Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Is there too much focus on going down hill in bike design/reviews?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

and can climb 44%+ incline

now that I would love to see

cookeaa

Yep a 3-4" air sprung bouncer is the "Third Way" and probably the best option if you want an easier life, most bouncers will offer better traction, like I said though, most things are climb-able whatever you ride if you can read the trail ahead…

Seems to me like your want the moon on a stick though, a 6" super light bike that propels itself up the hills and flatters your talent quotient on the descent…

What do you actually need?

njee20
    Free Member

A motorbike?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

That's more like it – numbers 🙂

So what's the steepest incline you can get up on a MTB?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Incidently, as long as your sensible with your airtime, I'd put money on a giant anthem (or similar) being the fastest bike arroud any trail center.

Dirt (IIRC) did a timed run of one of the Afan decents (the wall?), the bike was a SC nomad with pikes wound down to 100mm. I'm going to stick my neck out and say thats only because they didnt want to admit to riding a propeer 100mm travel steep angled bike (although they'r now having a love in with 100-130mm bikes by the looks of it)!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Again, from my correspondent:

"The 44% incline (measured with spirit level whilst holding the bike on the ridden slope) was using an EggRing/Shimano Inter8 drive chain. The steepest part 20 meter section the slope was was ridden with pedal power alone and with no run up. With this bike, when attempting to ride what appear to be impossibly steep slopes I am often surprised to I arrive safely at the top.

I also have an unaltered Giant NRS Carbon, that I use as a bench mark, despite its lower weight it cannot climb this hill."

Having used EggRings myself, I can say they make a major contribution to climbing ability, particularly technical climbing:

http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/ovals01.html

They are NOT the same as Biopace, but are similar to Q-Rings.

This is the set-up my correspondent uses on one of his bikes:

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I agree with the original title. There does seem to be a big bias towards going downhill on current hardtails. The angles seem to be heavily biased towards fitting 130-160mm forks when the riding that most people are doing is not really in the same ballpark.

To give an example, there are LOTS of people on this forum with various On Ones, Cotic Souls, Pipedream Sirius etc. Nice frames which accept a 100-120mm fork with no troubles and cope with all manner of abuse on anything we can find in this country for general xc riding. The beast is easily achivable on any such bike.

But that market is not very fashionable these days. Forks are not getting shorter and we need the frames to match up. Along come things like the Blue Pig, 456, BFE etc etc. These frames are quite often just beefed up versions of existing angles so not even anything new. I dare say they make the downs more enjoyable, but does it make it a more complete bike?

The thing that makes me wonder about this even more is the fact that i noticed when the big take up of BFE's happened (Everyone was posting them up), a few months later i noticed a big surge in people selling them because they were struggling to make the most of the heavier, more dh inspried kit.

FuzzyWuzzy

That's certainly oval…

njee20
    Free Member

Those appear to be Specialized Strong Arm cranks. Old school. Crap then, crap now.

Those rings look nuts too, far more 'exaggerated' than Rotor rings. You can keep them.

I'd definitely agree that a 'race' bike like an Anthem etc will be the quickest round most trail centres.

alpin
    Free Member

i blame the mags.

a good mate had his bike built up like a tank because that's what he saw in the mags all the time. he bought into this full face, freeride, google wearing, padded up style of riding.

he's now looking to get a Pike and sell his Lyrik (previously had 180mm double crown thing) because it's less weight and should mean he can ride up hill.

grumm
    Free Member

I'd definitely agree that a 'race' bike like an Anthem etc will be the quickest round most trail centres.

I reckon so too, but would it be the most fun? Depends what you are into I suppose. But given that descents are generally over fairly quickly, the thing that is going to make the most different to your time is performance on the climbs/flats.

njee20
    Free Member

Hmmm, yes I must admit I'd choose a slightly longer travel bike and go a bit slower on the climbs, but be able to make a few more mistakes on the way down!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Hmmm, yes I must admit I'd choose a slightly longer travel bike and go a bit slower on the climbs, but be able to make a few more mistakes on the way down!

Surely that goes against the racer ethos Nick?

Me i just want a bike that i enjoy riding up and down. My riding tends to involve just as much up as it does down. It also seems to involve some pushing and carrying. All things taken into account my hardtail with 115mm does the job. I would like to complement it with a 4" Lightish full susser when funds dictate

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well I think a bike has to be enjoyable to pedal since you'll spend 75% of your ride pedalling. If you're powerful then a big bike is OK to pedal and throw about. For me, I reckon more than 30lb is too annoying to pedal.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@njee20 – Fair enough, each to their own.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=512590#512590

They're not Specialized Strong Arm cranks, they're Thorn Vision:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=9950&src=froogle

Probably true, but I'm yet to go to a trail centre that has very much 'technical', either up or down.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I reckon the fact that more people are taking their bikes abroad has an impact on where the market is going. I think that most trail centres do not need a long travel burly bike – any serious technicalities are over pretty quick. My experience of riding in Spain and the Alps is that the bouncier the bike the better, particularly if I get a lift back up again!

