Home Forums Bike Forum Is ebiking “giving in/up”?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 727 total)
  • Is ebiking “giving in/up”?
    razorrazoo

My word there’s some serious ignorance and high-horsedness on this thread.  Happy Christmas everyone. 

tjagain

MOntgomery – you completely fail to understand how I ride it  and are unwilling to even consider you might be wrong

something (fitness) that e-bikers pretty much by definition have indeed given up on.

Is just baloney balderdash and piffle

As I explained I put in as much effort over the same time as I would on a non ebike just do a lot more climbing so get a lot more descending

flyingpotatoes

Usual big shi#*ers gobbing off as usual.

Merry Christmas 🌲

copa
    Free Member

Do any ebikers accept that using a motorised bike is generally less beneficial to your health and fitness?
    Or is it just not talked about?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Went out yesterday on the ebike, went out this morning on my single speed. Same level of knackered after both rides, just went further/faster on the ebike.

Giving up isn’t buying an ebike, it’s telling other people they’re wrong on the internet 😁

mandog

It’s fun without the satisfaction 

singlespeedstu

Do any ebikers accept that using a motorised bike is generally less beneficial to your health and fitness?

I’m not a full time ebiker but can tell you that when i was racing my motorised bikes before MTB was a thing i was the fittest I’ve ever been.
    MX is **** hard work.

tjagain

Do any ebikers accept that using a motorised bike is generally less beneficial to your health and fitness?Or is it just not talked about?

For me as explained above its simply not true

dyls

It allows me to get out on ‘rest’ days – days I otherwise wouldn’t ride, after say a hard ride on my normal mtb.

tomhoward

Than not riding at all? Lolz

Most e-bikers report that they ride more often or further than if they didn’t have one.

BadlyWiredDog

Do any ebikers accept that using a motorised bike is generally less beneficial to your health and fitness?Or is it just not talked about?

I’m part of an e-mtb gang and we often head down the pub after rides to have a few pies and a pint. Often the conversation revolves around our deteriorating health and non-existent fitness, then we laugh and say, stuff it, we’re the ones having all the fun. One of the guys died last year after he became so obese that he crushed his bike, the battery was damaged and exploded killing him instantly.

At his funeral, no-one was sad, we just talked about how he’d died doing what he loved. Honestly, who cares about health and fitness when you’re the ones having all the fun. If you want to obsess about your weight and how many watts you crank out on Zwift, be my guest, but the honest truth is that no-one else cares and trying to ‘other’ a whole group of folk simply because you’re envious, seems a little sad to be honest. 

copa
    Free Member

I’m part of an e-mtb gang and we often head down the pub after rides to have a few pies and a pint. Often the conversation revolves around our deteriorating health and non-existent fitness, then we laugh and say, stuff it, we’re the ones having all the fun.

I respect that. I think it’s a lot more honest and reasonable than a lot of the claims made above.

pothead
    Free Member

It could easily be less beneficial but that will depend entirely on how the ebike is being used. I still ride an mtb as well as an ebike, after 6 months of riding both I can say I almost always end up equally as tired having ridden the ebike as I do on the mtb, usually having done at least double the distance and elevation in a similar time while also doing steep techy climbs that wouldn’t be possible on an mtb. Descending at speed on a 26kg ebike definitely gives the upper body and core more of a workout than the mtb does, so in some ways I’m possibly fitter/stronger than before I bought it. I don’t find climbing on the mtb any harder than it used to be, although I ride for fun more than fitness most of the time

tpbiker
    Free Member

Im fit, do a bit of racing. I wouldn’t use an e road bike. But If someone gave me an e gravel bike I’d use it in a flash. Gravel biking for me is about getting out in wilds, chatting with mates, cake stops and seeing the countryside. Having to bust my ass on a climb after 2 pints and a burger adds nothing to the experience. If I want to get fit I’ll take the road bike and worry about watts, heart rate etc..but if I just want to have fun I’ll take the gravel bike

and I’ve certainly not given up..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I respect that. I think it’s a lot more honest and reasonable than a lot of the claims made above.

Ignorance is bliss.

I’ve actually been lying this whole time. I just smoke rollies and lurk at prominent mtb sites, waiting to cruise past whippets and trail riders in turbo with a pint on the bars just so I can feel superior whilst not trying. Then I go to the pub and complain to my obese ride group that the old stick in the muds can’t move with the times, just before I mainline pie and chips.

singlespeedstu

honest and reasonable

I suspect BWD may be taking the piss just a little…

monkeyboyjc

God bias is rife isn’t it? Yes you can use an ebike to go to the shops replacing a car, you can be elderly, infirm or disabled and use the bike in boost 100% of the time putting as little effort as you can. 

