• This topic has 90 replies, 70 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by boobs.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Is it dry anywhere in England at the moment?
  • mjsmke

Got a day off work next Monday but its constant rain down here.

Does anyone know of anywhere in England that is currently dry and due to be dry next week?

On or off road. Dont mind as long as its dry and a half decent route.

chestrockwell

Been raining on and off all week in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

binners

The Lancashire moors are like porridge at the moment. Its wetter than an otters pocket. Someone was telling me the other day that we’ve had 30 days in the last 12 months where it hasn’t rained.

I’m off to the lakes tomorrow and apparently its even wetter up there. I’ve even opted to take the road bike instead of the mountain bike. This has never happened before, but I’m just sick of the constant rain and the axle deep mud.  🙁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

The weather always knows when we have our Bank Holiday weekends and schedules wet stuff to fall from the sky. 😉

ac282

The Gorrick I did on Sunday was dry so I’d say Surrey.

argee

After the winter we’ve had i’m terrified of what the April showers will be like 🤣

Kryton57

The Gorrick I did on Sunday was dry so I’d say Surrey.

I was amazed at that, didn’t even clean my bike.

jam-bo

it was dry-ish in devon on sunday.

its rained pretty much non-stop since.

joebristol

Looks wet round these parts / best bet is to pick somewhere that is more rocky then muddy.

martinhutch

Been raining on and off all week in Skipton, North Yorkshire.

Can confirm. It’s pure filth out there. Got some horrified looks off fellow train travellers on the way back after my ride today…

tetrode
    Free Member

It just hailed here in the fod.

J-R

Surrey Hills was reasonably dry yesterday morning. Not totally mud free but good enough so I didn’t have to clean the bike. Since then we’ve had more rain showers today with the same scheduled for Thursday, Friday and maybe Sunday. But Saturday and Monday look pretty good, although not mud free.

If you want mud free try the Heathlands around Hindhead – Thursley: they drain in no time at all.

oldfart

Avoid the Mendips!

hatter

Rode Woburn on Sunday, perfect conditions, didn’t even need to clean the bikes. It’s really sandy there so if it gets too dry it turns into a horrendous sandpit but right now it’s fast, grippy and lovely.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

“I’m off to the lakes tomorrow and apparently its even wetter up there. I’ve even opted to take the road bike instead of the mountain bike. This has never happened before, but I’m just sick of the constant rain and the axle deep mud. ”

One of the reasons I’ve given up riding in the peak is the semi constant mud. I got into the habit of doing lakes rides instead because however much it has rained you can guarantee much, much less mud than the peak. If you chose the route carefully.

I’d reconsider taking the MTB if you can….

bails

I’m off to the lakes tomorrow and apparently its even wetter up there

I was in Keswick last week, it really wasn’t bad. Tuesday morning we were riding through pedal deep water on bridleways around Rosthwaite (but clean flowing water rather than mud) but we went on some of the same bits on Wednesday afternoon and it was basically dry.

BadlyWiredDog

It even rained in Watopia this morning. I know it’s not real, but it felt like a sort of virtual final straw. And not just drizzle, proper Mordor-style, dark and dismal, pouring digital deluge conditions. Not funny.

BadlyWiredDog

One of the reasons I’ve given up riding in the peak is the semi constant mud. I got into the habit of doing lakes rides instead because however much it has rained you can guarantee much, much less mud than the peak. If you chose the route carefully.

Have you considered that you may be living on the wrong side of the wrong country if you don’t like rain? 😉

My ex-climbing partner upped sticks and moved to the Andes after basically tiring of it all.

sharkattack

It’s been raining since July in Sheffield. I’m going to have a major emotional breakdown if it doesn’t back off a bit.

Supposed to be at Hamsterley on Sunday. Guaranteed slopfest but the riding will probably be fun. It’s the aftermath that’s a massive ball ache.

