pair of 511 (fairly fitted but not skinny at all and very stretchy if buying the high elastane ones) was £32 from online retailer. I don’t need to try them on before buying as have worn 511s for years and they also do in between waist sizes (although not easy to find)N meaning I can wear a 31″ waist and don’t need a belt which I do with 32″

flyingmonkeycorps

It is a pain isn’t it… I’ve had a substantial increase in pay since 2019ish to the point where I can justify buying good stuff to make it last instead of just picking up whatever’s in the sales (thanks Vimes) but I can’t quite stretch to the really good stuff.

First world problems and all that, but still.

Community and Alpkit are top of the list at the moment I think, mayyyybe HebTroCo.

nickc

Need to be ethical and  A bit of stretch wouldn’t go amiss

These two are tough to reconcile, you may have to give up one to achieve the other. 

tthew

I got a pair of Alpkit Jeanius as an alternative to my usual Levi’s 511’s recently. Really like them, wear nicely but 511’s are a little bit skinnier than 501’s so you’re probably right about the fit.

kormoran
    Free Member

Got some hebtroco governors. Pretty impressive, sensible cut, will last I’m sure . I’m a 10 year person so they look promising. The cost is a distant memory now, unlike the joy of having them

Would quite like the combat ones but a skint and b unsure of size/bagginess. Anyone care to comment? 

thols2

Misread the thread title as “Jesus recommendations”. Hard to go beyond Depeche Mode.

reluctantlondoner

You are all wrong. The correct answer is Carhartt.

I have a couple of pairs that I’ve worn day-in and day-out for seven years. I wear jeans to work, so I really do mean day-in and day-out. About £80 to buy, amortised over the time works out at £11 per year – bargain!

dancingkitty
    Free Member

I like my Alpkit Jeanius jeans, although I could do with a light weight pair of jeans for next summer.

They are cut for climbing so chunkier around the thighs, crotch and ass.

theotherjonv

Spoke’s multifit options work for me and seem to be wearing quite well.

15% referral code available- PM me anyone (not single use afaict)

nickfrog
    Free Member

You can avoid that tax by not buying from Levis or stores that seem to all have the same price.

My latest pair of 511 (fairly fitted but not skinny at all and very stretchy if buying the high elastane ones) was £32 from online retailer. I don’t need to try them on before buying as have worn 511s for years and they also do in between waist sizes (although not easy to find)N meaning I can wear a 31″ waist and don’t need a belt which I do with 32″

That’s exactly where I am. I can’t beat 511 for style/value/durability/fit.

With 501s however I look right out of the 80s.

burko73

I find 511 s are pretty good in the performance rock cod dark blue colour. They are a little variable between 2 pairs in the same size though. 502s are also pretty good if you’re a little chunkier. They’re not as fitted but taper nicely. Levi’s seem to last better than a lot of cheaper brands. Have also bought a couple of spoke pairs as the size options are great for shortarses. Often have 20% off deals. I’m 50 and boring and always go for straight fitted slightly tapered dark blue whatever brand. Not skinny, not baggy, smart round the ankles, job done.

easily
    Free Member

“The correct answer is Carhartt”

Correction: the answer used to be Carhartt, but then Carhartt decided to make their jeans stretchy. If I want a pair of leggings I’ll buy leggings.

stu170
    Free Member

Big hebtroco fan here, had 6 different pairs and styles of trews from them, and I buy on the ethics principle. Quality is A1, but there seems to be this illusion they will last forever that’s simply not true in my case.

I’m a agricultural mechanic and wear my fancy spendy trews for work, as I work hard, can spend my money on what I want and importantly the fit/comfort of hebtroco is bang on for me. But the “decades long wear” in actual hard conditions, not so true. 

I’ve some moleskin 177s that are 8 years old, doing well but they are worn once a month, but I’ve eaten through governor denim and moleskin, and cords in less than a year. All through wear in the crotch.

I will continue to buy them though, as ethically its proper, but this illusion of buy a pair and they last for decades isn’t right. A £20 pair of Tesco jeans will last forever if you don’t wear them.

As a side note my £3 vinted Armani exchange jeans are lasting well.

CountZero

Uniqlo selvedge are good value, I don’t know how ethical or not Uniqlo are.

The denim is Japanese selvedge on the appropriately marked ones, but actually made in China. Their regular straight selvedge are pretty much identical to 501’s, without fancy stitching or labels, and are as good as you could want, my last two pairs I paid £70 for, that’s £35/pair, btw. Uniqlo down is ethically sourced, and they’ve just released a new range using recycled materials, including the down.

LAT

the fashion for close fitting jeans is passing. even if you aren’t particularly bothered about fashion, you may not want your jeans to look dated if you’ve splashed out on an well made pair that you’re hoping will last you a while.

fatmax

I’ve three sets of Hiut jeans – exceptional quality, certainly trying more than others to be ethical, and wearing in really well. I now wouldn’t by jeans from anyone else. Also, I’m lanky and Community Clothing and HebTroCo don’t do a 36″ inside leg any more.

hb70

Vinted. Nothing more ethical than buying used and the patina comes free. Just paid £24 for a pair of £150 selvedge second hand.

BillMC

I used to buy 511s and Carharrt but didn’t like the introduction of elastane and skinny legs that made you look like a hippo. So, wanting good denim and no elastane I ended up with Edwin. Outageously expensive but the best jeans I’ve had, and I’ve had quite a few.

dmorts

Anyone got any tips to stop jeans shrinking length-wise when washed?

doris5000
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips to stop jeans shrinking length-wise when washed?

This is my gripe with all clothes!

“We stopped pre-washing our clothes to save water and the environment. Please allow a random percentage for shrinkage. Good luck getting the right size, sucker”.

Aaawrgghh

dmorts

I’ve had jeans that shrink a bit on the first wash and some that just keep on shrinking. Then I thought I’d cheat the system and buy jeans that were too long. These never shrank.

P20

Unsure of their ethics, but I like my Spoke jeans. Available in a lot of sizes/shapes

funkmasterp

HebTroCo are nice but I agree on the not overly long lasting front. I have a few items from them and the jeans (about three years old) are well worn around the crotch and arse with the fly buttons on the way out. Still way better than the majority of other clothes I own. Nothing lasts forever if worn a lot.

ElShalimo

I got some Spoke jeans a year ago and I’m not that impressed with them. They do fit well (36-34-C) but I’m not convinced the fabric is better than Wrangler etc.

FWIW I have some Edwin ED55s and they’re okay. I don’t know why people rave about them

What did you get OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.