That said if I had to have the "one bike" it would be a full susser under 30lbs and certainly less than 6" travel…

…or maybe a road bike

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

About the cleland ideas – think "landrover" not " lancia stratos" Its about riding asnwhere and getting to places rather than how fast you can go.

juan
    Free Member

If I'm going to ride up a technical climb I'll take my XC race bike, and accept it won't go down as well.

Well I quite not see the difference between a up or down tech trail. Both are about picking up your lines and keeping your wheels on the ground.

Any modern enduro/xxxxxc/gnar rad dude riding/am jey core/ and so and so bike with 130/140 front and rear travel will be as good going up as it will be going down.
    A HT is probably nowhere as good as a FS to go up, but pleny of people seems to think that getting battered is "faster".

njee20
    Free Member

Surely that goes against the racer ethos Nick?

Yes, perhaps I'm defecting from my roots! Race bike for racing definitely, but even I can see where a bit more bounce would make things more fun. I do enjoy a social ride, contrary to popular belief and don't ride everywhere in my big ring! 🙂

Not too sure about your logic Juan, going up you're fighting gravity, so a lighter bike does it better, going down you're assisted by it, so a heavier bike does it better. Couldn't really be more opposite!

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, there's nothing out there that does it all perfectly. I only have one MTB, and it's a 21lb FS XC race bike. If I didn't race I'd have a longer travel bike, most likely still built very light, maybe a Mojo SL or sommat. I doubt it'd climb as well as the Epic (in that it would be slower), but it would probably be a bit more 'fun'.

Edit: as an aside:

Looks like Thorn may have used the same factory as Specialized did 10 years ago!

juan
    Free Member

Not too sure about your logic Juan

Well if we talk about proper technical trail there is a lot of things in common. Most important in both cases being traction (way more important than weight) so a suspension set up that allows you to keep your wheel on the ground is going to do you more good than a few hundreds of grams of the frame.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That Cleland stuff is fascinating. 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Very true, and why a FS will beat a HT on very technical climbs.
    A 85kg rider with a 12kg bike is only 3% lighter than the same guy with a 15kg bike. Traction makes much more difference.

njee20
    Free Member

I agree that weight is not the sole/most important component, but it's a vast sweeping generalisation to say that a bike which does one will do t'other.

An 8" travel DH bike will have better traction than basically anything else out there and the back wheel's not gonna leave the ground, but it's not gonna climb well!

Edit: FS will beat HT because the HT will lose traction more easily, as you've just said, that's more important.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

reckon so too, but would it be the most fun? Depends what you are into I suppose. But given that descents are generally over fairly quickly, the thing that is going to make the most different to your time is performance on the climbs/flats.

I recon the anthem would make up a lot of time on the downhills too! It might just be me but does anyone else feel that 'trail' bikes have got a whole lot duller over the years?

It struk me the other day that I would ride my cannondale f500 (24lb, 80mm travel, v-brakes, skiny tires) very quickly because it made you pointing the bike in one direction and lettign rip, accelerating on the smoother sections before letting it do it's thing over the bumpy bits (with very little controll!). In the same way I'd ride a DH bike, although obviously that would be able to cope with rougher ground, have more controll, and corner better. Most middling bikes in comparison just feel sluggish and don't inspire me to go quick?

juan
    Free Member

Well njee define "beat a ht uphill"?
    Is it faster? Will having to put foot down with a HT and still be faster than a FS with no foot down count as "beating"?

I ride a 15 and something kg RM switch. Old school free ride bike, build and design to be ridden down at high speed (open angles, very high bb) and I still manage to get it to the top of some very technical climbs much better than on my HT.

I think most test are DH orientated because non of the bike I mention above are now bad at going uphill.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@njee20 – Fair point about the cranks… I already knew that though 😉

Obviously, a Cleland is the antithesis of an XC race machine. As TJ says, more like a Land Rover or even a tractor. I have pretty much zero interest in racing – just don't see the point – but the Cleland design piqued my interest for Big Country Rides.

njee20
    Free Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at Juan, I agree with you (and have done throughout) that FS is better for a technical climb than a hardtail.

GEDA
    Free Member

I don't get some of the replys on this thread. I said that I do not feel going down hill the bike holds you back much any more. It is the rider and I will be first to admit that I am not going to be trying any 5 meter gap jumps soon. I was just suprised how much more difficult getting up my favourite tricky bits on the trails are. Nothing to do with trail centers as I live in Sweden and they don't really exist. The only one which I have been to which were hard to climb was the bit before the black on Kielder (I blame being knackered), not been to that many though.

