Home Forums Bike Forum Is there any decent riding near Hay on Wye?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is there any decent riding near Hay on Wye?
  • anniison
    Free Member

Off there in a couple of weeks for a friends 50th, and dont fancy the canoeing planned for the Saturday. Is there anything local or within driving distance (say within an hour)? Links to GPX tracks would be great :o)

Thanks!

molgrips
    Free Member

8O

Can you not read maps?

There’s only a few crappy little trails, known as the Brecon Beacons National Park.

cliffyc
    Free Member

There’s lots of decent READING in Hay On Wye! 8)

stevied
    Free Member

Off there in a couple of weeks for a friends 50th, and don’t fancy the canoeing planned for the Saturday

Some friend you are :roll:

milky1980
    Free Member

Canoeing on the Wye is one of the best ways to see the area, you’ll get to see views that normal tourists will only dream of!!

If you really want to be a social pariah on your mate’s 50th the Gap route is about 30 mins drive away.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s loads but TBH I’d go canoeing. Maybe go a day early to get a ride in as well.

tomd
    Free Member

Spent a summer there, there was a lot of good stuff up the black mountain’s which are right beside Hay. Start by riding up the amusingly named Lord Hereford’s Knob. Just get an OS map.

On the other hand, the Wye is really nice and worth a trip by canoe.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Go canoeing, with any luck you will be playing in the rapids at Symonds Yat. Maybe too tame if you are experienced but great fun if you have never done it before.

johnnystorm

Stayed a week in the Summer. Did a ride from Clyro that looped around Llanbedr hill. Even Mid-summer I had the place to myself. You can start a ride from Hay into the Black Mountains, Drover Cycles in Hay might be able to point you in the right direction.

anniison
    Free Member

I can read a map, but its always helpful to have local knowledge when going somewhere new, bridleways are not always great to ride just because theyre on a map. I looked up some threads on here but most referenced the Beacons as being a better bet, but thought Id check anyway. Will check out Lord Herefords Knob and the gap route, ta for the suggestions :o)

We are quad biking with the birthday girl on the Friday, but canoeing is NOT an option, puking over the side will not be attractive for anyone elses viewing pleasure. Id rather visit the dentist for an extraction!! The birthday girl is clearly far more understanding than some of you lot :oP

anniison
    Free Member

johnnystorm thanks for the info, will pop in on Friday and see what they say :o)

Rubber_Buccaneer

The birthday girl is clearly far more understanding than some of you lot :oP

True. The puking over the side may not be attractive but I’d find it hilariously funny. The diced carrot would follow you down the river :-)

molgrips
    Free Member

Most bridleways are good. How long do you have to ride?

I’ve got a far better ride than the Gap, in the Beacons. Best done anticlockwise – the extra loop is good for a bit more distance.

Fforest Fawr by molgrips[/url], on Flickr

anniison
    Free Member

True. The puking over the side may not be attractive but I’d find it hilariously funny. The diced carrot would follow you down the river

Haha! Well, itd make it a day to remember at any rate…Im sure the local ducks would get a good feed as well :-)

anniison
    Free Member

Fforest Fawr by molgrips

Cheers, much appreciated :-)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Would you really get sick in a canoe?

I get sea sick really easily on all sorts of boats but have never even felt mildly off colour canoeing or kayaking.

aracer
    Free Member

Go canoeing, with any luck you will be playing in the rapids at Symonds Yat.

That would be rather a long trip if starting from Hay!

I did an orienteering event there a few months ago.
    Here’s a 45km route starting from near the town centre.
    http://www.strava.com/activities/134832254

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve had an enoyable time of Lord Hereford’s Knob, everyone should have a go on it!

I’ll get my coat :mrgreen:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is there any decent riding near Hay on Wye?’ is closed to new replies.