TiRed

Three hours out last night on a wet club run. Two up. I’ll be on Zwift later…

slowoldman

It’s been a lovely afternoon here in Cheshire – just as soon as I finished my ride in pouring rain.

slowol

Currently in Eskdale (Cumbria) and it’s not raining outside. It rained earlier, but showers not constant. Yesterday was dry.

Still a good spot for a short holiday 🙂

crazy-legs

I set off for an afternoon ride cos it looked decent after a morning of showers.
    Got a couple of miles down the ride, it started spitting, sky was black. I stopped to look at the rain app on my phone, saw the massive band of heavy rain moving rapidly my way and turned for home. Was just getting to that point of being really cold by the time I got home, moments later the rain really came down.

Just constantly shite at the moment, paths and trails are a mudbath, the roads hold water in the potholes, leaf mulch and gravel that’s all over them.

I swear next year my WFH will involve a lot more time in Spain…

mjsmke

Im happy riding on the road as long at its actually dry. Just fed up with riding in the wet. Even with mudguards on the gravel bike i get wet feet 10 mins into a ride due to so much water on the roads.

fossy

Hissed it down in Manchester as soon as I got on my bike to ride home !

konagirl
    Free Member

Yes, wet in the east as well. Feb was wettest on record for many parts, 2-3 times usually rainfall in the south. And it hasn’t really eased up. Some fields have been flooded with surface water pooling for months, i.e. the ground is saturated.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2024/february-2024-warm-and-wet-for-the-uk

fooman

It was strangely dry at Dalby Forest on Sunday didn’t have to clean the bikes though we only rode the main trails .

nickfrog
    Free Member

I live on the South Downs, near Findon. I imagine it’s an absolute quagmire so not interested.

I just can’t remember how many days of dry weather it would (conditionnal obviously) require to dry up such a soggy surface?

Any suggestions?

ads678

I’ve been working outside 3 days a week since last September. Then walking the dog twice a day. I’m absolutely **** sick of shitty boggy ground!

smogmonster

No is the answer. Its **** awful. Everywhere. It has been since last July…when i started riding my winter roadbike……Jesus this country is depressing.

garage-dweller

nickfrog

Free Member

I live on the South Downs, near Findon. I imagine it’s an absolute quagmire so not interested.

This +1 (not on them but my closest riding) I’ve pretty much stopped riding since Xmas due to being sick of the wet and filth.

The solution to less mud for the same amount of wet is sailing on the Solent.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Yeah my solution is tennis 😂

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

I was in Hull last Thursday Friday and it was lovely in sunny. Back down here and it’s been glorious all week so far. Easter weekend is looking good too!

Mugboo

Dunkeld, I watched a youtuber ride Dunkeld last week up the mast and it actually looked like Spring!

Whereas Calderdale is still f***ing awful. 7 months of rain 🙁

bikesandboots

Northumberland and County Durham moors? Bone dry last weekend.

nickc

I did a 50 mile loop from Chorlton via New Mills and Lyme and apart from one section just after Lyme Park (a farm which was badly churned up), it wasn’t that bad. Trees start to suck up loads of water this time of year, so I’m being positive…

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

I’ve been sticking to the road, but still f*king sick of it. I tried taking the hardtail for a spin last weekend, everywhere is a bog, not fun.

It’s when you roll the weather forecast app forward a week, and all you see if rain symbols! (as has been the way since July).

Edukator
    Free Member

You ain’t seen nothing yet.

It’s already much wetter than in the period 1960-1990:

Met Office: A review of the UK’s climate in 2023 

And going to get much wetter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Miocene_Climatic_Optimum

Which is perhaps preferable to southern Spain which is heading back to desert conditions.

alpin
    Free Member

If it makes you feel any better I’m in Tuscany and it’s been raining solid the last three days….

Had two weeks of torrential rain end of Feb/March.

However, I was sunbathing naked outside at the start of Feb…

ads678

Yeah my solution is tennis 😂

I’ve even started going to the gym!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.