I also think there are different kinds of climb too technical ones and just long grinds. It is the technical ones which I mean and I find them easier to climb with a slacker angled bike. (I have a partiot and Prince Albert)

It just got my thinking that all reviews are about how hard you can ride a bike down hill when maybe bikes are good enough at this already. But there was such a difference between the PA and the Prophet going up technical bits that I thought it would be a good thing for people to think about.

But then again it is a bit like full sus. it is usefull for maybe 5% of the distance covered but those bits are the most fun.

Kit
    Free Member

My Giant Reign (6" front and rear) was the best climbing bike I've ever owned thanks to the Maestro suspension design and big fat tyres. And never held me back on the descents.

nickc

I reckon it's mostly rider ability that determines success, uphill and downhill. Good fitness, technical ability, fast thinking, bike handling, all of those will contribute more than the bike will. (that weird Cleland aside). Having said that, there's surprisingly little I can't climb on my Chameleon, that I could do on any FS I had.

nickc

Olly
    Free Member

my trance does pretty well at both.

uturn revelations on it

100mm fork for climbing like a goat
    130mm fork for descending like a riding god.

i dont use anything else in between at all, so i would rather it was a 2 step setup (or like zocchi ETA), with only the two options, and a flick of a valve switch to change it.

still, the only thing holding it back in either direction is me being fat, slow and a talentless pussy.

mudhound
    Free Member

not too much focus IMO, there are loads of lightweight FS and HT race bikes out there – loads at cycle show – but I don't read magazines that review them or read those reviews when I see them.

bigger bikes with more travel might have better traction but keeping weight over front/front down and getting it up and over stuff seems to be an issue and a couple of extra pounds on the bike and especially wheels and tyres makes a difference. two thirds of the way up the weight difference between a 25lb and 32 lb bike gets a bit larger!

my new slack hardtail doesn't climb too well – but its probably me having to learn new technique

surprised on prophet though as would have thought with right distance between bars and saddle, lower bars/slightly longer stem it should climb really well – mags and buying attitudes do influence OE kit though so "the trend" you mention might influence set up more than design.

I thought a damp wet Kirroughtree had a few testing climb sections.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

jaun,
    nick is agreeing that a full sis climbs better than a ht (as you said). But that a lighter full sus, will climb better than a heavy one.

which would also be true, all things being equal, a bike 22lb full sus, will climb better than a 32lb full sus.

as for bike being biased, it does tend to be that way, as most folk prefer descending to climbing. though a prohet should manage such climbs fine, so (As stated) check your rear tyre.

though i disagree that a lightweight race bike descends badly. on trail centres i'd say the're a load quicker. and in general descdend well.
    comes down to rider skill, i've gone a damn sight quicker down various technical tracks on my 21/22lb ht/fs than folk on much bigger bikes.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

In a purely technical sense, my 37lb 6" travel Turner RFX is a much better climber than my 24lb Soda – supertacky tyres each end, well tuned shocks, and a U-turn fork wound right down, it'll crawl up anything I've got the desire, skill and leg strength to attempt (I have ridden UP all of the Beast on it, but never all in one go, sadly).

Bring speed into the equation, and it would be a lot faster to stick the Soda on my shoulder and run up, but to me that's missing the point (that's a pretty mean climber too in all honesty – certainly less physically draining)

It all depends what you mean by "good at climbing".

GEDA
    Free Member

The funny thing is my PA has a 50 mm stem on it. This was a bit strange to start with but now on the climbs it is so much easier to be climbing up a steep bit, then when you come to a load of rocks or wet roots, and get the front up. It just feels more planted and stable then the Prophet. I will swap the tyres and stem around from the PA and see what difference that makes. I think the 50mm stem will be too short though as I nearly bang my knees on the Prophet.

njee20
    Free Member

Thank you Oli, I glad I'm making sense 🙂

Jon, to me 'good at climbing' is the fastest and cleanest. I suspect a 22lb FS bike would clean the climbs you do on your Turner, but do it faster, that's better IMO.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

oh,
    and dunno about that 44% climb, doesn't seem too daft.
    i've been up 37 on a road bike, and as (if not steeper) on a mountain bike.

mudhound
    Free Member

GEDA do you just ride more dynamically on PA hardtail. My Alpine HT is a bit too cramped for me on climbs with a short stem (first few rides could change gears with knees). My 4in FS bike climbed better before I put 50mm stem on it but I'm happier going down and jumping now. Does Prophet need a bit more cockpit space to move weight around and keep traction?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

To many obstacles in the climbs, that's the problem. All climbs should be like a warming velvet travelator, no tight corners or hinky steps…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Is there too much focus on going down hill in bike design/reviews?’ is closed to new replies.