Home Forums Chat Forum It sticks like **** to a blanket. Cleaning tips.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • It sticks like **** to a blanket. Cleaning tips.
    shrinktofit
    Free Member

Erm, tips for cleaning shit off blankets and clothes please.

We are on our dementia journey and I need some processes to clean up after accidents.

Does anyone here have an efficient process that they will share. I have thrown the worst ones away but I can’t do that with newer items regularly.

Do you scrub, soak, spray or just stick it in the washer?

Help💩

theotherjonv

same as with old fashioned nappies, clean off worst as best you can, then soak in dilute Napisan, then wash.
    Assuming a relative rather than a pet, you can get disposable adult pants for this reason. My mum used them mainly because of mobility issues and one of the drugs she was on caused a bit of looseness, and the mobility meant when the urge came, legging it to a disabled toilet wasn’t always easy. She hated them, of course, but hated accidents when she was out far more.
    Sorry for you, terrible disease.

[edit – of course it’s a relative, unless you’re one of those weirdos that dresses your pets up]

cinnamon_girl

Place in a bucket of cold water, perhaps change the water several times and then put in washing machine?

Sorry that you’re having to deal with this, can’t be easy.

jeffl

Only got experience of when the kids were younger. But remove and dispose of anything solid and easy to pickup. Then bang the rest in the washing machine. Use a biological powder/liquid or sports wash.

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Thank you for the kind words.

The ‘cleaning off the worst’ is the part of the process I’m struggling with, it’s not easily removed into a toilet or bag without getting it everywhere else.

I can filter out the things that are manageable but just don’t know where to  begin with the trousers and blankets that have thick gloopy poop on them.

Where do I put that poop and how does one scrape it off in an efficient hygienic way, where and how do others do this bit?

theotherjonv

with a cheap plastic spatula or putty knife thing, and then either into a nappy sack or dog poo bag and bin, or into the toilet if near. It’s grim, I know.

If you’ve still got some fabric covid masks about one of them with some olbas oil (or mint, or whatever) to cover the smell if that’s an issue.

And honestly, once you get past the stage that your Mum is now in nappies, they are so much nicer than having to keep completely changing them every time. It was at the same time better / worse with my mum; worse because the ‘indignity’ of wearing nappies while she was absolutely fully aware but better because you could at least reason it out, and the indignity of messing yourself while out somewhere is worse.

shrinktofit
    Free Member

They are in nappies but I  might find it clean and nicely folded in the bottom of the oven just after the slurry spraying incident🤪

It feels like I want some sort of strainer that I can put the blanket/trousers straight onto and then hose off the worst like one of those bead blasting cabinet things. 

muddyjames
    Free Member

For kids Terry nappies machine wash rinse and low speed spin cycle. Then wash cycle.

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Can I even put poop down the outside rainwater drain? I was thinking of hosing it off outside.

muddyjames
    Free Member

I think that would ideally be foul water drain.

chaos

One of our larger kitchen metal spoons became known as The Poo Spoon. It had a nice thin edge which made it a great scraping tool.

shoko

As jeffl says, biological washing powder. Leave the worst to soak in a bucket with a good strong solution of water & powder.

Zoflora is good disinfectant to cover smells too.

My sympathies are with you, look for the humour where and when you can.

selkirkbear
    Free Member

Get the laundry bags with the alginate strip and just loosley bag everything at the bedside. Put it on a wash cycle that has pre-wash stage. the laundry bag will open at this point and most of the solids will be rinsed away at the end of the pre-wash stage. The main wash should take care of the rest if you use a good quality biological detergent.

reluctantjumper

Having had to do this for my dad most of this year I’ve got a few tips:

Get a big plastic container to use as a makeshift sink and something to scrape with too. Deal with it quickly before it dries. A small board can be handy for using as a flat surface to work on the soiled clothes.
    Use doggy door bags to help pick the bad ones off, pick lump off then spin the bag inside out and tie. They are literally designed for this and some even help mask the smell too. Check with the council how to dispose of them (I was ok to put them in general waste black bags).
    Wash the container out after every use, a quick spray with some bin deodoriser keeps things in check.
    Use a proper anti-smell detergent when you wash the clothes. Nothing I’ve found can touch Halo Sports Wash but it is hard to find currently, I found this HG additive is nearly as good but gets expensive when you add the cost of regular detergent on top.
    When clothes get to the point that cleaning won’t get rid of the smell or stains, even slightly, just get rid of them. Las resort can be one of the various Vanish sprays but they tend to eat the fabric if you need to sue a lot of it.
    If you possibly can have a washing machine set aside for doing just this dirty stuff it at least do a few washes in a row, it can sometimes take an empty cycle with cleaner to remove the smells, otherwise that can transfer to the next load of washing. Also keep on top of filter cleaning too.
    Have a set of your own clothes you can change in to quickly that you don’t mind ruining, splashbacks are a hazard!

Most of all try not to get disheartened about doing it. They (presuming your parents) cleaned you up when a baby so it’s only fair you return the favour! You do eventually become desensitized to it, ask any nurse.

tjagain

Just chuck it in the washing machine 

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. A few things in there that might help build a better process. An upset tummy can mean 3 big clean downs in a day so anything that helps create some order and efficiency will be beneficial.

I will report back if it improves things and think it might be helpful for others.

tjagain

Contact your local continence care services as well for advice, support and equipment. Sometimes accessed via your GP but not always.

this is my local service as an example https://services.nhslothian.scot/continencecareservice/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.