But… That’s definitely not how the vast majority of us, regular mtb’r or cyclists on this forum would and do use one, including the ones who’ve never ridden one…. 

Aidy
    Free Member

But If someone gave me an e gravel bike I’d use it in a flash.

Conversely, a gravel e-bike seems to miss everything I like about gravel bikes. There’s a lot of charm in being able to smash up climbs on something that’s about two thirds the weight of a mountain bike, and they’re great for all day (and the next day, and the day after…) bikepacking trips.

E-cargo bikes, however…

iamtheresurrection

Too many variables, even for ‘generally’. Heart rate tends to be about the same, peak power doesn’t. 

As I said earlier, I’ve only ridden manual mountain bikes this year, and haven’t touched the ebike once.  Generally I’d say I use my road bike, gravel bike, turbo and run for fitness – I just ride my mountain bike to mess around in the woods with my mates and enter the odd race.  

Next year I’ve entered the Fred Whitton for the first time, so might roll the ebike out again and use it in trail and boost for recovery days – and I’ll love it. 

I hate this thread though.  Arguing with strangers on the internet earlier means I left the beef in for a bit too long and it borderline ruined a really, really nice rib. 

Aidy
    Free Member

I’m far from an ebiker, but I acknowledge that I get less fitness benefit from riding outside to spending the equivalent time on a turbo trainer.

BadlyWiredDog

I suspect BWD may be taking the pissI

I’m not sure Big Kev’s widow would appreciate that comment…

copa
    Free Member

I’m far from an ebiker, but I acknowledge that I get less fitness benefit from riding outside to spending the equivalent time on a turbo trainer.

As we start to learn more about the fitness benefits of motorised biking, I would imagine that e-bike turbo trainers will be the next logical step.

weeksy

I would imagine that e-bike turbo trainers will be the next logical step.

NAh, that’s just silly.

ditch_jockey

But I understand you like to talk about your environmental credentials while dobbing out of your responsibilities.

I love the smell of misplaced sanctimony in the morning 😂

chiefgrooveguru

“Because they’re trying to stay fit (and reduce their impact on ‘our’ NHS), something that e-bikers pretty much by definition have indeed given up on.”

I was the first of my riding circle to get an eMTB. I’ve been commuting every day on it for over five years, sometimes the short fast way, sometimes the longer way, always with some fun stuff. I also go to the gym about four times a week to lift heavy things. And a bit of yoga and stuff. And do a job which can be fairly physical at times. And run around after my three small children.

I’m as fit as I’ve ever been and although I’m not an XC racer I think I have a good balance of cardio fitness, strength and flexibility. As I’ve said before on this thread, about 18 months ago I switched to a singlespeed hardtail for most of my local MTBing, with the Levo doing gnarlier stuff, self-uplift and commuting.

I don’t believe I’m the only person who buys an ebike who continues to enjoy the challenges of physical exercise and chooses to keep fit, strong and healthy even though it requires effort and commitment. In fact, the majority of my riding mates who’ve bought e-bikes are still plenty fit enough to ride hard on their normal bikes too.

Open your mind.

chiefgrooveguru

“ I’m far from an ebiker, but I acknowledge that I get less fitness benefit from riding outside to spending the equivalent time on a turbo trainer.”

Riding on a turbo is only good for pedalling fitness – heart, lungs, legs.

Riding a MTB hard both uphill and downhill may not be as good for very specific cardio cycling fitness but it is better for full body fitness.

If anyone thinks an ebike is too heavy to lift over stiles and gates but they’re fast at pedalling uphill then they need to look at how functional their fitness really is – and their future elderly self will thank them for it.

tonyg2003

There are some interesting opinions on here. For me it’s all about riding bikes and getting out there whether you are on a traditional or eMTB. One of my first friends to get an eMTB was recovering from cancer and it got him out with the group which was brilliant. Also I see that for some people it just makes life easier, or they go further for the same time or they get more downhill. How hard it is depends on how hard you push yourself no matter what bike you are on.

EMTB are not for me at the moment since I’m a pretty fit mid-50’s cyclist but it will be for me at some stage.

