Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I’ve got Spotify Premium and Chromecast Audio
  • BigJohn

But I’m not thrilled by the sound quality.

I use an old Denon amp and Mordaunt-Short speakers which give very acceptable sound from the CD. The amp only has RCA inputs – nothing fancy like optical. My music is streamed from either Android phone and tablet or Windows PC using Chrome.

I like Spotify because I can stream at a reasonably high bit rate, it has most of the music I listen to and I can use the offline downloads for those times when I’m on holiday or away from wi-fi.

Apart from Spotify the only other music I listen to is 6 Music which i cast to the Chromecast.

My issues are that the music is a bit “closed in” and the chromecast sometimes comes over quiet, which might just need setting up a bit.

So, I’m thinking of adding a DAC into the mix, and possibly trying Tidal. As I say, I don’t think the amp and speakers are letting me down.

Anybody else had the same issues and sorted it without a lot of fuss and cost?

simondbarnes

Have you got the Chromecast set to Full Dynamic Range?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The Chromecast Audio does sound a lot better if you use its optical digital output into a DAC. Even cheapo DACs improve the sound a fair bit, and it can sound very good when a good DAC is used.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigJohn

Who would like to recommend the best value dac? Up to £150ish?
    Thanks, I’ll check (find how to) the settings.

simondbarnes

Thanks, I’ll check (find how to) the settings.

Go into Google Home, select the device, click the settings icon, and scroll down to sounds. If it isn’t enabled it sounds awful with a proper amp / speakers.

BigJohn

That might explain a lot. Thanks, Simon.
    How are the Bogtrotters getting on these days. Haven’t seen many photos of ladies’ bottoms for a while 😎

simondbarnes

That’d be simonfb, not me. I don’t think he was in a good way last I heard 🙁

BigJohn

No, I know really. Terribly sad.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Who would like to recommend the best value dac? Up to £150ish?

Lots of decent stuff second hand in that bracket, including stuff like the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic or Dacmagic 100 (if you don’t need a balanced output).

2trax

I run Spotify digital output from my laptop through a NAD 3045D DAC/amp to B&W speakers, and have to say it doesn’t sound great. Tidal (at a minimum of 24-bit/92kHz) sounds a lot better to me, but the selection just isn’t as good as Spotify and for this reason I often find myself frustrated with the service. No perfect solution yet as far as I know.

tinribz
    Free Member

Better off spending on a new amp with an integrated dac if the denon doesn’t have one, alot less fuss, and a mini toslink to toslink cable.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362240475737

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Onkyo-TX-8050-130W-Network-Stereo-Receiver-Black/153528961140?hash=item23bf0a0874:g:~IIAAOSw3rtdBOHq

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-A-S501-HiFi-Separate-Integrated-Amplifier/223578863882?hash=item340e56b90a:g:7m4AAOSwQGVdIlDr

The 9010 got great reviews, but make sure it is the European model with optical inputs.

stumpy01

It’s probably the full dynamic range option not being selected in the settings.
    It makes a massive difference.

spooky_b329

Its worth regularly checking the full dynamic range, mine was off last time I checked. Possibly since I got a replacement Chromecast a few months ago. Does make a big difference when using proper speakers.

toby1

@simon – thanks for that tip, I’ve just enabled it on mine and there’s an obvious difference in sound, hadn’t even realised the setting was there before!

BigJohn

Well, bugger me. I just looked for, and found Google Home on my phone. Now all my troubles are so far away…
    Yesterday I was in Richer Sounds, seriously considering an expensive upgrade. Now, without having spent a single penny, I’ve got the sound I want. I have a richer sound without being poorer. Thanks Simon, the forum has done it again.

Excuse me now, I’m half way through Purple Rain and I feel a Wish You Were Here coming on. It’s a bit loud in here.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I play Spotify at the highest stream thru a logitech Bluetooth receiver. Sounds ace but BT does seem to be quieter than other sources. A DAC isn’t necessarily going to give you more volume unless it’s sone kind of dac with with an output pot.

BigJohn

No, I’ve got masses of volume now I found the Google Home settings.

And that reminds me – must play Windowlicker again :o)

Cougar

Is this setting specific to the Chromecast Audio? I can’t see a “Sounds” setting on my (regular) Chromecast.

simondbarnes

@cougar yes, and only with RCA output (it is enabled by default with optical output)

@bigjohn
    @toby1 no worries 🙂

Cougar

Bum.

OK, cheers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I’ve got Spotify Premium and Chromecast Audio’ is closed to new replies.