I guess the only negative I see is that my friends have divided up to e-MtB and traditional MTB which is a bit of a shame.

e road bikes have also worked well on some trips I’ve been to the Alps recently. So that my mixed fitness groups have ridden together.

mr edd
    Free Member

. I don’t discount buying an ebike at some point but still value bikes being simple mechanical objects that are relatively easy to maintain.

Sums it up for me, im 63 maybe at some point 🤷‍♂️ but not now.

mrdobermann
    Free Member

In my experience the people I know who have gone down the e-bike route love it but it’s really not for me and when I’ve had a try it’s clearly  easier for me! To a man they have sold their regular mountain bikes some have probably got fitter because they now get out more some have lost some fitness! Struggling on gravel rides they previously wouldn’t have. Some have gained super human powers and are utter dicks!

For me it really would be giving up.

funkmasterp

The only thing that concerns me is the serious lack of strength some of you seem to be admitting to. 50lb is not a heavy weight to lift. If you think it is then you need to drop a bit of cardio and start some strength training. I’m properly out of shape at the moment but would have no problem shouldering 20 odd Kg and walking about with it/overhead pressing if needs be.

All those years of obsessing over component weights has backfired 😂 I suppose carrying my kids on my shoulders all these years has paid off in some way.

Gribs

That depends how you use it. I’ve not bought one as the reliability is crap and they’re worse to ride on fun stuff. I’ve hired one a couple of times this year, once in the Lakes with my wife where my heart rate barely got over 120 bpm but we had a nice ride where we could comfortably ride together. Another was with a mate at Glenlivet after an morning of riding our own bikes, where we emptied the batteries in 1:40 riding at an average of 150 bpm, which is about normal for me on a mtb ride. I definitely had more of an upper body workout riding that bike than I usually do on my own one.

dogbone

They (e-bikes) do trash our local trails and the batteries are an ecological hand grade but sure crack on.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m 48 so I’m currently engaged in a battle with age, so for me it would be giving up. However, that’s just my rule – make your own rules.

My mate wants an e-gravel bike, he’s older than me but much faster even unassisted.

tjagain

Dogbone.  Do you drive to ride?  I don’t .  Driving to ride is the real planet killer

Aidy
    Free Member

The only thing that concerns me is the serious lack of strength some of you seem to be admitting to. 50lb is not a heavy weight to lift.

Lumping like, a third of your body weight, over your head, when it’s an awkward shape and flaps around, is not to be sniffed at.

retrorick

I’m 48 

I thought you were older! 

weeksy

Lumping like, a third of your body weight

I wish. Unless ebikes are really really heavy

funkmasterp

Lumping like, a third of your body weight, over your head, when it’s an awkward shape and flaps around, is not to be sniffed at.

I’m under 11st and it is a piece of piss. Not heavy at all. Surely you’re used to lifting bikes if you’re a cyclist. Just a slightly heavier bike. Sounds like eBike ownership results in poor lifting technique and a lack of strength 😉

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The only thing that concerns me is the serious lack of strength some of you seem to be admitting to. 50lb is not a heavy weight to lift. If you think it is then you need to drop a bit of cardio and start some strength training.

I’m properly out of shape at the moment but would have no problem shouldering 20 odd Kg and walking about with it/overhead pressing if needs be.

For how long?

I’m by no means strong. In fact I’m very much not strong. But I’m not a complete waster…. been known to do a hundred rock climbs in a day on occasion… Nothing hard though. used to have a fair amount of stamina.
    I also would have no problem shouldering 20kg, walking a bit and pressing overhead ( whatever that actually means)
    But I’d have serious problems carrying an ebike any distance whatsoever. I find carrying a real bike and rucksack bad enough. Doing so with an additional 10kgs of eeb would be a nightmare.

If you think differently then please can we do the four passes next spring for a laugh. I want to see this…

Pressing a bike and hikeabiking are two totally different things.

funkmasterp

No we can’t because I have no interest in doing the four passes. I once carried a Transition Trans AM about three and a half miles. Some of which was across seriously rocky terrain and through woodland. Had a blow out part way through a ride and had to carry it home. A bit awkward but that’s it. I regularly carry my ten year old kid around on my shoulders too. It’s really not that difficult or heavy.

It may shock you but I do ride off road and have previously carried my bike(s) over, under and across various things.

I’ve found STW kryptonite! Carrying mildly heavy goods across uneven terrain 😱😂

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.